PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Your own blades.

Okielawman28
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Does any one on here sharpen their own blades, or do they simply have their dealer do it.

What does it typicaly cost per blade.

If you sharpen your own, what is the best way some of you have found that works best for you.

Thanks

Chris

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Do a search and read the 500+ threads related to blade sharpening. It all already posted.

exmark 1
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
i pay my dealer 5.00 a piece

greenred
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I get out my hand grinder and go at them, but I sure wish I could justify a grinder designed specifically for sharpening blades that way I could get the same result all the time.

saylorsdad
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
not trying to hijack the thread what is the best angle to sharpen blades
Posted via Mobile Device

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Bench grinder and angle grinder here. About the simplest thing in the world - I can't imagine paying someone to do it...

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Bench grinder and angle grinder here. About the simplest thing in the world - I can't imagine paying someone to do it...

Actually, you are paying someone, yourself, in money saved from paying someone else to do them. :D

Littleriver1
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
not trying to hijack the thread what is the best angle to sharpen blades
Posted via Mobile Device

30 degree ........................................................................

Littleriver1
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Do a search and read the 500+ threads related to blade sharpening. It all already posted.

Oh, let the thread run. I need to read it all again.

Littleriver1
06-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Does any one on here sharpen their own blades, or do they simply have their dealer do it.

What does it typicaly cost per blade.

If you sharpen your own, what is the best way some of you have found that works best for you.

Thanks

Chris

It really all depends on how many blades you are going through, and that depends on how many and the size lawns you cut. If you are changing 3 or 4 mowers with 3 blades each every day then you need a blade sharpener. If you're only doing 2 or 3 blades every couple a days then you can use a hand held 4 inch grinder. It's the same as every thing else. The best equipment you can get is always better. It all comes down to cost.

nobagger
06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Just go buy a 8" grinder, they usually come with a course wheel and a finer wheel. The 8" is better I think because they have a 1" wide wheel. We try to change our blades every week. We usually have wet heavy grass this time of year so they get dull pretty quick. I spent about 120 bucks on a Delta 8"- 1/2 hp grinder and I'm changing 9 blades and no problems so far. So for under 130 bucks you can sharpen your own blades. Most dealers around here charge somewhere around 2-5 bucks a blade if they are off the mower.

tacoma200
06-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I use a hand grinder and try to duplicate the 30 degree angle of a newer blade. I sure would like to have a Magna Matic though.

Nosmo
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes most folks on this site sharpen blades themselves. I have used several methods - belt sander, bench grinder, converted bench grinder into dedicated blade grinder, angle grinder with grinding stone but my favorite method is using an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap sanding wheel.

I try to maintain a 30 degree bevel on the blade.

Nosmo

jcltyson
06-17-2009, 04:10 PM
My magna-matic sharpens it 30 degrees everytime without fail and you would be surprised at how much smoother the deck runs after balancing a set of blades (of course that will depend on how out of balance they were to begin with). I was shocked at how, even some new blades are out of balance.
This is my opionion and there are as many of those as members on this site. The investment in a sharpener/balancer isn't cheap but I like the results.

STIHL GUY
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
its $6.50 a blade here and thats why i sharpen my own

Okielawman28
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Thank everyone for thier replies, I think I have a angle grinder over at my old house, so I guess I need to go get it, lol.

I will experiment on an old blade and see what happens.

Thanks again

Chris

Maple Wood
06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I have two 4 1/2" angle grinders that I use to sharpen blades with. One has a regular abrasive wheel on it. I use that to get most of the nicks out. The other has a flap disc. The flap disc does a real nice job finishing on the blades, seems that you can control it better and not nick the blade. I try to replicate the factory angle. It seems if you vary a few degrees it does not make a big difference.

lazer 46
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I use a hand grinder and try to duplicate the 30 degree angle of a newer blade. I sure would like to have a Magna Matic though.

The grass would really fly out of those tigers if you had a mag edge on your blades.

Mickhippy
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
It really all depends on how many blades you are going through, and that depends on how many and the size lawns you cut. If you are changing 3 or 4 mowers with 3 blades each every day then you need a blade sharpener. If you're only doing 2 or 3 blades every couple a days then you can use a hand held 4 inch grinder. It's the same as every thing else. The best equipment you can get is always better. It all comes down to cost.

I have to dissagree with that!
Im solo and sharpen 3 blades 2 or 3 times a week now. I hated using the angle grinder so I would sharpen once/twice then buy new blades (2 sets/mth.) This was a very expensive exercise at min $20/blade. Trouble was they would get trashed by rocks/sticks/scalping(rough horse paddocks etc) so it would take ages to get them sharp and some sort of proper angle. I hated doing it with a passion!

I ended up importing a MagnaMatic combo at about $1200au and haven't looked back. It paid for itself in the first season no problem and my blades are always sharp and balanced. Its not a chore to sharpen anymore and only takes a few minutes from blades off to blades on. Can also check blade straightness!

I dont know why people spend all this money on expensive trucks, the best trimmers, blowers, mowers but dont want to spend money on something like a sharpener. Was arguably the best, time, effort saving purchase Ive made for the shop! Except the compressor, air gun and impact wrench.

I only hear people say they should of got one sooner, not they shouldnt of bought one at all! Do yourselves a favour and get one! (not brand specific but the magna balancer is great)

Sorry for the long post! Its winter here now and I have bugger all to do!:drinkup:

kjslawn
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
i pay my dealer 5.00 a piece

OMG I would go broke I learned real quick how to sharpen blades

Jason Rose
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I can't fathom PAYING someone to sharpen my blades... Of course I can't see paying for a lot of things (services) that people tend to pay for.

I used an angle grinder for years, worked well. For some unknown reason I decided to spend $800 on a dedicated blade grinder this last winter (RBG, 3/4 hp.) I like it! Before I could do a set of 3 blades, maybe 2 sets, and my wrist was killing me from holding the grinder. Now I can do 4 or 5 sets of blades in one setting... Yes I said sitting, I found that the bar chair in the garage is just the right height to SIT at the grinder and do blades :laugh:

My buddy/employee/competition (yes, he's all 3) has me sharpen his blades too. Unfortunately he dosn't understand the concept ot PAYING me for the service.

eatonpcat
06-18-2009, 07:30 AM
My buddy/employee/competition (yes, he's all 3) has me sharpen his blades too. Unfortunately he dosn't understand the concept ot PAYING me for the service.

Jason... You looking for any new friends, if so I will bring some blades!

Around here, dealers charge about $8.00 a blade:hammerhead:

greenred
06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Jason... You looking for any new friends, if so I will bring some blades!

Around here, dealers charge about $8.00 a blade:hammerhead:

Thats a good deal. Last time I went to order blades locally they were Gator Blades and the Dealer wanted 30 bucks a blade. I ended up ordering from a Online Site and got 3 of them for the price of 1 from the dealer - that includes shipping. The dealer went out of business not to long after that.

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Thats a good deal. Last time I went to order blades locally they were Gator Blades and the Dealer wanted 30 bucks a blade. I ended up ordering from a Online Site and got 3 of them for the price of 1 from the dealer - that includes shipping. The dealer went out of business not to long after that.

I think he was referring to sharpening not purchasing.

Dan

Beckham
06-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Does nobody make and adapter that will fit and angle or bench grinder or maybe a belt sander for a lot less money. Might not be as good but would help keep everything straight and balanced? Maybe someone had some product(s) that was intended for something else but adapted to sharpen blades by some ingenious lawn care professional?

greenred
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Dan

hahahahahah DOH

I can be such a crack head. :laugh:

Exmarks.The.Spot
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I just use a 4inch hand held grinder.

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
hahahahahah DOH

I can be such a crack head. :laugh:

Have another cup of coffee. :waving:

Does nobody make and adapter that will fit and angle or bench grinder or maybe a belt sander for a lot less money. Might not be as good but would help keep everything straight and balanced? Maybe someone had some product(s) that was intended for something else but adapted to sharpen blades by some ingenious lawn care professional?

Here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274750) is a recent thread.

Dan

eatonpcat
06-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Dan

You are correct sir!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I just use a 4inch hand held grinder.

You know what, I just sharpened my own Quick 36 blades today with a 4 inch hand grinder. Was nervous I was going to mess up the angle on them.

Well, I did just fine - it is very easy to sharpen with the hand grinder. You just need to feather the grinder and not take off too much metal with any one pass. Anyone wanting an easy way to sharpen blades, and cheap, just use a hand grinder - if I can do it anyone can.

Littleriver1
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
OMG I would go broke I learned real quick how to sharpen blades

The last time i was at my dealer there were 3 people lined up to have blades taken off the mowers and sharpened. They charge $5 per blade and $15 to take them off the mower and replace them. My question is if you leave your blades for a few days and come back to pick them up. How do you know you are getting your own blades back?

Roger
06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I use a 4 1/2" DeWalt angle grinder. But, I believe the flap disk wheel is far superior to a grinding wheel. I use 36 grit if possible, 60 grit is next best. I sharpen frequently, and I rarely hit anything that makes a ding in the blade. Only a few swipes with the flap disk will bring them right to a sharp edge easily and quickly.

I use Tiger flap disks, but I think you can buy flap disk wheels at Home Depot. I had an opportunity to buy several a couple of years ago, so haven't shopped recently. One flap disk will last for half a season (1-48" ZTR, 1-36" w/b, two hand mowers). They are expensive, but well worth the money.

topsites
06-18-2009, 10:10 PM
The last time i was at my dealer there were 3 people lined up to have blades taken off the mowers and sharpened. They charge $5 per blade and $15 to take them off the mower and replace them. My question is if you leave your blades for a few days and come back to pick them up. How do you know you are getting your own blades back?

Probably mostly because the wrong ones won't fit your mower.

sdk1959
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I had excellent results using this blade sharpener made by Power Care available from Home Depot. Fits on your drill, grinding stone is at a 30° angle.

It does not come up on Home Depot's website but is available in their store for $5.96. Here's a link to ones being sold on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390004810680

EddieWalker
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. I've been using my angle grinder to sharpen my blades, and never thought of using sanding disk. I have one too, it just never occured to me. Now that's what I'm going to try.

Eddie

Roger
06-20-2009, 09:38 PM
...., and never thought of using sanding disk. I have one too, it just never occured to me. ....

As some of have discussed, we don't use a simple sanding disk, rather the flap wheel disk. It is a different item. It is not just a simple flat disk, but rather a series of laid-up pieces of sanding paper, positioned in segments around the disk (perhaps 40-50 segments).

Nosmo
06-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi: I'm back in here in this thread again. I still prefer the angle grinder with a flap disc instead of the other methods I have tried.

I'd suggest if you know of any fellow LCO's in your area stop by and talk to them about sharpening methods. You may get an invite to come over and bring a set of blades and see how this person does it.

Nosmo