PDA

View Full Version : Seeding advice

skidsteer
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Hello,
We are a small dirt works skidsteer service that is moving into lawns.This is a rural area and most the customers are not you fussy city folks, they just want a smooth lawn that's green. I also mention there is not much equipment available to rent or much for services in this area. (home depot is 250 miles away)

I removed a few trees and ground out some stumps, trenched in weeping tile for a washer drain to keep water off the lawn, then rototilled the lawn, about 250 ft square as it was rough as h*ll, filled in some bigger holes with the bucket, today I going back over it with the power rake to smooth it all up.
Its basically flat (@ 3% slope to river side my guess) with good sun exposure.
The customer wants me to seed it which is a new venture for me, hydro seeding is not a option here to my knowledge, sod is, but few homeowners go to the expense.

It has been a wet, cold year here so far and things finally dried up enough to get started without making ruts.
Soils are mainly clays and black dirt on a small area. We are in northern Ontario. I thinking or seeding it and raking it lightly by hand to cover it up.
Any advice on getting it green again?
Skidsteer:canadaflag:

Smallaxe
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Clays and skidsteers do not mix well. You rototilled then ran over it with some kind of leveller.
IF your soil is not too compacted, then raking in some seed by hand should do just fine as long as there is water available several times per day -or - you have an adequate moisture holder like compost, over the top of it.
Soak the ground after the compost is spread over the area. Keeping the compost moist and the clay will not dry out.

If you do it right - you could out perform the weed seeds. :)
How many daylight hours are you getting up there?

skidsteer
06-18-2009, 11:15 PM
After roto tilling I harley raked (erskines version of a harley), it compacted some but the top inch was still loose, spread the seed, 40 % Kentucky bluegrass, 40% creeping red fescue and 20% perennial rye grass
http://www.pickseed.com/WCanada/techSheets/turfmixtures/prairie_green_ts.pdf
then spread a skim of muskeg (what passes for black dirt in these parts though its not real top soil) over it with the rake and told the client it needs watered twice per day for 30 days. I guess we will see.
We are right along the 49th parallel (US Border) and are seeing about 15 hours of light now.
Ken