PDA

View Full Version : Ford, D-Max, Cummins

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Pics require little explanation

kps2389
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Shouldn't the title read "Powerstroke, D-Max, Cummins. I like the one on the far right the best.

mnglocker
06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Chevy forgot to build beefy rod ends. (not unusual for GM)

Ford's looks pretty average and has improved the strength of the rod bearing design.

And Cummins's Just plain old has very large/strong parts, not to mention a stronger wrist pin.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
When your towing all day, what is more important the most interior luxury or A Cummins diesel. Ford diehards will take creature comforts over funtion, this is why the Ford Clan thinks Cummins owners are nuts, like me:waving: I would rather have a Cummins diesel in a Dodge truck with modest interior with a stout in-line diesel.

Chevy forgot to build beefy rod ends. (not unusual for GM)

Ford's looks pretty average and has improved the strength of the rod bearing design.

And Cummins's Just plain old has very large/strong parts, not to mention a stronger wrist pin.

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
My uncle used to be diesel shop foreman and he told me that the most common truck that was in there were the dodges.

Gravel Rat
06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Lets see Ford and Chev have 2 more rods sharing the same load as a Cummins so its natural the Rods can be smaller. Not rocket science just physical engineering.

I guess Dodge guys have to show that picture because its the only big rod they can brag about their girlfriend/wife just laughs when they drop their pants. The wife says wheres the batteries :laugh:

I never heard of a 6.0 powerstroke conrod letting go or a 7.3 the same.

You want to see a heavy con rod and piston look at a 363 Ford Lehmann I meantioned it a few times they belittle a Cummins big time. When Britsh Ford built the 6 cylinder Ford Lehmann diesel they used replacement liners and a heavy block its no throwaway engine like the 5.9 Cummins. Had a horsepower rating up to 275 with 600ftlbs not bad for a full mechanical engine. You couldn't get a automotive transmission to survive behind one.

I guess Nosparkplugs is grossly inadequate in his bedroom so he really has to brag about something your wife/girlfriend must have a huge toy collection :hammerhead:

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Here is what happens when you add a chip to a stock Powerstroke.

Lets see Ford and Chev have 2 more rods sharing the same load as a Cummins so its natural the Rods can be smaller. Not rocket science just physical engineering.

I guess Dodge guys have to show that picture because its the only big rod they can brag about their girlfriend/wife just laughs when they drop their pants. The wife says wheres the batteries :laugh:

I never heard of a 6.0 powerstroke conrod letting go or a 7.3 the same.

You want to see a heavy con rod and piston look at a 363 Ford Lehmann I meantioned it a few times they belittle a Cummins big time. When Britsh Ford built the 6 cylinder Ford Lehmann diesel they used replacement liners and a heavy block its no throwaway engine like the 5.9 Cummins. Had a horsepower rating up to 275 with 600ftlbs not bad for a full mechanical engine. You couldn't get a automotive transmission to survive behind one.

I guess Nosparkplugs is grossly inadequate in his bedroom so he really has to brag about something your wife/girlfriend must have a huge toy collection :hammerhead:

nosparkplugs
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Here is a bent rod

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Bent%20Cummins%20rod/dodgebob/bentrod.jpg

Gravel Rat
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Any con rod will bend if the engine is hydraulic'ed with water or oil or fuel.

Cummins uses larger rods so they can use lower quality steel and less machining. Like I said Cummins designed the 5.9 engine as a throwaway.

If you have a scored cylinder on a Cummins you have to sleeve the block or find another engine block to replace it with.

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Guy's, Guy's, Guy's! We all know the best combo is a cummins and an allison tranny which are all in my trucks.

ZTR_Diesel
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Cummins uses larger rods so they can use lower quality steel and less machining. Like I said Cummins designed the 5.9 engine as a throwaway.

If you have a scored cylinder on a Cummins you have to sleeve the block or find another engine block to replace it with.

You have personally-held, documented information that "Cummins designed the 5.9 engine as a throwaway?" Please provide your source for this statement and please, be specific. What does the term throwaway mean in exact referance to this engine?

In addition to that, are there cylinder sleeve liners in either the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 PSD, or the D-max 6.6L V8? If so please show me, and give the material specifications for the liners themselves.

Finally - from a metallurgical standpoint, exactly what steel did Cummins elect to use in thier connnecting rods, year by year in each interation of the 5.9 or 6.7L B-series engine. Also what heat treating process as well as what case-depth was specified for these parts?

Since you're trying to sound like an engineer, try providing some details that exibit that fact that you are one. Otherwise, discontinue the use of blanket statments that exibit your opinion or hearsay.

4.3mudder
06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
You have personally-held, documented information that "Cummins designed the 5.9 engine as a throwaway?" Please provide your source for this statement and please, be specific. What does the term throwaway mean in exact referance to this engine?

In addition to that, are there cylinder sleeve liners in either the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 PSD, or the D-max 6.6L V8? If so please show me, and give the material specifications for the liners themselves.

Finally - from a metallurgical standpoint, exactly what steel did Cummins elect to use in thier connnecting rods, year by year in each interation of the 5.9 or 6.7L B-series engine. Also what heat treating process as well as what case-depth was specified for these parts?

Since you're trying to sound like an engineer, try providing some details that exibit that fact that you are one. Otherwise, discontinue the use of blanket statments that exibit your opinion or hearsay.

LOL, good job.

WH401
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Lol, yeah what he said. :laugh:

nickspropertymang
06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
:dizzy: Wow...... Get a life, my god, there all good engines

Gravel Rat
06-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Why argue with guys that play with toy engines. The Duramax, Powerstroke and Cummins are toys all designed for one use and throw it away.

The main reason why the 5.9 doesn't have replaceable liners the engines don't need to be rebuilt when used in a stationary or equipment engine. In a excavator the engine will easily go 10-15,000 hours. There is no great load on the engine it runs at a constant speed. The up and down rpms like in a automotive use puts the wear on the engine.

A excavator with 15,000 hours is well beat up usually ready for the scrap pile.

Any medium duty truck engine will have liners because in a medium duty the truck can easily go 500,000 miles plus. A medium duty truck with a 5.9 may go 350,000 miles they don't last much longer in a medium duty.

The term throwaway engine came from the old 3208 they used to be liner-less then Cat put liners in them but then the engine was discontinued.

The throwaway engines back then were the 3208, 8.2 Fuel pincher Detroit and the 555 V8 Cummins.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I respect both Nosparkplugs and GR posts, they both have alot more knowledge than I, well most of the time...lol, but all these propaganda posts are getting old!!

I think nosparkplugs is getting bored and wants to pick fights around here lol!

of course the cummins has a larger piston/con rod assembly, it has the largest displacement but with 2 less cylinders than either the duramax and powerstroke.

Cummins:
5.9L/6cyl= .98 liters per cylinder
6.7L/6cyl= 1.12 liters per cylinder

Duramax:
6.6L/8cyl= .825 liters per cylinder

Powerstroke:
6.0L/8cyl= .75 liters per cylinder
6.4L/8cyl= .8 liters per cylinder

Junior M
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
My uncle used to be diesel shop foreman and he told me that the most common truck that was in there were the dodges.
the brand of truck has nothing to do with this, the motor is what is being discussed.

So these Dodges that were in the shop, what were they in for? Was it a failure on the Cummins part? Or just Dodges somewhat cheap quality of tranny's and front ends?

KCfireman
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
the brand of truck has nothing to do with this, the motor is what is being discussed.

So these Dodges that were in the shop, what were they in for? Was it a failure on the Cummins part? Or just Dodges somewhat cheap quality of tranny's and front ends?Crapped out trannies. Said Chevy was the best built truck he saw.

Dirt Digger2
06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
if these engines are throwaways tell me why Case puts the 5.9 Cummins in their machines then?

South Florida Lawns
06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Besides the 5.9 you know what other engine is a work horse, the vortec 4.3 lol well maybe not but its a good engine. Now back to topic my friends 04 5.9 just hit the 300k mile mark and its never been in the shop. The only problem he's had with his dodge was low freon haha. You also can't match fuel millage the 5.9 cummins simply wins all the time. I wish I could get my new 6.4 to be as efficient but that will never happen, even with a chip.

Gravel Rat
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
if these engines are throwaways tell me why Case puts the 5.9 Cummins in their machines then?

As I said the engines will go 15,000 hours without doing a major rebuild so the 5.9 Cummins does just fine.

You marinize a 5.9 and have it high horsepower you will be lucky to get 5000 hours out of it. Now if you have the horsepower at 180 the engine will last 15,000 hours.

Mowingman
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Best of all worlds: A Ford with the Cummins engine and an Allison auto trans.!!!

Gravel Rat
06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Why would you want a Allison transmission they are not that good.

Rather have a manual transmission any day its cheap to fix.

Mowingman
06-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I have experience with Allisons in everything from pickups, all the way up to Euclid offroad dump trucks. I think they are pretty darn dependable.

JDiepstra
06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Why would you want a Allison transmission they are not that good.

First post you have made that had made any sense out of 5,674 tries. Way to go.

Actually, it just seems you don't like anything.

Petr51488
06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Best of all worlds: A Ford with the Cummins engine and an Allison auto trans.!!!

No thanks. I like the styling of my GMC, the power of the duramax, and the reliability of my allison. I'll take another one of these any day!

Gravel Rat
06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Lets put it this way only sissys buy automatics. If your too lazy or your not capable to drive a standard better stick to driving a car.

When you drive commercial truck for part of your living you learn to hate automatics. Lots of guys I know will not drive a truck with a automatic no control over the engine what so ever.

Again the flat landers have no clue on decending a 10% I would rather be decending a grade with a manual transmission. If I have a full load I will go down a hill in 2nd gear you can go too fast and over heat the brakes in seconds. Atleast with a manual if you do run into trouble you can shut the engine off with the tranmission in gear and it will slow you down. Do that with a automatic it just freewheels.

To change a clutch your looking at 500 dollars a rebuilt automatic your looking at 5000 dollars.

ZTR_Diesel
06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I am a manual transmission fan as well. I understand the use & need for autos, however with both my car, my truck, and my motorcycle, I prefer to shift it myself, and use both feet in the process. I understand the need in several situations (such as all in-city, plowing snow, etc) for an auto but I prefer a 5 or 6 speed in most cases. Getting hard to find manuals in new trucks, and GM has elimnated that option on their trucks altogether at this point.

coolluv
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Lets put it this way only sissys buy automatics. If your too lazy or your not capable to drive a standard better stick to driving a car.

When you drive commercial truck for part of your living you learn to hate automatics. Lots of guys I know will not drive a truck with a automatic no control over the engine what so ever.

Again the flat landers have no clue on decending a 10% I would rather be decending a grade with a manual transmission. If I have a full load I will go down a hill in 2nd gear you can go too fast and over heat the brakes in seconds. Atleast with a manual if you do run into trouble you can shut the engine off with the tranmission in gear and it will slow you down. Do that with a automatic it just freewheels.

To change a clutch your looking at 500 dollars a rebuilt automatic your looking at 5000 dollars.

Your so full of $hit your eyes are brown. Come on down here to Atlanta and see how long you like your stick shift. Besides the Duramax has a manual mode if you choose to use it for hills or towing. I'll take the auto any day. I learned on a stick and my first two trucks were sticks. Sticks are ok for off road and hills, but for everyday driving give me the auto.

Dave...

Gravel Rat
06-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Maybe if you were doing lots of city driving ya a automatic would be okay but when you have rural roads like where I live you don't shift much. On the the 10% grades you take a run at the hill so you don't have to drop to 4th gear (6spd). With a load on you hold it in 2nd gear and climb the hill.

wanabe
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
The 5.9 cummins is a throw away block. They dont even have cam bearings in them! I was never that impressed with the 5.9(any truck version). I have drove the 6.0 and 7.3 PSD and the 08 D max and they had better performance than the cummins. Cummins=Loud and slow take off.

Gravel Rat
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
The 5.9 Cummins is good for what its designed for one use only just like the rest of the light duty engines. As I said with the industrial purposes the engine does just fine. It isn't as fuel efficient as Isuzu 6 cylinders or other overseas engines. It is about par with a Komatsu 6 cylinder.

The Isuzu 6 cylinders are far more fuel efficient had one in a old Hitachi excavator I used to run had 14,000 hours and never had the valve covers off.

The number one and the only reason why you see 5.9 engines in medium duty trucks is they are cheaper to buy when you buy a new medium duty. Your probably saving atleast 1000-1500 dollars over the 8.3C which is a better engine.

A 8.3C is a fully rebuildable engine the only problem they have is cam bearings.

JDiepstra
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
EPA rates the 5.9 Cummins a medium duty engine. The Powerstroke and Duramax are rated light duty.

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble JDiepstra but the Cummins 5.9 is a light duty engine. Maybe in your mind its a big engine to satisfy your big rig wanna be attitude.

The 5.9 has its limits and 1 ton trucks is it the absolute max gvw truck is 20,000lbs. It maybe used in medium duty trucks but like I said its done because its cheap. A 5.9 Cummins is no better than a gas pot in a medium duty.

Cummins can say anything and you Dodge boys suck it up like a sponge more they brainwash you more money they get out of you.

The Cummins is NOT a medium duty engine you guys may beleive it is. In real world its been proven to be not the best engine.

For one its grossly underpowered in a medium duty truck, two its displacement makes it poor in compression braking. Because the engine is small its being over worked and that leads to not having a long lasting engine.

You guys with Dodges have a false sense of reality just because it says Cummins doesn't mean its good. Cummins was very lucky to have Chrysler approach them to use the poor selling 5.9 engines in light trucks back in 88. Cummins only had the Case backhoe market and farm tractors for the 5.9 the use in trucks wasn't a big seller.

Here in Western Canada medium duty trucks have 32-35,000lb gvws you need C series power. The old gasser trucks had 30,000lb gvws.

No I don't beleive in the 5.9 they are way over rated for what they are. Some of you guys put way too much faith into one engine and what you beleive is unbeleivable.

Just because you can get big horsepower out of the 5.9 its not a sustainable horsepower it may get 1000hp for couple minutes. Because Dodge rates the engines at 300 plus horsepower doesn't mean squat. The engine would NEVER survive in a medium duty at those ratings.

You guys are playing with light duty trucks. What you flat landers would do you can't do here not on the hills. Maybe your precious Dodge Cummins can play wanna be truck tractor not a chance here. Again proven these Dodge trucks don't pull the hills any faster than my 6.0.

The old 12 valve trucks just can't get out of their way its fun playing with them. With any kind of load they pull the 10% grades at 30mph they have lots of black smoke belching out.

Oh its fun how flatlanders are clueless on working a engine hard is. When your pulling hills at 30mph you know your heavy.

I think guys like Nosparkplugs would have to wear diapers he would soil his self dealing with some of the highway grades we have here :laugh:

Maybe you guys are used to doing 60 mph plus with a trailer here you are lucky to get 50mph usually 37-40 mph.

Its always going to be fun arguing with wanna be truck drivers aka Dodge boys :laugh:

KCfireman
06-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Man, I've got the best combos! Cummins and a allison tranny in our trucks.:weightlifter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VDS2tWdyCs

wanabe
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I just love all the cummins guys with the big hp! I just laugh every time! They think they have a "big truck" then I ask them if they have 1600-1800 ft lb of torque and I just get a dumb look every time. I dont care how much hp you have. If it ain't got the torque than what good is it? We have hills in the area that is like what GR is talking about. Put it to the floor going down and be at 25 mph at the top of the next hill!

4 seasons lawn&land
06-20-2009, 08:56 PM
you guys are having trouble finding work huh???

lawn king
06-20-2009, 09:13 PM
The duramax lmm (4th generation) is an awesome engine. I could have gone ford or dodge, but after 25 seasons in the lawn business, all gm (1 isuzu) i went chevy and im glad i did. The chevy 3500 with the allison 6 speed is fast,quiet,powerful,reliable,comfortable and good on fuel.

JDiepstra
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble JDiepstra but the Cummins 5.9 is a light duty engine. Maybe in your mind its a big engine to satisfy your big rig wanna be attitude.

The 5.9 has its limits and 1 ton trucks is it the absolute max gvw truck is 20,000lbs. It maybe used in medium duty trucks but like I said its done because its cheap. A 5.9 Cummins is no better than a gas pot in a medium duty.

Cummins can say anything and you Dodge boys suck it up like a sponge more they brainwash you more money they get out of you.

The Cummins is NOT a medium duty engine you guys may beleive it is. In real world its been proven to be not the best engine.

For one its grossly underpowered in a medium duty truck, two its displacement makes it poor in compression braking. Because the engine is small its being over worked and that leads to not having a long lasting engine.

You guys with Dodges have a false sense of reality just because it says Cummins doesn't mean its good. Cummins was very lucky to have Chrysler approach them to use the poor selling 5.9 engines in light trucks back in 88. Cummins only had the Case backhoe market and farm tractors for the 5.9 the use in trucks wasn't a big seller.

Here in Western Canada medium duty trucks have 32-35,000lb gvws you need C series power. The old gasser trucks had 30,000lb gvws.

No I don't beleive in the 5.9 they are way over rated for what they are. Some of you guys put way too much faith into one engine and what you beleive is unbeleivable.

Just because you can get big horsepower out of the 5.9 its not a sustainable horsepower it may get 1000hp for couple minutes. Because Dodge rates the engines at 300 plus horsepower doesn't mean squat. The engine would NEVER survive in a medium duty at those ratings.

You guys are playing with light duty trucks. What you flat landers would do you can't do here not on the hills. Maybe your precious Dodge Cummins can play wanna be truck tractor not a chance here. Again proven these Dodge trucks don't pull the hills any faster than my 6.0.

The old 12 valve trucks just can't get out of their way its fun playing with them. With any kind of load they pull the 10% grades at 30mph they have lots of black smoke belching out.

Oh its fun how flatlanders are clueless on working a engine hard is. When your pulling hills at 30mph you know your heavy.

I think guys like Nosparkplugs would have to wear diapers he would soil his self dealing with some of the highway grades we have here :laugh:

Maybe you guys are used to doing 60 mph plus with a trailer here you are lucky to get 50mph usually 37-40 mph.

Its always going to be fun arguing with wanna be truck drivers aka Dodge boys :laugh:

Put your money where your mouth is. I will be you $10,000 that the Cummins 5.9 has a primary intended service application as a medium heavy duty engine. It also conforms to US EPA regulations applicable to heavy duty engines. Put up or SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, your posts are such garbage I did not read past your first paragraph.

JDiepstra
06-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I just love all the cummins guys with the big hp! I just laugh every time! They think they have a "big truck" then I ask them if they have 1600-1800 ft lb of torque and I just get a dumb look every time. I dont care how much hp you have. If it ain't got the torque than what good is it? We have hills in the area that is like what GR is talking about. Put it to the floor going down and be at 25 mph at the top of the next hill!

Your screenname says it all............

KCfireman
06-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Big argument coming! Little boys and their little toys. I drive the big toys and their pumpin sons of b!tches too.

wanabe
06-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Your screenname says it all............

What? You don't have the torque to get the job done? Thats what I thought!

wanabe
06-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I run 4400 HP GE motors, so I have a clue what real power is, esp when we lash up 5 or 6 at a time and put them all on line!

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Great to hear that, why come on Lawnsite? you must be bored or your career does not offer a forum. Your trying to compare engines that are incomparable my freind.

You should know the Cummins 5.9L ISb can generate & handle over 800ft/lbs of torque without internal modifications Duramax & Powerstroke engines need far more tweeking to get their.

If your going to debate keep it real. Nice to know your running some big diesels no good on Lawnsite. You & Gravel Rat need to hook-up you sound like brothers

I run 4400 HP GE motors, so I have a clue what real power is, esp when we lash up 5 or 6 at a time and put them all on line!

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Look at that JDipsh!t is mouthing off again.

I really don't care if he thinks the Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty engine let him think that. Must make him feel like a big man. Must prefer his Cummins over a woman. Must sniff the exhaust too much its killing the brain cells :laugh:

Oh well there is a difference bettween guys like me that are used to working with real engines while little boys play with their toys. Yes my 6.0 is a toy too. Get in a Hayes HDX logging truck that has V-12 Detroit power with a 6 spd Allison transmission. The truck empty weighs 50 ton empty. I haven't gotten a chance to drive one with a full load but they gross 100 tons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--nyXHQy4s&feature=PlayList&p=615EE8B4A5FB8F03&index=3

I will stick with my 6.0 yes it does cost me a little money in repairs but what do you expect with a emmissions engine. The engine does just fine with the truck grossing 15,000lbs pulling the 10% grades. Does pretty good when you drive a 9800lb truck daily. I have 15 years in the trucking industry from hauling gravel to hauling lumber.

When you live in a area with 10% grades and driving on the 365 days a year nothing bothers you. Maybe a flatlander would crap their drawers when your decending a twisty hill and the trailer is pushing your truck straight. I see quite a few every summer with truck and trailer brakes so hot they are glowing red on the verge of melting. Its fun to see the ones that have their brakes catch fire boy do they get nervous.

I really laugh when the rear wheel seals blow on the rear axle and they have 80-90w gear oil all over their brakes.

Summer is coming and I get to push the Dodge boys off the road. Almost 99% of them think they are king of the road till they meet us guys with 6.0s and run them off the road. Oh the priceless frown on their face when they have to pull over because their Dodge truck can't handle the roads. They think they have a 18 wheeler we can pull a big trailer. They swearving all over the road and barely making the speed limit.

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Great to hear that, why come on Lawnsite? you must be bored or your career does not offer a forum. Your trying to compare engines that are incomparable my freind.

You should know the Cummins 5.9L ISb can generate & handle over 800ft/lbs of torque without internal modifications Duramax & Powerstroke engines need far more tweeking to get their.

If your going to debate keep it real. Nice to know your running some big diesels no good on Lawnsite. You & Gravel Rat need to hook-up you sound like brothers

Hey another one that better get some experience driving truck maybe your baby Cummins gives you a woody. Only a real engine gives me one when you feel the power of a 14-15-16 litre engine nothing compares to it.

No offence but I guess if you need to make your living with lawn mowers and lawn mowing big equipment isn't your thing.

Its like you guys never left the sand box playing with the toys oh well what ever gets your jollys off.

JDiepstra
06-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Look at that JDipsh!t is mouthing off again.

I really don't care if he thinks the Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty engine let him think that. Must make him feel like a big man. Must prefer his Cummins over a woman. Must sniff the exhaust too much its killing the brain cells :laugh:

Oh well there is a difference bettween guys like me that are used to working with real engines while little boys play with their toys. Yes my 6.0 is a toy too. Get in a Hayes HDX logging truck that has V-12 Detroit power with a 6 spd Allison transmission. The truck empty weighs 50 ton empty. I haven't gotten a chance to drive one with a full load but they gross 100 tons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--nyXHQy4s&feature=PlayList&p=615EE8B4A5FB8F03&index=3

I will stick with my 6.0 yes it does cost me a little money in repairs but what do you expect with a emmissions engine. The engine does just fine with the truck grossing 15,000lbs pulling the 10% grades. Does pretty good when you drive a 9800lb truck daily. I have 15 years in the trucking industry from hauling gravel to hauling lumber.

When you live in a area with 10% grades and driving on the 365 days a year nothing bothers you. Maybe a flatlander would crap their drawers when your decending a twisty hill and the trailer is pushing your truck straight. I see quite a few every summer with truck and trailer brakes so hot they are glowing red on the verge of melting. Its fun to see the ones that have their brakes catch fire boy do they get nervous.

I really laugh when the rear wheel seals blow on the rear axle and they have 80-90w gear oil all over their brakes.

Summer is coming and I get to push the Dodge boys off the road. Almost 99% of them think they are king of the road till they meet us guys with 6.0s and run them off the road. Oh the priceless frown on their face when they have to pull over because their Dodge truck can't handle the roads. They think they have a 18 wheeler we can pull a big trailer. They swearving all over the road and barely making the speed limit.

I see you are not man enough to put up, so SHUT UP! :hammerhead:

Gravel Rat
06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh did I pizz you off JDiepstra :laugh:

You beleive what you want to beleive if you think your a wanna be big rig with your Dodge Cummins so beit. I really don't care its your opinion.

Dodge boys always get riled up so easy a little bit of poking and they fly off the handle. Do you need to take some blood pressure pills :laugh:

As I said before most guys that own Dodges are a little strange don't know what it is. I'am not kidding something goes to their head.

I better stop bugging the Dodge boys JDiepstra might have a heart attack at his computer defending his Dodge.

Love how brainwashed you guys are about the Cummins engines. Like I said quit sniffing the exhaust fumes its killing your brain cells.

Just wondering how old are you JDiepstra if your over 30 you should be embarassed about yourself arguing on a message board. I'am 33 by the way and I don't go off the handle like you have been.

JDiepstra
06-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh did I pizz you off JDiepstra :laugh:

You beleive what you want to beleive if you think your a wanna be big rig with your Dodge Cummins so beit. I really don't care its your opinion.

Dodge boys always get riled up so easy a little bit of poking and they fly off the handle. Do you need to take some blood pressure pills :laugh:

As I said before most guys that own Dodges are a little strange don't know what it is. I'am not kidding something goes to their head.

I better stop bugging the Dodge boys JDiepstra might have a heart attack at his computer defending his Dodge.

Love how brainwashed you guys are about the Cummins engines. Like I said quit sniffing the exhaust fumes its killing your brain cells.

Just wondering how old are you JDiepstra if your over 30 you should be embarassed about yourself arguing on a message board. I'am 33 by the way and I don't go off the handle like you have been.

Hahahahhahahaha you think you are able to upset me? I laugh at your patheticness.

As I have said, you make a lot of false statements, and when I call you out and ask you to put your money where your mouth is, all you can do is resort to name calling.

As far as arguing on a message board, that is all you do on this forum. All you do is talk bad about other peoples stuff, no doubt because you are insecure. I am not arguing at all. I am posting facts and calling you out, to which all you are able to do is name call. You are pathetic.

WH401
06-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Gravel Rat, you can preach about your 10% grades and how only "canadians" with 6.0's know how to handle them, your incredibly hot burned up brakes, your harsh roads that rival the devils driveway, your "belief" that the 5.9 Cummins is a worthless piece, and your undying love for the 6.0 until you yourself get a woody, (and what's with the all the p*nis references lately?, you mention "getting a woody" in your posts more than Clay Aiken probably does at a playgirl party.) Really the fact is, it doesn't matter what you may think of the 5.9 Cummins. That engine has already proved it's worth and has nothing to prove to you or anyone else. The fact is, the 5.9 Cummins will go down as one of, if not the, best diesel engine ever placed in a light duty pickup. It doesn't matter if it was only first used as a backhoe engine, or that it doesn't have replaceable liners, it's already proved itself. You can tell everyone in the world for the next 30 years how you think the 5.9 is a "throwaway" engine, or that it's "underpowered in a medium duty application", but it's not going to matter, the 5.9 has already proven itself.

I hate to say that I have pity for you, but the only reason you complain about the 5.9 is that it burns you down to the deepest parts of your body that the 5.9 is a superior engine to the 6.0. Hell anything is a superior engine to the 6.0. I know it eats you up for the fact that Ford/International would fall so far behind the 8 ball with an engine that wouldn't even serve well as a boat anchor because it would probably rust away faster than an actual one. You can complain for all time that the 5.9 can't hold itself going down a hill and that you'll burn up the brakes. Fact is that if you truly knew anything about mechanics than you would know that it's more about user input than actual engine performance when it comes to that. Hell you could slow a slow a load down with a gasser and a manual trans, it just all depends on user know how.

You b*tch like a little girl more about how you dislike the 5.9 than you like your 6.0. I wonder why that is, probably because your too ashamed to call your self an owner of an engine so problematic and down right horrible that anyone with any kind of diesel knowledge, and in there right mind, wouldn't even have a serious conversation about one. Quit your wining and go back and play in your sand box with your Tonka trucks. But wait, maybe you don't really do that if you spend all your time on a lawncare forum nit picking like a nancy boy about an engine that you, and everyone else, knows is better.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Dang!!!! that was a spanking

Gravel Rat, you can preach about your 10% grades and how only "canadians" with 6.0's know how to handle them, your incredibly hot burned up brakes, your harsh roads that rival the devils driveway, your "belief" that the 5.9 Cummins is a worthless piece, and your undying love for the 6.0 until you yourself get a woody, (and what's with the all the p*nis references lately?, you mention "getting a woody" in your posts more than Clay Aiken probably does at a playgirl party.) Really the fact is, it doesn't matter what you may think of the 5.9 Cummins. That engine has already proved it's worth and has nothing to prove to you or anyone else. The fact is, the 5.9 Cummins will go down as one of, if not the, best diesel engine ever placed in a light duty pickup. It doesn't matter if it was only first used as a backhoe engine, or that it doesn't have replaceable liners, it's already proved itself. You can tell everyone in the world for the next 30 years how you think the 5.9 is a "throwaway" engine, or that it's "underpowered in a medium duty application", but it's not going to matter, the 5.9 has already proven itself.

I hate to say that I have pity for you, but the only reason you complain about the 5.9 is that it burns you down to the deepest parts of your body that the 5.9 is a superior engine to the 6.0. Hell anything is a superior engine to the 6.0. I know it eats you up for the fact that Ford/International would fall so far behind the 8 ball with an engine that wouldn't even serve well as a boat anchor because it would probably rust away faster than an actual one. You can complain for all time that the 5.9 can't hold itself going down a hill and that you'll burn up the brakes. Fact is that if you truly knew anything about mechanics than you would know that it's more about user input than actual engine performance when it comes to that. Hell you could slow a slow a load down with a gasser and a manual trans, it just all depends on user know how.

You b*tch like a little girl more about how you dislike the 5.9 than you like your 6.0. I wonder why that is, probably because your too ashamed to call your self an owner of an engine so problematic and down right horrible that anyone with any kind of diesel knowledge, and in there right mind, wouldn't even have a serious conversation about one. Quit your wining and go back and play in your sand box with your Tonka trucks. But wait, maybe you don't really do that if you spend all your time on a lawncare forum nit picking like a nancy boy about an engine that you, and everyone else, knows is better.

Gravel Rat
06-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Boy its fun getting the lawn mower pushers riled up oh well atleast I don't have to mow lawns for a living that is what you do for a part time job while in highschool.

I have no beef against anybody I just find it funny how some of you beleive in one engine so much you would trade your familly for a Cummins engine.

As for me wanting a Cummins in my Ford not a chance I have no desire to owning a over rated over glorified boat anchor 5.9. Like I said if I want a Cummins I will buy a truck with a 400 Big Cam that is a Cummins.

Maybe you guys can't drive a real truck because you lack the skills to get a CDL.

Driving a truck with a 400 Big cam with a 13spd is alot nicer than driving some rattle trap Dodge with a wanna be engine.

Here is a 400 Cummins this one smokes less than the old 9000 Ford I used to drive.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqQsh9R-roE&feature=channel_page

Don't you wish your Dodge sounded like this wanna be truck drivers :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpAt8kGvcQ&feature=related

So if you want a Cummins engine that lives up to its name drive a real one.

KCfireman
06-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Boy its fun getting the lawn mower pushers riled up oh well atleast I don't have to mow lawns for a living that is what you do for a part time job while in highschool.

I have no beef against anybody I just find it funny how some of you beleive in one engine so much you would trade your familly for a Cummins engine.

As for me wanting a Cummins in my Ford not a chance I have no desire to owning a over rated over glorified boat anchor 5.9. Like I said if I want a Cummins I will buy a truck with a 400 Big Cam that is a Cummins.

Maybe you guys can't drive a real truck because you lack the skills to get a CDL.

Driving a truck with a 400 Big cam with a 13spd is alot nicer than driving some rattle trap Dodge with a wanna be engine.

Here is a 400 Cummins this one smokes less than the old 9000 Ford I used to drive.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqQsh9R-roE&feature=channel_page

Don't you wish your Dodge sounded like this wanna be truck drivers :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpAt8kGvcQ&feature=related

So if you want a Cummins engine that lives up to its name drive a real one.Hmmmm, Lawn mower pushers? and you push dirt? I don't really see a difference.:confused:

Gravel Rat
06-21-2009, 02:51 AM
I don't even push dirt anymore there is no work in that :cry:

I used to be in the lawn mowing business and landscaping but it was profitless and I got tired of customers treating you like a POS. Never happy always b*tching about the prices. Lucky to get paid. I said screw this got out of mowing. I really didn't do mowing like lawns. I did brushing where I would go in to a over grown area and remove the heavy brush and trees.

People think you should mow grass for free.

A landscaper in the area charges 50 dollars per hour to mow lawns he is getting the people to pay up. If he has two guys with mowers I think its 100 dollars per hour.

KCfireman
06-21-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't even push dirt anymore there is no work in that :cry:

I used to be in the lawn mowing business and landscaping but it was profitless and I got tired of customers treating you like a POS. Never happy always b*tching about the prices. Lucky to get paid. I said screw this got out of mowing. I really didn't do mowing like lawns. I did brushing where I would go in to a over grown area and remove the heavy brush and trees.

People think you should mow grass for free.

A landscaper in the area charges 50 dollars per hour to mow lawns he is getting the people to pay up. If he has two guys with mowers I think its 100 dollars per hour.I hear ya on the getting treated like Sh!t part.

Gravel Rat
06-21-2009, 04:06 AM
You try to do a good job and the homeowner says I don't like it do it again for free :angry:

Or they complain that there was some grass clippings on the side walk. I got to the point stuff it up your ***.

I got mad enough I told one customer if you don't like it buy your own lawn mower and do it yourself.

JDiepstra
06-21-2009, 09:43 AM
You try to do a good job and the homeowner says I don't like it do it again for free :angry:

Or they complain that there was some grass clippings on the side walk. I got to the point stuff it up your ***.

I got mad enough I told one customer if you don't like it buy your own lawn mower and do it yourself.

I have not had any of these problems with my customers. It seems you can not even handle the simple task of mowing a lawn properly. You are definately an employee, not a business owner.

mnglocker
06-21-2009, 12:21 PM

I've never had that problem, I pull up in my Cummins powered Dodge Rammit and the noise scares them into paying. :laugh:

Seriously, on the engine thing though. If I could put an 8.3c into a light duty truck without the tires blowing out and the axle snapping from the weight that would be cool, but the 5.9 does just fine in 1ton and under trucks, and most lawn/landscape guys will never need more than a 1ton for moving their equipment.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
GR will never agree, We all have our personal choice's I do agree Ford has Dodge Beat on truck sales, but those going to Dodge do it for ONE REASON the Cummins Diesel. Like WH401 said in a blunt manner the 5.9L Cummins ISB is legendary that is set in stone, and burns to the core of many Cummins haters.

If Cummins left Dodge for lets say Toyota or Nissan:dizzy:, It would surely put Ford on notice;)

I've never had that problem, I pull up in my Cummins powered Dodge Rammit and the noise scares them into paying. :laugh:

Seriously, on the engine thing though. If I could put an 8.3c into a light duty truck without the tires blowing out and the axle snapping from the weight that would be cool, but the 5.9 does just fine in 1ton and under trucks, and most lawn/landscape guys will never need more than a 1ton for moving their equipment.

KCfireman
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

I got mad enough I told one customer if you don't like it buy your own lawn mower and do it yourself.It's just a "different" type of people these days. This winter we got toned out for a House Fire, got there, the house was filled with smoke but we could not find any fire, so we went down into the basement, turns out their heater motor blew up and caused all the smoke to go through the duct work, well we made sure there wasn't gonna be any flare ups, took care of that, as soon as we walked up from the basement the homeowners started yelling at us for no apparent reason.:confused: They literally ended up kicking us out of the house. I was almost tempted to yell "Next time your house is on fire feel free not to call us!". People these days.:hammerhead::angry::realmad:

Gravel Rat
06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I do my business just fine we have old and cheap people here that don't like paying bills.

Excavation contractors have a h*ll of a time getting paid.

Back when I was doing lawn mowing it was 20 dollars per hour for you and tools.

To get to most lawns your packing your tools down stairs or through a trail to the front yard.

All the jobs I did were cash money its the way the home owners wanted them because they don't want to pay taxes and neigther do I.

I also worked for people that have 2.5 million dollar summer homes and money is no object just do the job. Give them the bill your paid on the spot. Did construction site clean up on one of the places the homeowner said I didn't charge enough so I got a extra hundred dollars. I was charging 50 dollars per hour for trucking and 20 dollars per hour labour.

When I get back into hauling topsoil with the F-450 it will be 70 dollars per hour with a 1 hour minimum. Still not able to get the labour rate up past 20 dollars per hour.

Lawn mowing isn't a big money maker in this area. If you don't do other landscaping and hardscaping you would go broke just trying to mow lawns.

When I was in it I was able to do heavy brush clearing and tree falling. The brushing jobs involve working on steep slopes where you need a dead man rope tied off so you can pull yourself up the hill.

There is no ride on lawn mower work here its all grunt work especially when you have to pack 30lbs of gear on your back to get to the job. You have a 15lb chainsaw 2.5 gallon gas can gallon jug of chain oil back pack with fallers wedges and files etc with your water. You also have a rake and a pair of bypass loppers.

So if JDiepstra thinks I'am just a employee I offered more services than he even could. I seriously doubt you could do the jobs I have done. House demolition to falling trees to trucking etc.

So you better stick to the lawn mowers its probably all you can do :laugh:

Charles
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Can't be civil? Leads to closed threads