PDA

View Full Version : MCPP, 2, 4-D and 2, and 4-DP on centipede?

JShe8918
06-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey i have dandelions in my yard and a friend of mine gave me a bottle of triple threat by complete solution. It specifies not to use it on dichondria, st. augustine, and something else. I didn't see anything on the label about centipede. The active ingredients are MCPP, 2, 4-D and 2, and 4-DP. I was thinking that it couldn't be sprayed on my yard since centipede and st. augustine are tit for tat on tolerability. Let me know...

greendoctor
06-18-2009, 06:04 AM
The one and only time I used a conventional Three Way amine on centipede, I remember it stunting, burning and yellowing the centipede. It also failed to completely kill the weeds I intended to kill. 2,4-DP, and MCPP are probably the worst things to apply to centipede. My broadleaf mix of choice for centipede or st augustine is metsulfuron + Quicksilver. It hurts the weeds way more than the centipede.

RAlmaroad
06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey i have dandelions in my yard and a friend of mine gave me a bottle of triple threat by complete solution. It specifies not to use it on dichondria, st. augustine, and something else. I didn't see anything on the label about centipede. The active ingredients are MCPP, 2, 4-D and 2, and 4-DP. I was thinking that it couldn't be sprayed on my yard since centipede and st. augustine are tit for tat on tolerability. Let me know...

Hey: That centipede will die if you even get the bottle close to it...St. Augustine is far more tolerant with some chemicals than centipede. Do Not Use it!

txgrassguy
06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
You simply cannot use any type of 2,4-D compound on Centipede.
Atrazine may control some of the tap roots like Oxallis and Allum spp. present, and I am certain there are other herbicides available.

JShe8918
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks that is what i was thinking and then......... Low and Behold on the LABEL it reads...

NEWLY SEEDED LAWNS may be treated after they have been mowed at least
3 times. BENT, RED FESCUE, CENTIPEDE AND CARPET GRASSES: Use onehalf
the recommended rate (2 teaspoons of product per gallon of water covers
200 sq. ft.). Make 2 applications 10 days apart. Do not apply to Dichondra,
Lippia, St. Augustine and Clover lawns.

Confusing but i am with you all on this chemical.. Like i said a friend of mine gave it to me because the minimum order was four 1 gallon containers. He used it on his zoysia which automatically made me think it wasn't going to work.

rdw
10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
hey fella's I have applied illegal amounts of 2 4 D on my centipede trying to kill a specific weed. I mean gallons per acre and the centipede walked thru it like is was just being watered. Iwas to the point I didn't care if I killed the grass as long as i killed the weed. Well, it killed neither. I would not recommended this action nor would I try this on a customers lawn. I always apply 2 4 D for broadleaf weed control along with "poast" for grass weed control. And 2 4 D will kill fescue (St, Augustine) at the drop of a hat.