PDA

View Full Version : What to charge.. ????

hvphotog
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
have to pull some shrubs and no clue what to charge, thinking i will hook a chain and skid steer to them and yank.. so would be me, skid steer and laborer and maybe two or 3 hours at most, is like 15 shrubs.. see pics below, not the best taken with my cell

any suggestions on pricing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/davantiz23/16_resize.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/davantiz23/17_resize.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/davantiz23/18_resize.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/davantiz23/19_resize.jpg

4seasonsmgt
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM
put a price per hour on the laborer and then one on the machine plus any removal costs to get rid of the bushs but just get a price per hour makes it alot easier.

STIHL GUY
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
i would price it by hour in case it takes longer than you expected

hvphotog
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
i charge 30 per hour for my laborers and for the machine and op typically about 85 an hour but like to get 450 for machine and op for anything under 4 hours to make up for move and time loading and unloading
.. thinking maybe like 500 for the job... thoughts :confused:

put a price per hour on the laborer and then one on the machine plus any removal costs to get rid of the bushs but just get a price per hour makes it alot easier.

hvphotog
06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Home owner just wants a flat price...

i would price it by hour in case it takes longer than you expected

LouisianaLawnboy
06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
500.00 is really high.

That would take me and a helper proly 2 hrs at the most.

150.00-200.00

hvphotog
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
is that with a machine? if so what is your normal hourly rate for machine and operator? there about about 16 shrubs to be removed there..

500.00 is really high.

That would take me and a helper proly 2 hrs at the most.

150.00-200.00

thinksnow
06-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I pulled a bunch of those out with my diesel pick up and a big choke strap. It didn't take long at all.

hvphotog
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
where they are located i can't get my truck in there, have to bring over my skid steer.. also have to be careful not to pull up patio with roots

I pulled a bunch of those out with my diesel pick up and a big choke strap. It didn't take long at all.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I'd say between $250-350 if you can get up close to all of them without causing any damage to turf. The thing about pulling them with a truck is whether or not you can pull on them without being in grass. If your going to be in the grass with the truck, then more then likely you'll spin wheels and ruin the lawn. If you can yank on them from asphalt you might be OK pulling them out. If you have a skid loader, it should make quick work of them. If hand digging is needed then your price is close.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
where they are located i can't get my truck in there, have to bring over my skid steer.. also have to be careful not to pull up patio with roots

If this is the case, stick with your price. $500 sounds about right. Remember, even though you have a means to yank them up, you'll still have to go back over the area and clean it up, fill in the holes and rack it out. Stick with your price.

topsites
06-18-2009, 11:55 AM
F that I ain't pulling no shrubs, I just cut them off right at ground level and haul it all away,
whole lot less work, whole lot cheaper, granted it does help if the customer is a regular because
the remaining stubs might need some aftercare to ensure they're dead.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
F that, I just cut them off right at ground level, spray the stumps and haul it all away, without getting a real good look I say $150.

That my friend would be considered, half azzed work.

topsites
06-18-2009, 12:01 PM
That my friend would be considered, half azzed work.

Maybe that's because you ain't never spent one or two hours hacking and spading and
digging and pulling and pushing and sweating and cussing on just one of those shrubs LOL

hvphotog
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
they want to replant more in the same spot, what would you do with the old root systems?

F that I ain't pulling no shrubs, I just cut them off right at ground level and haul it all away,
whole lot less work, whole lot cheaper, granted it does help if the customer is a regular because
the remaining stubs might need some aftercare to ensure they're dead.

hvphotog
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Tearing out the patio is a major concern of mine in a few areas so will take it easy on pulling and see what happens, if it starts to move the patio it will become hand work on those few

Maybe that's because you ain't never spent one or two hours hacking and spading and
digging and pulling and pushing and sweating and cussing on just one of those shrubs LOL
Granted that's by hand, but with equipment hopefully some root doesn't tear out the sidewalk.

topsites
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
they want to replant more in the same spot, what would you do with the old root systems?

I can dig a hole large enough to fit new shrubs, and I might get one or two stubborn roots
to spade through but that's no problem, the big problem with pulling them out whole is when an
existing root is as thick as someones arm and goes up under that sidewalk.
And sure enough one always does but even if it doesn't, as a rule the entire root ball is as big as the plant above ground.

Either way, the first step is I cut them off at ground level, then I go from there, see...
If there's a hole for me to dig at some point at least the shrub's out of my way.

So in this case I get out what I can but the rest, it decomposes over time.

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Sure I have. I had a very similar job that I THOUGHT my truck would work pulling them out. It took close to an hour each, had 5 to pull out. So yes, I've cut, chopped, dug around, chain sawed roots and yes, cussed a bunch at not 1 but 5 shrubs. :D

ejojr
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
you don't need a machine to get those out. my guys would get them out in no time with loppers, spades and axes, including the stump
16 shrubs, $30 each, $480. Done in less than 2 hrs.