PDA

View Full Version : I need a trailer

MS_SURVEYOR
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I need a trailer to transport my 52 inch ztr. I already know it's going to be 6ft wide. I have as my choices,

1) 6ft x 10ft 2 wheel trailer

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/pbusby/stuff6/www.jpg

2) 6ft x 12ft 2 wheel trailer

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/pbusby/stuff6/6x12a.jpg

3) 6ft x 12ft 4 wheel trailer

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/pbusby/stuff6/b.jpg

I drive a 1989 Toyota pickup. My z rider weighs close to 1,200lbs with full gas tanks. It's 6ft 4inches long. All of the trailers have 4ft gates to load up on.

Thanks For Any Advice!

ms

MOturkey
06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Unless you have other uses for the trailer, I'd to with the 6X12, single axle. That is what I used until just recently, when I purchased, and began hauling, the second ZTR mower. That isn't much weight, really, and the single axle trailer will do just fine, plus will probably run you several hundred less than the tandem axle rig. I recommend the 12 foot over the 10, because it is always nice to have that little extra room, and 2 feet doesn't effect the maneuverability, weight, or price, all that much.

Do you have a Trailer World near you? I checked some of their trailers while in Alabama, and they seem really well made, and reasonably priced, but I wasn't ready to buy at the time I was there, so bought a PJ from a local dealer later on.

LouisianaLawnboy
06-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Those trailers don't look to heavy duty.

Go with a 14' trailer.

tacoma200
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
6X12 Would be a good all around trailer, you might as well go 16' if you get dual axles.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Those trailers don't look to heavy duty.

Go with a 14' trailer.

How heavy duty does a trailer need to be? All I own is a Toyota 4 banger? Does not the weight of the trailer count as towing weight? I'm not as far as I know at this time going to be a full time lawn care professional. Some part time mowing jobs. A trip few times a month to the mother in laws.

Oh Well!

ms

South Florida Lawns
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
go as big as you can. With mowers and equipment all loaded up anything less than 14ft will become cramped fast!

Oh and a 7k trailer is fine for hauling mowers around.

nnj18
06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
get a 7x16....I have a 6x12 and upgrading to a 7x16 very soon...I have a 48" wb and 60" z

snapper
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
i must chime in here. You have a four banger truck. Your mower is 52". Your are not going full time yet. One question, do you plan to haul more equipment than just the mower on the trailer? Or other uses? I would see if it would fit on a five foot wide trailer cause it will pull easier behind your truck. I believe you 52" deck ought to fit a 60" wide trailer. Might be close but a five foot trailer is easier to pull with a four cylinder. And depending on what else you need to haul with the mower on the trailer, or what you might haul besides the mower, I would go 10 foot long. Cause the four cylinder isn't very big. And unless you have another mower bigger than 52, or another use that would require 72" of width, i would go probably go 5x10 or so. Your truck will thank you. And on the heavy enough part, look for a 3500lb axle and 14" or bigger tires. And look at the gate close, make sure it has enough support, they are the weak link when loading a ztr. So theres my take, these guys are pro who need to take alot of equipment with them, and have the need for such big trailers, and have big enough tow vehicles. So don't know if this will help, but that is my take..

later chris

MS_SURVEYOR
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks Snapper!

That's what I was thinking. It's tight on a 60 inch trailer. I borrowed my neighbors last week. It was a 5x8 tilt. Didn't backup worth a hoot. Darn wheels were too close to the middle of the trailer. I'm for sure going with a 6ft wide. I'm leaning real hard on the 6x12 tandem axle.

Thanks all,

ms

06-18-2009, 09:21 PM
This is a 6x10 with a Lazer Z 66" deck, and a 32" Metro. I have about 3 inches to spare in the back...

And I pull it behind an S10 with a 4 cylinder 2.2L with no problems. Even get 20 mpg with the trailer :)

snapper
06-18-2009, 11:23 PM
well before you pull the trigger i would see if you could take a test run behind your truck. That tandem might be a bit much for you truck. And not to mention that is four tires to replace and four sets of bearings. With a tandem tires wear faster, alot if you do much turning because one set of tires always drag when turning. And if you turn too sharp under the right conditions, i have seen bearings go, not fun to see your tire riding a few inches further out than it is suppose to. The decision is yours but i would want a test run with the tandem because it might be too much for your truck. The single axle will weigh less, you can turn as tight as you want. And with a tandem there is a slim to none chance to move it by hand. With a single it is a lot more likely. And the tongue wait might be higher on the tandem. Try to pick the tongue up on a singe vs tandem and see how difference there is, and will your truck handle the extra tongue weight? Again this is just my take, your mileage may vary, just dont want you to get more trailer than your truck can handle.

Later chris

MS_SURVEYOR
06-19-2009, 12:22 AM
This is a 6x10 with a Lazer Z 66" deck, and a 32" Metro. I have about 3 inches to spare in the back...

And I pull it behind an S10 with a 4 cylinder 2.2L with no problems. Even get 20 mpg with the trailer :)

Thanks!

Makes the 6x12 look even better! I was wanting to put a side gate for loading other things!

That's a very good point snapper!

Thanks!

ms

genesis215
06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Get the 6x12 single-axle. You will be able to push that trailer anywhere you want to hook it up. The tandem axle can't be moved by hand hardly, and will weigh a lot more than a single axle. It will be too much weight for a little 2.4L 4-cylinder Toyota. I have a 5x13 single axle, and I can push it around wherever I want.