PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cub Hour Meter Slow??

scagmanjosh
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, I just purchased a new 2008 Scag Tiger Cub w/ 26BS and 48" Velocity Plus deck 2 weeks ago. Upgrading from my Craftsman LT1000 w/ Kohler Command 16, I must say Im extremely impressed with this machine. The 48" Velocity is just like the bigger ones, IT THROWS SOME FREAKIN' GRASS, yet leaves a great cut w/no stringers. The fanning pattern of the grass discharge is BEAUTIFUL IMO.

BUT... The hour meter had 6.2 hours on it (from being moved in and out of the dealer yard, demoes, etc.) when I brought it home and I have mowed my full yard (exactly 1.5 hours per mow) TWICE, and the hour meter has only increased to 7.2 hours. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?? Its like the timer is only counting about 20 minutes on the hour. This will cause a discrepancy if I ever want to sell it (in my favor though), but more importantly it will throw my maintenance schedule off. Ive contacted the dealer about it and they say to bring it in. Strange huh?

Also, the mower only does 8.3mph forward according to my GPS (its supposed to do 10), yet it does about 6 in reverse (supposed to do 4.5). The mower BARELY wants to creep backwards on flat concrete at full throttle with steering levers in outside neutral cradle position. It wont do it on soft grass/ground though. Could adjustments to the steering turnbuckle pushrods remedy the forward/reverse speed and neutral creeping. :confused:

Thanks guys!

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
yes.........

Nosmo
06-17-2009, 03:43 PM
By my calculations your meter is only reading 33-1/3% of the actual time you are mowing. 6.2 plus 3.0 real time should be 9.2 .

3 hours operating has only increased the meter 1 hour. Well I'd try to get the dealer to replace that meter. I myself want to know how many true hours are on my oil - when to grease etc.

Nosmo

scagmanjosh
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
By my calculations your meter is only reading 33-1/3% of the actual time you are mowing. 6.2 plus 3.0 real time should be 9.2 .

3 hours operating has only increased the meter 1 hour. Well I'd try to get the dealer to replace that meter. I myself want to know how many true hours are on my oil - when to grease etc.

Nosmo

Exactly. 33-1/3 = exactly 20 minutes per hour. Im going to run one final test, let it idle for 15 minutes and it should add at least .2 hours (.25 if it counted hundredths of an hour) to the meter. If it doesnt, to the dealer it will go. If it does, I'll let it sit another 15 minutes idling to make sure it adds a total of .5 to the meter.

Also, anyone have any experience with the forward speed of the Tiger Cub/Cat? Is 8.3 mph common for this machine even though 10mph is advertised? I clocked it with GPS on a flat stretch of grass, grabbing the highest recorded speed.

ALC-GregH
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
just turning the key on will rack the hours.

scagmanjosh
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Really? The manual says the meter will not count unless the engine is running. I'll check into that. Any thoughts on the ground speed?

metro36
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a digital meter and it only counts hours when the engine runs. I dont know about yours though. It could be that part of the meter is burned out so 9 appears as 7. I would run it and see if it goes to 10 or 8. The creeping problems are just some simple adjustments which your manual should tell you how to do. Personally I would bring it back to the dealer and make him adjust it. After all you bought a new mower which should not need adjustments.

scagmanjosh
06-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Did some research on the problem when I got home today-- found some interesting things:

1.) When the meter counts, the little hourglass on the display blinks, about once a second or so.

2.) The meter DOES NOT COUNT unless the engine is running. Simply turning the key to the run position does not make the meter start counting. AS SOON as you kill the engine, the meter stops blinking.

3.) Started the 'Cub, moved it out of the shop and under a shady tree. Throttled down the engine, ensured the meter was counting, and let it idle for 20 minutes. Sure enough, it went from 7.4 to 7.7 on the hour/Hobbs meter-- precisely what it should!! Puzzled, I jumped on it and started tapping the meter to see if it was a loose connection or so, but as long as the engine was running, the meter kept counting. I rode it around the yard, full speed and throttle, thinking maybe some bumps might jar it and make it stop counting. No luck. Thing kept counting. Killed the engine.

4.) Being the engine was warm, I cranked it back up at lowest throttle, no choke. The meter DID NOT start counting, even though engine was running! Flabbergasted, I throttled up the engine. IT STARTED COUNTING AGAIN! Once it started, throttling down would not stop it, only killing it would. However, I was able to replicate the problem time after time, IF I cranked it at the lowest throttle position. However, as soon as I throttled it about a quarter way up, it always started counting. This didnt make sense, because I cut at full throttle, so this couldnt be the problem.

5.)I tried one last thing..... Throttled the engine to half speed, verified meter was counting, engaged the blades--BINGO! The meter instantly STOPPED COUNTING. Played with the throttle with the blades engaged to no avail, meter would not count. Disengaged the blades, VOILA! Meter starts counting again..... hmmm.... tried again and again, same result. Somehow the meter always stops counting when you engage the Ogura electric clutch.

So, anyways, I'm betting its either A.) A wiring or electrical grounding issue that is somehow related to the electric clutch, or B.) The meter only runs when it sees a certain level of voltage from the alternator, and somehow engaging the clutch drops the system voltage below that level. Im just not sure exactly how these digital Hobbs meters work. I guess I'll have to bring it to the damned dealer for repair.....already :hammerhead:

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
TTT

Anyone ever hear of blade engagement causing the hour meter to stop running on a Scag?

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry for the mis information. My dealer said they come on when the key is turned on. I'll have to bit ch slap him the next time I see him. :D

scagmanjosh
06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Problem resolved, dealer replaced hobbs meter. Got it home, ran it for 30 minutes at 1/4 throttle w/ PTO engaged and it counted up .5 like it should. I am still perplexed by the way it functions though. The hourglass will stop flashing for about 20-30 seconds when the PTO/blades are engaged, then after that time it will start counting again.

Also, it still seems sometimes that if you crank the engine at the lowest throttle, it doesnt start counting right away if at all. Once you throttle up a little it will start though......

The meter on the Scag indeed does not count simply by having the key turned to the on position, like many other mowers do-- the engine MUST be running. My dads Craftsman starts counting when you turn the key to run position, regardless of what the engine is doing. I wish the Scag were the same way, because it seems the method it uses (presumably voltage from the engine alternator) seems flaky even at best...

Do Exmark meters function this way? How about other brands?

ed2hess
06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Problem resolved, dealer replaced hobbs meter. Got it home, ran it for 30 minutes at 1/4 throttle w/ PTO engaged and it counted up .5 like it should. I am still perplexed by the way it functions though. The hourglass will stop flashing for about 20-30 seconds when the PTO/blades are engaged, then after that time it will start counting again.

Also, it still seems sometimes that if you crank the engine at the lowest throttle, it doesnt start counting right away if at all. Once you throttle up a little it will start though......

The meter on the Scag indeed does not count simply by having the key turned to the on position, like many other mowers do-- the engine MUST be running. My dads Craftsman starts counting when you turn the key to run position, regardless of what the engine is doing. I wish the Scag were the same way, because it seems the method it uses (presumably voltage from the engine alternator) seems flaky even at best...

Do Exmark meters function this way? How about other brands?
I am curious why you seem to be focusing on this hour meter thing? Is there something I should be concerned about on all my Scag units:confused:

scagmanjosh
06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I am curious why you seem to be focusing on this hour meter thing? Is there something I should be concerned about on all my Scag units:confused:

Because it could potentially cause a big problem with scheduled maintenance, etc. Im not saying all Scags have this problem, mine seems to be resolved with the new meter, BUT it still seems a little quirky during PTO engagement, idle engine speed and stuff. Its possible it may only act like this with my particular engine, the Briggs 26 ELS. Maybe its the way the alternator puts out voltage on the Briggs, I dont know.

All Im saying is that its not a bad idea to make sure the hour meters on your units are counting accurately from time to time....had I not paid attention and noticed something was up, I could have ended up with a meter reading 100 hrs with over 300 on the machine, you know?