PDA

View Full Version : Staying cool

tjlco
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Working outdoors in Florida for the last 14 years in a sleeveless shirt, I read somewhere that a longsleeve shirt would keep me cooler. Before I order new shirts, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Sleeveless or longsleeves

fl-landscapes
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Working outdoors in Florida for the last 14 years in a sleeveless shirt, I read somewhere that a longsleeve shirt would keep me cooler. Before I order new shirts, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Sleeveless or longsleeves

I'm in florida with you and I can tell you I wear only long sleeve shirts. When your skin gets burned it loses it's ability to cool itself off. Not to mention skin cancer. I'm sure a lot of guys will say short sleeves but this is just my opinion

KCfireman
06-17-2009, 07:48 PM
On really hot days on the mower i'll go shirtless but for trimming and blowing the shirt goes on.

TomberLawn
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
An old guy who owned a mower store several years ago said he always wears long sleeve, light-weight shirts in the summer. The shirt kept the sun from hitting his skin so hard. I always wear short sleeves, but I do wonder if something like Starter Dri-Star or any other brand of light-weight, breathable material would be more comfortable, or just as comfortable but provide protection from the sun.

Jason Rose
06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I know the starter dri-star shirts are nice, I have about 15 of them in all colors, short sleeve. I will NOT wear a cotton T-shirt in the summer anymore.

I know I need to switch to long sleeves some day... I'm 30 now, and my arms and hands are starting to look 40+. A couple years ago I made the switch to jeans only, no more shorts, and I've survived. Actually on the really hot sunny days I think it's BETTER than having the sun beating on my skin. Plus the chiggers and grass/weeds the trimmer throws on me dosn't bother me with long pants on. The next step is the sleeves. I think I'm probably too late to thwart skin cancer, but anything is better than nothing.

I also wear a wide brimmed hat.

fl-landscapes
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I know the starter dri-star shirts are nice, I have about 15 of them in all colors, short sleeve. I will NOT wear a cotton T-shirt in the summer anymore.

I know I need to switch to long sleeves some day... I'm 30 now, and my arms and hands are starting to look 40+. A couple years ago I made the switch to jeans only, no more shorts, and I've survived. Actually on the really hot sunny days I think it's BETTER than having the sun beating on my skin. Plus the chiggers and grass/weeds the trimmer throws on me dosn't bother me with long pants on. The next step is the sleeves. I think I'm probably too late to thwart skin cancer, but anything is better than nothing.

I also wear a wide brimmed hat.

Instead of jeans try a good old pair of dickies they will wear better and are much lighter

Jason Rose
06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Instead of jeans try a good old pair of dickies they will wear better and are much lighter

Man, I'd love too, but I'm 6'4" and wear a size 36"x36". They just don't sell that size at ANY store! I'm lucky to find a pair or two of jeans in my size in the whole store, usually 34 is the longest length you can find.
I've threatened to special order some tan dickies or work pants, but just never have...

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I started wearing long sleeved under armor (black) 1 1/2 years ago and you will never see me without it again. Keeps you cooler for sure.

James

Think Green
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I am not getting prejudiced or anything, but how come the spanish workers always wear long sleeved shirts in the summer. How come the Iranians--Pakistanians--Iraqians all wear long sheer clothing including turbons on their bodies? Ever wonder why they wear beards in their intensive hot climates.... The water collects in their beards and in their clothing. As the winds blow, the water cools you and almost kind of chills. I wore a beard some many years ago and it really does work. Now, I wear a goatee and the water collects at my chin and when the winds do blow, it keeps my face somewhat cooler. As for long sleeve shirts, I don't wear them now but lighter colors are worn everyday. As of today, here in Jonesboro, the temp was 94 with the heat index of 106. Way too damn hot for this time of the year. For the rest of the week, it will be in the 94-98 degree mark with humidity. I wear a hat--sweat foam headband--wristbands--light colored shirt cotton--loose pants-- Military issue Welco boots (real comfortable by the way). My father has had 12 surgeries to remove skin cancers contributed to Vietnam and 35 years of lawn services. Wear wide brim hats...!!! Apply sun screen if you can stand it in your eyes............Sorry Dr.......... Just am not going to get the stuff in my eyes. This is a dirty--hot--nasty job. There are good and bad things with any type of work you do. Take whatever precautions you can and be happy!
Last but not least..........I am a slim caucasion with a farmer's tan.......I hate going to the lake and blending in with the rest of the people. LOL!!!!!!

STIHL GUY
06-17-2009, 10:38 PM
i always wear jeans and a Tshirt. i should switch over to long sleeve but then i would have to buy some with my logo on them lol

MiguelTX
08-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Think about it a different way: would you put on a wet long sleeved shirt and stand in a freezer set at 25 degrees for 1 hour?

Those 2 guys on Discovery channel, Les Stroud and Bear Grylls, give good advice on being wet and hypothermia. Every time they get wet the 1st thing they do is take all their clothes off and dry them. It's a fact that being wet cools you down even if it's 40 or 99 degrees outside.

MikeKle
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Once I started wearing under armour a couple years ago, I wont even buy a cotton t-shirt anymore, but when it is in the 90s with high humidity, the under armour even gets wet with sweat. Ive never heard of dri-star from starter, does it work better than under armour? Is it cheaper than $30. a shirt? the new under armours now have UPF 30 to protect from UV rays.. good idea.

TomberLawn
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I bought 4 long sleeve Dri-Star shirts at Wal-Mart on clearance for $3/each. Regular price is $9, I believe. The stay dry just about all day. When they wick away sweat and it evaporates, it feels really good and cool. A slight breeze feels almost like air conditioning.

Kutz Lawns
08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Always wear white shirts to reflect the sun!

TomberLawn
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Always wear white shirts to reflect the sun!

My white t-shirts get looking pretty bad after working all day. The Dri-Star shirts I have are gray and look a lot better after working.

Clonts Landscaping
08-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I wear long sleeve shirts in the summer when I put out pine needles and its alot hotter then short sleeves in my opion.

Race495
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
i always wear jeans and a Tshirt. i should switch over to long sleeve but then i would have to buy some with my logo on them lol

There is another way, get the under armor or similar brand long sleeve and wear it under your t-shirt. It will protect your arms and wick away the sweat. I wear them down here in Fl and am a lot more comfortable than with just a t-shirt plus you stay cleaner.

Also on the pants have any of you tried the light to medium weight columbia hiking style pants? They breathe great but are heavy enough for weedeating. Beats dickies or jeans any day during the heat and way better when the rain comes as they dry quick.

Kutz Lawns
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
My white t-shirts get looking pretty bad after working all day. The Dri-Star shirts I have are gray and look a lot better after working.

I know what you mean but after working all day I don't care what I look like!

Go touch a white car sitting in the sun, then go touch a gray car!

I painted my gray roof on my van white, night & day difference!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1118506/KZSJQ-065.JPG

unkownfl
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
van looks photo shopped lol. I wear the long sleeve Columbia anglers shirts really thin dry super fast but are like 30-40 bucks a piece. I also put a hand towel around my neck and use it to keep the sun off of my neck and to wipe my face.

SNAPPER MAN
08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Long sleeves is the way to go when working outside. It protects you skin and keeps you cooler. I know that when I'm working outside and I wear short sleeves (very rarely), I feel like my skin is just baking in the sun. Covering up is the trick to staying cool on those hot days.

kmzlawncare
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
No sleeves Here when its HOT.

redmax fan
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Man, I'd love too, but I'm 6'4" and wear a size 36"x36". They just don't sell that size at ANY store! I'm lucky to find a pair or two of jeans in my size in the whole store, usually 34 is the longest length you can find.
I've threatened to special order some tan dickies or work pants, but just never have...

you can order on line from red kap or dickies for special sizes

i buy red kap from a local uniform store where they sell like police and mailman clothes for cheap , and they hem them up for free to my size

redmax fan
08-13-2009, 12:31 AM
i learned this years ago when a friend of mine was a male exotic dancer ( we laughed at him til we saw all the women he was dating :laugh:) ,
well for dancing the dance team manager or whatever it was had him shear off the hair on his legs because the women liked it . so we were laughing like crazy once again :laugh:

but he told me you wouldnt believe how much cooler you are when you shear the hair off

so i got some electric shears and sheared the hair off my legs / arms / under arms without caring what anybody thought because i wanted to be cooler in summer and found it works . ecspecially in lawn care when blowing dust usually clings on to arm hair , well with it sheared off the arms / body stay cooler because dirt aint caked on

and i wear those kind of halk socks that only come up to the tops of my hiking boots which are cooler than full length socks to me

MikeKle
08-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Those starter Dri-star shirts fit kinda weird, I wear an XL and their XL is pretty big on me, but its shorter in length than any shirt Ive seen? It barely goes beneath my belt! I wouldnt wear that, it just looked too strange. Maybe Walmart was selling defects? I will stick with under armour, more expensive but worth every penny.

Bob_n_weave
08-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Under Armour is all I wear, even the Underware. It is soo much more comfy and dryer. Yes it's more expensive but it is worth it to me.

I hate Cotton Shirts

Richard Martin
08-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Yeah, they're all over the Internet. I wear Dickies long sleeve and pants. It's not that big of a deal. I have noticed that when you cool off you're cooled off. When I wore shorts I would stay hotter for longer even after Igot into air conditioning.

Here's some right here....

http://www.workinggear.com/gc/catalog/Dickies-Traditional-Workpant-874-cat933.html

sa1lng
08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I wear BDU's for pants and lightweight fishing shirts with the back vent. It makes things much cooler, and the shirts are 3/4 sleeves

MiguelTX
08-13-2009, 07:59 PM
+1 on fishing shirts! I have 1 of these and even the lightest breeze cools me down: http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/apparel/mens/outdoors/all_magellan&start=0&selectedSKU=0651-00365-8308