PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help identify!

DarrenLumpkins
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I have no clue what type of weed this is. Have never seen it before.

Think Green
06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Down here we call that horsenettle or dogfennell. That stuff grows in pastures and roadside wastelands. Unattended--poorly maintained soils--poor organic matter soils are blanketed with this stuff.
When left unattended or mowed, this stuff will get 4-5 feet tall and the stem will need to be cust with a blade attachment on your line trimmer or brushhog..

Is this lawn out in the country near pastures????

DiyDave
06-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I believe its Mare's tail, the weed that is escaping roundup, by becoming genetically resistant to RU. Broadleaf weed killer still kills it, though. Regional names don't matter much, but look up mare's tail, and see if I am right. Check this link: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/horseweed.html

Think Green
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Dead Gummit'---I am going to chew out the U of A for not formally labelling these weed identification books more clearly........! I guess it all depends on what part of the continent you live on as to what something is called. Horseweed..........Horsenettle.....Dogfennell.............same weed! Different names! LOL!

Thanks for watching my back Dave!

GracesLandscaping
06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
that stuff doesnt only grow in pastures! ive got some up next to a building in my backyard where its kinda unattended where i started to get it ready to be turned into a bed and all the rain has me so backed up i havent had time. its really wet and ugly and grows alot around here in untreated areas!

DarrenLumpkins
06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help and the replys.