PDA

View Full Version : top handled vs rear handled chainsaw

mower&more1986
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Ive had both top handled and rear handled chainsaws
the one i got right now a super 2 homelite that i use for my own personal use
and Ive had in the pasted but had to sell because i needed the money at the time was a stihl ms 180 and 310. about all i come up with is that top handled is lighter weight and are for tree arborists.
i didn't get much of a chance to use the 310 but used the 180 for some light work storm debris and some light tree pruning.

i go with the top handled for its light weight
what your is guys opinions on the matter?

kaferhaus
06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Top handled is for "trimming" use it to fell trees and you're asking to get cut.... badly.

mower&more1986
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
nope i dont cut down trees.I leave that to the pros that know what there doing.

just over sized storm debris. that doesnt fit in the bed of my truck and ive got a manual stihl pole saw for stuff i cant reach with the chainsaw or isn't safe to cut.

Nosmo
06-17-2009, 05:54 AM
The lighter top handled saws are designed for up in the tree type trimming. I would suppose using one of these on the ground for cutting up storm damaged limbs on the ground would be OK.

I have a friend who cuts limbs and fells trees and also works in a bucket with a 72 foot reach. He and his crew members use a smaller top handle saw on the small stuff on the ground.

Nosmo

bill w
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
For pruning they are great, but for storm damage where the bar tip could contact a limb the kickback potential is much greater (one hand to control saw vs. two hands).

terrapro
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Top handled saws are for professional use. They should only be used by people who need them. If you are cant handle the weight of a full size saw you should not be using a top handled one. They are dangerous and should require a license to operate.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Top handled saws are for tree climbing or light ground work. The rear handle saws give you better control of larger CC engines & longer bars & provide better control of kickback's. This is why you have no Stihl Magnum saws:dizzy: with top handles

Homelite's are junk!! when hurricane Elvis came through Memphis I watched as my neighbors struggled with their Homelights, Craftsmans, Polans, etc. I then got out my Stihl MS390, and walked down the street, and unleased the Power of Stihl with a quickness, the neighbors were open mouthed and amazed at what "real" chainsaws do.

The sound of a Stihl chain saw engine vs any Homelite is proof in the pudding. NEVER sell your Stihl Chainsaws their priceless, Dad taught me that.

Ive had both top handled and rear handled chainsaws
the one i got right now a super 2 homelite that i use for my own personal use
and Ive had in the pasted but had to sell because i needed the money at the time was a stihl ms 180 and 310. about all i come up with is that top handled is lighter weight and are for tree arborists.
i didn't get much of a chance to use the 310 but used the 180 for some light work storm debris and some light tree pruning.

i go with the top handled for its light weight
what your is guys opinions on the matter?

mower&more1986
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
well one thing i like about my homelite vs new saw is that came from the factory with a bar. i suppose you can buy them for the stihls i i would assume.
btw ive have watched and own a stihl safety dvd for my old saws.
so i do have some clue what im doing and ive checked out this guy video series just for some info http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTOlmCijjs&feature=channel_page
but yeah someday i do hope to get a new chainsaw.

jkilov
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Top handled saws are for professional use. They should only be used by people who need them. If you are cant handle the weight of a full size saw you should not be using a top handled one. They are dangerous and should require a license to operate.
Correct, they're designed for in-tree use only. Cutting solid limbs not unstable debris on the ground. And in some states you do need an arborist's license to obtain them.