PDA

View Full Version : Pro -Locker

delphied
06-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Whats up with pro lockers being $242? That seems high.

CUTABOVElc
06-17-2009, 09:53 PM
better shop arond. just got one a couple o days ago for 105.00 shipped

delphied
06-17-2009, 11:06 PM
From where?

Richard Martin
06-18-2009, 05:40 AM
It depends on which size you get. If it's the 21" to 26" unit then that's a really good price. I think the list is somewhere around $339.

The 12.5" to 16" unit is on eBay right now for $105 including shipping. -->> http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PROLOCKER-FOR-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER-UTILITY-TRAILER_W0QQitemZ120424074988QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090522?IMSfp=TL090522152006r24618

Richard Martin
06-18-2009, 06:12 AM
You know something? I'm reading the rules regarding securing loads and I'm not so sure the ProLockers meet those requirements if you only use one ProLocker. It says that the load cannot shift laterally and cause instability but a single Prolocker would allow a 1300 pound ZTR to flop all over the place. It also says that the load must be " Immobilized, such so that it cannot shift or tip to the extent that the vehicle's (read as your trailer and truck) stability or maneuverability is adversely affected;".

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?chunkKey=0901633480023950

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
You know something? I'm reading the rules regarding securing loads and I'm not so sure the ProLockers meet those requirements if you only use one ProLocker. It says that the load cannot shift laterally and cause instability but a single Prolocker would allow a 1300 pound ZTR to flop all over the place. It also says that the load must be " Immobilized, such so that it cannot shift or tip to the extent that the vehicle's (read as your trailer and truck) stability or maneuverability is adversely affected;".

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?chunkKey=0901633480023950

I think you may be right. I believe that a ProLocker coupled with a proper strap would be acceptable in the eyes of the law.

I suspect that the new rules will catch some people off guard. The rules also require that your method of securing must meet their specs. Everyday I see huge ZTR's on trailers with a little 1” strap attached to a front caster or not secured at all. This is not only unsafe, it is asking for a ticket and a further safety check to find what else you overlooked. It could get expensive.

I use E-Track with 2” straps for several of reasons. Mainly because they work and have been an accepted method of securing loads in the trucking industry for a long time. They are easy to set up and use and are relatively cheap.

Dan

delphied
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
As I read it, a prolocker would be just fine on my open trailer with rails because the load can shift , but not enough to cause any instability. Ive never had a unit tip on the trailer.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I originally was going to use a Prolocker and even bought one before I had my first mower. After I got my Scag, I tested the locker and the Scag wouldn't fit well at all. The only way I could get it to fit was to roll the caster in backward. There was no way to just drive into it and it work. I took it back and bought Fastraps and never looked back. I almost bought the E-track system and I still might but it's pricey and I'd need a few different latches to secure it down which will add up to over $200. After adding the quick 36, I need a easy way to secure it without taking 5 minutes to strap it down. The big mower with the Fastraps takes about 30 seconds to strap down. Heck, I might just order a pair of Fastraps again. They work great and the chocks serve as a tie down location for other stuff I haul.

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 10:59 AM
ALC-GregH, I don't know who quoted you $200, but that sounds way high. I bought enough to do my entire trailer and all the equipment. The cost was about $65. I bought the stuff from a local truck and trailer (semi) supply company. I have seen the same stuff at an RV dealer at a much inflated price.

This place seems to have decent prices.
Click here (http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrackstrapstiedowns-c-3.html?gclid=CNvtguX5k5sCFQENDQodthuXnA)

Dan

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for that link! the mfg website is http://www.ericksonmfg.com/

I really like the retractable ratchet straps...

I could not find any width dimensions though.... our trailers have 3" steel box section rails the E Track appears to be wider than that. Anyone know the width?

Putting them on the deck would be a no go for us. If they'll work it sure would solve a problem for me.

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
The E-Track I have is 5" wide (I just measured it).

Could you spot weld it in your application? Keep in mind that you don't need to install a full length section for it to be useful. You can cut the track down to serve your needs. I'm sure that there is some way to install so that it will work.

Dan

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
The E-Track I have is 5" wide (I just measured it).

Could you spot weld it in your application? Keep in mind that you don't need to install a full length section for it to be useful. You can cut the track down to serve your needs. I'm sure that there is some way to install so that it will work.

Dan

You could cut the length but not the width.... the accessories would no long lock into place. If it's 5" then I can't mount it to the side rails. Even spot welding wouldn't work as 2" of the thing would be either above or below the side rails.

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
You could cut the length but not the width.... the accessories would no long lock into place. If it's 5" then I can't mount it to the side rails. Even spot welding wouldn't work as 2" of the thing would be either above or below the side rails.

Split the difference and weld it. One inch over and one inch below. If welded properly it will work fine without detracting from it's effectiveness. How about welding (or bolting) them to the vertical supports at floor level. You don't have to have them backed completely by a rail. Or you could floor mount, I know you said you didn't want to do that, but that is why I mentioned cutting it. You could bolt 6" or whatever length pieces (strategically placed to fit your equipment), into the floor without too much intrusion.

I have 2 ten foot sections bolted to the floor and can easily and quickly strap any piece of equipment just about any where I want. Sometimes they collect a little dirt or mulch and I hit them with the blower.

Just trying to give you some ideas. I'm sure that there is a way to do it.

Dan

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 12:52 PM
No the floor is out. It creates a trip hazard (I'm not a solo, have 8 trailers). We're using pan type eyes now (flush with the floor when released) but they can be troublesome when you change your loading scheme

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I understand your position about the floor. I assume these are open trailers. What about welding to the vertical uprights at floor level. The E-Track would not be floor mounted, it would be perpendicular to the floor (on the side of the trailer). Also keep in mind that you don't have to run the straps from one side of the trailer to the other. You can strap the equipment to one side of the trailer (on the same piece of E-Track).

Anyway, I hope that you find something that works for your setup.

Dan

Richard Martin
06-18-2009, 02:54 PM
As I read it, a prolocker would be just fine on my open trailer with rails because the load can shift , but not enough to cause any instability. Ive never had a unit tip on the trailer.

You have to read the whole thing and then interpert it as if you were in an accident. You'll notice that all specs are given in measurements of G force. A tie down strap is required in addition to the means to keep your load from shifting. A single ProLocker isn't going to stop a mower from moving in an accident and could cause the mower to shift thereby causing instability. You can interpert them as being as simple as you want but if something does happen you better hope the law looks at it the same way. Better safe than sorry, especially for the little bit of money we're talking about.