PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a good deal?

Chris "Greenville"
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
1994 ford f150 long bed 4x4 5.0 liter V8 with 147,000 miles. Sale price $2650. Tell me the honest truth... also any problems that I should watch out for. Thanks, Chris

punt66
06-17-2009, 05:51 AM
1994 ford f150 long bed 4x4 5.0 liter V8 with 147,000 miles. Sale price $2650. Tell me the honest truth... also any problems that I should watch out for. Thanks, Chris

The honest truth. Thats alot of miles. I have that exact same truck for sale with 120k for $1500. These trucks have weak transmissions and rot around the rear springs and spring hangers. Look the truck over underneath for rust. Check the brake lines and transmission lines.

Chris "Greenville"
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM
That's the feedback that I'm looking for.... Thanks...Punt66.. The previous owner was a ford employee here in Louisville and a mechanic and has all the records for the truck. The brake lines were replaced and the transmission has record of being serviced. It does has the typical rust on the bed above the rear tires but not all the way through to the outside yet. The undercarriage was compltely under coated and is is great shape. I was a little concerned about the miles also before I saw the records. This is going to be my lawn only truck and I typically drive about 4000 miles a year part-time. CHris

ZTR_Diesel
06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, I have had a little more experance with the old 300 cid I-6 engines, but that truck should serve you well knowing it was owned by a person who kept their service records. Records alone count for quite a bit in my estimation.

Had a co-worker who was given his father's 1994 2wd ext-cab short-bed F150 when he graduated college. The truck had the same driveline (but 2wd) as yours, the 305 V8 and 4-speed auto. His father was a courier who, to say it lightly, traveled extensively. This individuals' truck had 612,000 miles when he left our facility to join a new company in Arkansas. His father had always practiced 5k oil changes and the engine had not been opened past a valve cover.

So I guess with good maintance, and maybe a bit of insanity, one could get these old trucks to last for a very long time. I just wonder if he replaced the driver's seat on a regular interval.

Chris "Greenville"
06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the truck... Best part.... It's green to go with the lawn service theme! Thanks, Chris

ZTR_Diesel
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow - looks very nice. It should work well for you.

Gravel Rat
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Spring hanger rot is really common.

Truck looks good is it a XLT ?

Chris "Greenville"
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Gravel Rat... I did check the springs also.. thanks for the reply... The entire chassis is undercoated... can't find any rust to speak of.. Yes this is the XLT version. All power, windows, locks, auto 4 speed trans. He also replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor).. another ford problem that I'm aware of. Great comments... looking for more.

buttaluv
06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Might check front end stuff, that probably has the TTB front end or whatever they called it, lots of moving parts in those, Ball Joints, Bearings, Etc....I like that body style! Good Purchase!

LoneToySoldier
06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Nice looking truck. I had an 85 F250 and a 96 F150 xlt 4x4 5 speed. The 96 wore out all 4 balljoints around 100k. Universals went not too long after that. The ttb has a problem with rotting out the stock radius arm bushings, but they're easy to change. Other than basic maintenance, the only real problems I had was it had a 3.07 ring and pinion so it was worthless for towing anything heavy, but it got 18mpg on the interstate, and those had that aluminum Mazda manual transmission that had a weak front input and synchros. I put a clutch, slave cylinder, rear main, and flywheel in it around 150k miles. Around 175k it lost 3rd gear synchros and grinded every time I shifted to 3rd. Still got $4200 out of it and miss it. But my 03 z71 is ext. cab with suicide doors and its nice to have room for gear in the cab sometimes. Still probably have a ton of ford parts laying around if you need any.

Chris "Greenville"
06-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Well like any high milage truck I had to fix a few things.... Neutral safety switch, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter.... now the problem is power. With the trailer hooked up it struggles pulling up the hills. I have to get on the gas to make it go. Is that normal out a ford f150 auto with a 5.0 EFI engine? I expected a little more power out of a V8. I was using a sport-trac to pull the trailer and it had more get up and go out of the V6 then this truck. Any ideas? Thanks...

LoneToySoldier
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
You need to see what gears you have - you might have the same problem I had with mine. If you have the 3.07 ring and pinion, its not going to pull well. Its not just horsepower, its also gearing. You can look the vin number up on several sites to determine what gears you got.