PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help identify mulch problem?

MDLawn
06-17-2009, 06:12 PM
For the past two years I have been getting this bright yellow mold type growth in my (and some of my customers) mulch. It starts out bright yellow for a few days then turns yellow/brown and hardens up a little. It sometimes grows up onto the landscape plants but doesn't seem to harm them. It can be from a quarter size area up to a square foot. Any help is appreciated and if pictures are needed I have them on the camera but havent had a chance to load them.

Thanks

JNyz
06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Sounds like just a little mold.

MDLawn
06-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Is there a good way to prevent, kill it off, or anything?

karlgrooms
06-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Sounds like slime mold...or better known as Dog vomit. It is harmless other than looking repulsive. I usually take a rake mix the mulch up a little to aid in drying it up. It is usually brought on by rains or overly wet mulch.

starry night
06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep, commonly called "dog barf" fungus. A shovel will do the trick. But it's completely harmless and I often pick it up barehanded. Strangely, it is caused by lots of rain or irrigation but on the other hand you can avoid it somewhat by wetting the mulch when you put it down. More likely to get the dog barf when it is too dry when applied.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Add lime to prevent it.

MDLawn
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies and that is definitely it!