PDA

View Full Version : do you value a dealer

JDSUZUKI
06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
I am at wits end with most contractors out there. I work for a dealer in the panhandle of Florida, I cant understand why you guys, run so many different brands of product. Almost all of your upper echelon mower makers make incredible products. so why buy a scag from 1 a hustler from another and a toro from yet another. why not buy from the dealer you like doing business with? I manage the parts department and you can bet I reward the guys that are loyal, that goes for service as well. I take pride in pricing to keep you off the internet but I guess its a losing battle!

GravelyGuy
06-18-2009, 12:08 AM
For me personally, I see no reason to buy parts form the dealers when they stock nothing, overprice the parts, and take longer to get them than myself if I order them online.

Pay less and receive faster = internet parts.

I hope my new dealer is better.

marcuslawnguy
06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
my dealer is usually next day if not in stock with a fat discount.

JDSUZUKI
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
gravely guy. you must have some crappy dealers in your area. as do we, when I took over my position my main objective was to get back the commercial business. We already had an excellent service department but only oem parts. so I went aftermarket on everything I could get my hands on. So far it has seemed to work. My only gripe is when someone finds some closeout deal online that is well below my cost and wont come back. Contrary to most cutters out there a dealer stays in business with parts and service, mower margins suck.

GravelyGuy
06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
gravely guy. you must have some crappy dealers in your area. as do we, when I took over my position my main objective was to get back the commercial business. We already had an excellent service department but only oem parts. so I went aftermarket on everything I could get my hands on. So far it has seemed to work. My only gripe is when someone finds some closeout deal online that is well below my cost and wont come back. Contrary to most cutters out there a dealer stays in business with parts and service, mower margins suck.

Nothing serious this time, but I ordered a part for my Mantis tiller on June 3rd from one of my dealers and I just called them yesterday and they have not received it. It's the year 2009, you can have anything from anywhere in days not weeks. WTF is the holdup with everything.

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
My value in a dealer is the same a customer has in a LCO. "what have you done for me lately?".

You're correct in that most of the comemrcial mowers are a coin toss regarding quality and cut, but they're not in price or productivity. I once ran only Exmarks but now we're slowly switching to Bobcats. Why? Price. exmark has had two rediculous price increases two years in a row. I can buy more mower for less money with the Bobcat.

I buy almost nothing else from that dealer (and the mowers actually come out of Bobcat's "fleet" program. The dealer gets a set up fee and whatever else Bobcat pays him to handle the sale. We also are switching to Stihl hand helds which is almost complete... only a few Echo's left. Same dealer sells Echo, Stihl and Bobcat. BUT there are 4 Stihl dealers here in Mobile. I buy them from whoever gives me the best price.

All consumables are bought in bulk from either distributors or online. Oil is bought from a local oil wholesaler in bulk.

The dealer has to make a buck just like I do, he negotiates the best deal he can get from his suppliers but doesn't want me too???? What's wrong with that picture?

I buy oil filters by the case and even with shipping I'm paying about half of what he sells a inferior filter for. I'm using Purolator's and he's selling "rotary". I buy fully synthetic 2 cycle oil for 18 bucks a gallon he gets close to $40. I buy gator blades for under 20 bucks a set and he gets nearly $45..... same with everything else.

I buy 60 sets of ZTR blades a year... the price difference ends up being $1500 just on ZTR blades... over the course of a year I save over 20K by NOT buying consumables from the dealer. Now the folks I buy from are certainly making a profit or they couldn't stay in business. What will the dealer do for me over the course of a year that's worth 20K??? enquiring minds want to know.

I like the dealer by the way. he's a good guy, runs a good business, has knowledgable staff working there, beautiful showroom... been in business since the 50s.

But nothing he can do for me is worth me tossing him a extra 20K for it.

I buy from the dealer when there's no other choice.

ToroLandscaper
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I will use different brand mowers because I do not exactly like to put all of my eggs in one basket. I do not want to get "stuck" with a machine if I do not like it, much less 2 or 3 of them!

Also, I think different brands make better products than others.

Ex.
I really like Exmark walk behinds, but am not a huge fan of there ZTRS.
I really like Toro ZTRs, but am not a huge fan of there walk behinds.
I really like Stihl back pack blowers, but am not a huge fan of their weed
whips.

And a lot of times I will order parts off of the internet because the pricing is so much better! Every time I walk into a dealer to get parts or accessories I just feel like my wallet is getting raped.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 12:32 AM
you need to point out to customers that you service! and internet dealer is ther to sell liquidate and move on. i buy tons online! ebay etc. i find i am getting a great deal 50% of the time the other times i am getting the wrong stuff bad defective parts and shipping them back for a refund is pointless! you should make a poster and put check marks next to the things i said and hang it on your wall.

gravely guy just finds it more convenient to buy online as do i in the situation i am in, which i cant talk about. online you can find what you need yourself instead of having a 2 bit highschool kid look up your parts or its some old surly bastard that wants to argue with you about what you need. interent is nice for certain people but for your customers you should point out the bad things about buing online and why your parts are more money. value, service and reputation all mix into this somthing a internet cant provide is somoen with knowledge you can talk with face to face, so in which use that advantage you have to inform customers. just my 26 cents lol

lyube
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
I am at wits end with most contractors out there. I work for a dealer in the panhandle of Florida, I cant understand why you guys, run so many different brands of product. Almost all of your upper echelon mower makers make incredible products. so why buy a scag from 1 a hustler from another and a toro from yet another. why not buy from the dealer you like doing business with? I manage the parts department and you can bet I reward the guys that are loyal, that goes for service as well. I take pride in pricing to keep you off the internet but I guess its a losing battle!

Because only one dealer sells toro, only one sells scag, and another one only sells hustler.

Sell Scag, Hustler, and Toro and I'll buy from you.

Perhaps we feel that certain brands make better mowers in certain sizes?

JDSUZUKI
06-18-2009, 12:49 AM
kaferhaus. the rotary filters are now made by wix. I guess the point i'm trying to make is that. this green industry we are in is by far the most immature market I have been associated with, when I came out of the hvac world I thought this parts biz would be easy and is has turned out to be the most frustrating and backstabbing class of business owners both lco's and dealers that I have ever witnessed. No body seems to believe in building relationships in business anymore. I cant seem to earn trust even with pricing

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 01:09 AM
try selling auto parts to a bunch of garages that have all the other parts stores on speed dial! if you dont have the cheapest price they go somewhere else even if it is one of your best customers. my uncle owns a napa auto parts store and my uncles all have their own garages you should see some of the fights! lol

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 01:19 AM
kaferhaus. the rotary filters are now made by wix

I'm glad they found a better source, but they're still twice the price...

Low prices and great service and you'll get the loyalty. Dealers don't offer that. you get either high prices and crappy service or high prices and good service but never low prices and good service.

The other thing that no one has brought up is that to buy from the dealer you have to GO there, often stand in line, pay too much AND pay sales tax on it (not the dealers fault obviously) but here in Bama that's 10% right there. Say over the course of a year you buy 40K worth of parts and consumables. you'd save 4K just on the damned tax.

And it's good to see that you're trying to stock aftermarket parts. Most dealers won't because it's easy for the customer to compare prices on aftermarket parts than OEM parts. Many only offer the OEM parts because they can get better margins on them AND those little distributor or factory "incentives" they don't tell anyone about for "volume".

When the FS90R stihl's were "on sale" for $279 one dealer had the balls to tell me that he'd "already lowered the price $30 and there was little profit left"... yeah I'm stupid. The "sale" had nothing to do with the dealer it was either a dist or factory program where his cost had been reduced to compensate for the "sale" price.

I went down the road to the next one and got the trimmers for $265 each (10). chicken feed? well it saved me $140 for 20 minutes of my time.

topsites
06-18-2009, 02:09 AM
My value in a dealer is the same a customer has in a LCO.

Yes, some of us learn fast.

GravelyGuy
06-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Nothing serious this time, but I ordered a part for my Mantis tiller on June 3rd from one of my dealers and I just called them yesterday and they have not received it. It's the year 2009, you can have anything from anywhere in days not weeks. WTF is the holdup with everything.

Part finally "came in" last Tuesday and I took it in today. The trigger is seriously a two minute fix and they told me that it would hopefully be by the end of the week:nono: Would not let me fix.

Dealers are fricken grrreat around here!

Woody82986
06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I used to go to my equipment dealer when I needed something. Since I moved to a different town and don't trust anyone around me to get me the stuff I need, I either wait until I have the time to run by the dealer to order the stuff, or I find it online. The problem i have with ordering online is that sometimes all I need is a $1.00 part that weighs less than a tenth of a pound and the shipping is still $8.99 or more. That's what pisses me off and more often than not those are the little types of parts that I will go to my dealer for since he often stocks stuff like that. I get my blades off ebay though, and I have never found a dealer that could even come close to what I pay for blades online.
I suppose I am loyal to my dealer in that if I need something and can't get it online myself, then they are the only ones I will go to.

ashelton
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I am fortunate, I have a dealer who stocks just about every part you could possibly ever want for Grasshopper and Redmax, if he doesn't have it he will get it the next day. His service is also incredible, guaranteed 2 hour turn around. I might pay a little more, but I feel he makes me a lot more money by keeping my machines running. Unfortunately, this seems to be the exception, I have taken some of my other stuff(Stihl, echo, etc.) to other dealers in town, and the service is absolutely terrible.

Heintooga
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I deal with two independents, one for two strokers and one for mowers. Both are family owned/operated! They both deal on first come-first served, as it should be. A homeonwer looking for equipment, parts or service gets the same treatment as their high dollar customers. I've never had to wait more than three days for anything they didn't have in stock but thats because I won't 'special order' anything.

jcthorne
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=kaferhaus;3049145]My value in a dealer is the same a customer has in a LCO

I buy oil filters by the case and even with shipping I'm paying about half of what he sells a inferior filter for. I'm using Purolator's and he's selling "rotary". I buy fully synthetic 2 cycle oil for 18 bucks a gallon he gets close to $40. I buy gator blades for under 20 bucks a set and he gets nearly $45..... same with everything else.

Do you mind sharing what kind of 2 cycle oil you are using and what distributor you are buying from.

I buy a quality 2 cycle oil from Medart (parts distributor) for $22 a gallon. It comes in 5 gallon containers and that will last about a month for my operation.

If your getting a quality synthetic at a better price I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

txgrassguy
06-29-2009, 11:16 PM
On major repairs, those being either under warranty or enough of a pain I do not want to do it myself, the machines go back to the dealer.
Over the course of eight years with this particular dealer he and I negotiate prices. He and I both know we are both profit margin driven yet at the same time he knows I prefer buying from him unless the price is beyond a negotiable point. In eight years this has happened only once.
The end result?
All of my machines, averaging 6 every two years for both stand on units and the 21" walk behinds, are purchased from him. When one of my foremen brings in a machine for repair it goes to the head of the line. When the inevitable person asks me where I acquire my equipment, I tell him of my dealer. And upon occasion I have sold equipment for my dealer by just answering questions of potential buyers and steering them to an often higher dollar machine better suited to their needs.
Will I continue to buy from this dealer? Yes - unless he sells out which he is trying to do so he may fully retire.
Then I may go elsewhere.

delphied
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I would prefer to buy locally but yhe dealers in my area feel they should get from 400 to 1000 more for a machine than a dealer 25 miles away. I take offense in that and a driving I will go.

lifetree
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I would prefer to buy locally but yhe dealers in my area feel they should get from 400 to 1000 more for a machine than a dealer 25 miles away. I take offense in that and a driving I will go.

Makes sense to me !!

topsites
06-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I did for a long time maintain a 100% loyalty factor, why then has my relationship with dealers soured?

Here is my story:
Way back, 7 years ago, back in 2002 I bought my first trimmer, an FS-85 that lasted the season and then suddenly one day ran like crap. Off to the dealer it went, and there it sat, for weeks and weeks, through the winter and into spring...
I had to have a trimmer, the mechanic simply told me he finally got around to it and having checked the
compression said this machine was well below 100 psi, that it had lost all compression.
The thought that this might be a marketing trick did cross my mind, but I put that aside and decided
instead to believe him, and bought an Echo srm-260s.
But I kept that FS-85, as folks told me, for parts, in the corner it sat...

The Echo lasted a solid 3 years, then it also started to acting stupid, need I regurgitate the story at the
dealership or can I just say that this is how I came about buying the FS-100rx...
Another trimmer goes to sit in the dark corner of broken trimmers that will never run again.
This time was the second time around I started to wondering...

It is also of interest to note that at the time someone (and I just can't remember who) at the dealership
mentioned that Stihl was discontinuing their FS-85's and that they were carrying the last of those...
I immediately bought one, figuring I'd have a spare pole trimmer with the attachment.
Mind you this is the year 2006 and to this day I see the FS-85 being sold.

In all of those years I tinkered with that srm-260s, I didn't know much about small engine repairs, I thought at the time I understood why small engine mechanics didn't want to fool with them, why it wasn't worth their time if it cost more to fix it than it was worth...
But then, I didn't know much about trimmers, this was about to change.

About two years ago I finally had it down, it had to be the coil.
Another sour grape, all Echo coils have a Lifetime warranty, I figured I'd just walk in the dealership and all was good, but I was mistaken. The dealer said he'd never heard of such a warranty, but that if I was willing to show him where it said that, he would honor it.
I drove home, found my Echo's manual, found the warranty part, went back to the dealer.
He was surprised, his actual words were “You found the manual?!”
I said “I keep all of my manuals”

The dealer accepted the claim but said they would have to replace it so as to be sure and all of that,
fine, no problem, but I had to pay the labor.
Got the trimmer back a few days later, yes it did have a new coil, no, it did not run.
And some might think I got what I deserved for being such an arrogant SOB, and the thought crossed
my mind as well, but that turned out later not to be true.
Still, totally dejected I put the srm-260s back in its corner, where it sat for another year.

topsites
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Fast forward to last year, how would we know it, after 3 great years of running strong the FS-100rx wants to act stupid.
Long story short I brought it to the dealer, they suggested I buy another, and I walked out.
Why, I was on to something, I was fed up.

Took it home, figured it was going to cost me $120 at any dealer anyhow, so I ordered a carburetor and a coil for it, unfortunately they had to be ordered separate but the total cost $100'ish.
And, I had to have a trimmer!
I swapped a head out with the newer FS-85, used that for a few days, brand new trimmer, I didn't like the way it ran.
Came home, pulled the coil off the old FS-85, installed that on the FS-100, it ran better but as soon as it warmed up...
Several light bulbs came on in my head, but after much fooling around I went back to using the new FS-85.

A week later the coil came in, I installed that, it didn't run, I still had no good working trimmer.

Totally pissed off I decided I would run past the dealer in the morning and SOB yes I didn't want to do this but I would just buy another FS-100rx and be done. Got there early, 2 customers in front of me, 20 minutes later the entire store is full of customers and the same two guys were still in front of me and I walked out.
You see, I'm getting the hang of this, granted I was angry but by now I had learned a few things, the day before I had installed the new coil on the FS-100rx, why it didn't want to run is because I hadn't got the carburetor yet but by then I had learned to GAP a coil.

I decided, on a hunch, to check that Echo out.
Pulled it apart, took one look at the coil gap and saw a LOT of air!
Adjusted it, and it has ran like a raped ape since, not bad for a supposedly crapped out trimmer that will never run again, but what really ticked me off was that having paid the labor for a WARRANTY coil the bastards didn't have the decency to gap it right!

I did get the FS-100rx running as well, by now I had 3 running trimmers and it dawned on me that I would never buy a
trimmer from a dealer again, if it cost me more time and trouble to fix it than it would to buy another, I'd fix it.

Fast forward to a week ago, another crazy hunch, why do I get these?
Pulled that old FS-85r that's been sitting now for 6 years off the wall, decided
to check the compression since I did have a gauge, came up with 120+ psi!
Yes, the very same one they told me had lost it all, would never run right again.
Too bad this trimmer had been ransacked by me for parts, it was all in pieces.
I found most of them, had to order a muffler.
The bolts were so badly rusted, I had no choice but to cut them flush with a dremel tool and
spot arc-weld the new one on, a might trick of an affair with that aluminum heat sink but it worked.
But, would it ever run again, why it never ran right 6 years ago?
I ordered a box full of various used Stihl parts from Ebay, one of those parts was a coil.
Today I put it all together, I am still missing some throttle cable and the wires and that little electronic piece
inside the handle, but I didn't need that to fire it up, fuel, carburetor, coil, powerhead, recoil, good to go.

And fire up it did, working the throttle manually I got that thing running like new,
it did smoke for some time as all the oil it had sat in to keep it from rusting wore off.

So, 4 trimmers...
2 of which had been declared 'will never run right again' by the dealer, granted, one isn't quite together yet but soon!
1 which, had someone not said "Omg you don't know this but they won't be selling THAT one no more!" I would not have bought.

And the last one, really, I can see having two maybe three trimmers, with one always as a backup, but exactly
how many trimmers do dealers figure they can gaff off on unsuspecting victims like myself over the years?
I wouldn't be as upset if this had been a time frame of 20 to 50 years, but we're talking 8 here, these things really
are supposed to last a lifetime, and yes I feel like a fool.

I have other stories, just as bad as this ...
But that's another day, this was just the trimmer incident.

jcthorne
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Topsites,

That was a long story, but it just doesn't make sense to me. The dealer should make more money on the repair than he makes selling a single trimmer. Either the dealer doesn't care about your businesss and he doesn't have time to fool with you or he has no faith in his mechanics.

tallimeca
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
first, a guy said he likes exmark walkbeinds, but not their z's, so he buys Toro. Hahahaha. Enough Said.

The last story. Your dealer was correct about the coil warranty. You do have to pay for the labor to have it installed. However, if you are paying the labor, it should be done correctly. The thing is, as a dealer, I look out for my customer. If a trimmer comes in and needs a carb and a coil (why they failed at the same time is beyond me), i would tell them to buy a new one. Carb sells for 60-80 bucks, coil about the same, with labor.......you just bought a new trimmer with a warranty so why would you fix it.

All I can tell you is this. Most of my commercial customers could care less about lawnsite and buying parts online. They don't have the time to fiddle on the internet trying to save a few bucks on parts when they could be spending that time with their families, or golfing, or fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with it but i see so many posts about guys looking for parts and trying to fix things themselves that in the longrun, is a waste of time.

I'm a mechanic by trade obviously and I don't ever change my own brake pads and oil anymore because the few bucks I save for what they charge to do these things isn't worth my time anymore.

Granted, i'm sure there are alot of shitty dealers out there, from you guys' opinion. Just like there's alot of scum bag LCO's out there...from mine...and even your opinion.

There's nothing wrong with saving money buying things online but like another guy said, when you factor in the shipping, and time spent, it's kinda silly in MOST cases.

Some of you guys just don't get that dealerships are a business to make money, to be a cheap convenience for landscapers. If you don't like them, don't do business with them. Simple as that.

delphied
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
first, a guy said he likes exmark walkbeinds, but not their z's, so he buys Toro. Hahahaha. Enough Said.

The last story. Your dealer was correct about the coil warranty. You do have to pay for the labor to have it installed. However, if you are paying the labor, it should be done correctly. The thing is, as a dealer, I look out for my customer. If a trimmer comes in and needs a carb and a coil (why they failed at the same time is beyond me), i would tell them to buy a new one. Carb sells for 60-80 bucks, coil about the same, with labor.......you just bought a new trimmer with a warranty so why would you fix it.

All I can tell you is this. Most of my commercial customers could care less about lawnsite and buying parts online. They don't have the time to fiddle on the internet trying to save a few bucks on parts when they could be spending that time with their families, or golfing, or fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with it but i see so many posts about guys looking for parts and trying to fix things themselves that in the longrun, is a waste of time.

I'm a mechanic by trade obviously and I don't ever change my own brake pads and oil anymore because the few bucks I save for what they charge to do these things isn't worth my time anymore.

Granted, i'm sure there are alot of shitty dealers out there, from you guys' opinion. Just like there's alot of scum bag LCO's out there...from mine...and even your opinion.

There's nothing wrong with saving money buying things online but like another guy said, when you factor in the shipping, and time spent, it's kinda silly in MOST cases.

Some of you guys just don't get that dealerships are a business to make money, to be a cheap convenience for landscapers. If you don't like them, don't do business with them. Simple as that.

This sounds like the typical dealer. In my area the typical LCO is shrinking fast and so are the rates that they charge. If dealers around here still have an LCO that has a fleet of mowers that buys from him he is fortunate. Even the few big operators I see have what looks like junk on their trailers. Apparently they are getting more years on it now. If dealers can still have an arrogant attitude like this poster, more power to them.

kb9nvh
06-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Most the mechanics I see have learned on the job...I usually find it better to fix my own stuff and even if I repalce stuff that doesn't need it, its still less than a dealer repair.

Yater
06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
If a trimmer comes in and needs a carb and a coil (why they failed at the same time is beyond me), i would tell them to buy a new one. Carb sells for 60-80 bucks, coil about the same, with labor.......you just bought a new trimmer with a warranty so why would you fix it.

Why would you sell a coil to a customer when you know it's covered under warranty? I guess a warranty is only as good as the shop which honors it.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
i cant stand when my friends are big buyers with the dealer that we have around here and they give him a killer discount and treat him like he is god when he walks in there when i need somehting i am just an average person adn get the who cares feeling when i leave there so i cant even tell you how many times iv given him the money to go in there and get the things i need so i have no respect for them adn iv spent a lot of money with them so i dont know why they act the way they do but over all im happy

tallimeca
06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Why would you sell a coil to a customer when you know it's covered under warranty? I guess a warranty is only as good as the shop which honors it.

I was speaking hypothetically, not every manufacturer warranties their coils for the life of the machine. If it was under warranty, I would charge you for the carb, and labor for doing both and would make more money then the 30 bucks i make selling you a trimmer..........

tallimeca
06-30-2009, 05:30 PM
This sounds like the typical dealer. In my area the typical LCO is shrinking fast and so are the rates that they charge. If dealers around here still have an LCO that has a fleet of mowers that buys from him he is fortunate. Even the few big operators I see have what looks like junk on their trailers. Apparently they are getting more years on it now. If dealers can still have an arrogant attitude like this poster, more power to them.

What's so arrogant about stating that not all LCO's are Lawn Site crybabies and would rather pay for convenience then spend their nights and weekends trying to save a buck online? News flash but this isn't any different then the past 200 years of guys fixing their cars, tools and appliances themselves to save money. That's where the term shade tree mechanic comes from. However, there's still a bazillion auto repair and dealerships out there. No different in this industry.

Just because everyone and their brother can buy a mower and call themselves a landscaper, creating competition beyond belief in your industry, doesn't mean dealerships are doing the same thing.....it's actually opposite. Only difference is , our profit margins have shrunk making it impossible to give the discounts i'd love to give and still pay my bills.

There was a post on here recently about how a guy wasn't gonna post anymore because sites like this were making it too easy to help the competition. I agree. You guys are screwing yourselves over with all the info you guys post on here. Dog eat dog and you guys serve your selves up on a silver platter.

Then it's the equipment manufacturers and dealers fault cause things cost so much? Again, if you dont' want to pay it, then don't.

There's alot more overhead involved in running a dealership then there is driving a truck around with a trailor with a couple mowers on the back. Half of them, probably more than half haven't ever paid a cent of workers comp and anywhere close to the taxes they should be.

Keep wasting your time trying to save pennies by purchasing online, and loosing money on down time when your stuff sits at the back of the line at a dealership when it breaks because you bought it online.

Others will be enjoying the money they are making with friends and family.

After all, being in business is about making money. If you can't make money, don't do it.

Wizz
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

I don't know about that...you must get a really good deal in that case. We haven't taken any of our cars in for repair in over 15 years, I do all the repairs on our cars no matter how minor or major and it's saved our family thousands over the years. The headgasket needed replacing on my wife's Volkswagen and the cheapest repair place wanted ~$1500 for the repair, I ordered all the parts I needed for almost half the price online and it only cost me one weekend doing the repair as well as knowing it was done right and everything was torqued to spec, etc....I'll sacrafice a weekend to save $1500. Same thing with brakes, brake jobs usually run ~$500 for such a simple thing and to do a pair of brakes only takes ~1.5 hours if not less...once again not worth spending $500 for 1.5 hours of my time. .02

kaferhaus
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
While I agree many members here pay no taxes, have no payroll (or what they do is under the table) have no licenses, insurance etc. Many of us do. I have over 2 dozen eimployee's this time of year and 15-16 the rest of the year. I own a 10K sq ft building in a commercial area of town, have licenses, insurance ad nauseum.

I buy the vast majority of my consumables and replacement parts from either distributors or online retailers.

It takes only minutes to place a order... much faster than driving to the dealer. We keep consumables and wear items in stock at the shop.... very rarely is their and "emergency" that requires at trip to the dealer.

I don't "save a buck" I save over 8 thousand dollars a year. We use a case of edger blades a week... best price the dealer can give me is a buck each I buy them for 70cents each by the pallet including shipping and NO sales tax.

2 Cycle oil I buy by the drum for 16 bucks a gallon, best I can do through him on equivilent oil is 26 bucks a gallon.

The list goes on and on.

Sure you have to make a buck, I want you to stay in busines for when I need that little 2-$5 part or so.

My dealer understands why he doesn't get more of my business... he puts the "squeeze" on his suppliers for the best prices and terms why shouldn't I???

Walmart didn't get to where they're at buy selling goods at "msrp". Anyone can do that and eventually get swallowed up by them. Same is happening to the mower dealers.... big box stores are taking ever larger portions of the market.

newz7151
07-01-2009, 01:55 AM
and NO sales tax.

Walmart didn't get to where they're at buy selling goods at "msrp". Anyone can do that and eventually get swallowed up by them. Same is happening to the mower dealers.... big box stores are taking ever larger portions of the market.

Your state will be very happy to learn that you have not been paying USE TAX (which is the same % as sales tax) on the items that you are buying and consuming in your business.

So, what you are saying, is that dealers should start selling a bunch of cheaply made and cheaply sold "crap" that breaks on the person in little to no usage to where they end up having to buy another one rather than go through the hassle of trying to get something replaced past 90 days?

And, in other parts of the country, I don't mind the "shrinking LCOs" that another poster in this thread stated. If the number of "LCOs" is shrinking, it means that the number of formerly lazy or overly busy residential users mowing and maintaing their own lawns is growing, and who do you think they turn to when their mower/trimmer that they bought at the box store breaks down on them in 6 months?

Lawnsite.. ? HA HA HA..

no wonder I see "600 new posts" when I eventually get around to logging in to here now.

Alan0354
07-01-2009, 02:27 AM
I have bad experience with dealer on warrantee service.

If buying hand held, I think you save money buying online....That is if you are not hung up on one particular brand. I believe all commercial hand held are very close in quality. You can buy Kawasaki, Tanaka, Maruyama hand held on line for a lot less. YOu can use the saving to buy spare trimmer or blowers so when one break down, you can just take out the spare and take your time sending the broken one out to have it service. Or even take your chance and treat them as dispossable.

I think too many people are hung up on the brand. Really, if you read enough threads, there are people that praise every brand and there are people hate every particular brand!!!

tallimeca
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know about that...you must get a really good deal in that case. We haven't taken any of our cars in for repair in over 15 years, I do all the repairs on our cars no matter how minor or major and it's saved our family thousands over the years. The headgasket needed replacing on my wife's Volkswagen and the cheapest repair place wanted ~$1500 for the repair, I ordered all the parts I needed for almost half the price online and it only cost me one weekend doing the repair as well as knowing it was done right and everything was torqued to spec, etc....I'll sacrafice a weekend to save $1500. Same thing with brakes, brake jobs usually run ~$500 for such a simple thing and to do a pair of brakes only takes ~1.5 hours if not less...once again not worth spending $500 for 1.5 hours of my time. .02

I said oil changes and brake pads...... That's a big difference from doing a head gasket.. $500 to change a set of pads? Are they made of gold:laugh:

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Lack of competition is the problem.

Most dealers are arrogant to an extreme.

If I were three weeks behind on work....Like ALL the dealers in my area are......I would be in a panic.

We would be working 20 hour days...sleeping in the shop....whatever....just like you do when it rains.

Call my local dealer right now.

Tell him "I have a bobcat ZTR that just broke on a job"

His reply

"Drop it off...Its gonna be a couple weeks before I can look at it"

You say...

I see the problem, broken spindle.....(really fast fix)

His reply...

Got a lot of people ahead of you.....drop it off and Ill get to it when I can.

Then drive past his place.....

5:00 on the dot, closed...everyone gone.

Call any of the local dealers no matter what brand and you get the same story.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Wait until you get a shop in your area that WANTS CUSTOMERS and doesnt see every customer as an a.hole or pain in the butt.

See how quick their attitude changes.

It can be done.....I know there are some really great shops out there who really go all out for their customers.

But most.....have been around forever....and you play by THEIR rules....

newz7151
07-02-2009, 05:37 PM
We would be working 20 hour days...sleeping in the shop....whatever....just like you do when it rains.

5:00 on the dot, closed...everyone gone.

Call any of the local dealers no matter what brand and you get the same story.

Owning and operating a dealership is a job, not a life. If you are running and cutting 20 hours a day, you are living to work, not working to live. Trying to force somebody like a service tech to work 10 and 12 hour days 5 days a week only breeds more frequent mistakes and service techs that are more apt to be looking for a different place to work where they can still have a life during the year. Also, if we were so busy that I'm having to pay a large amount of overtime (that's something a legitimate business has to deal with, so half of you guys on here wouldn't know anything about that), I'd have to raise the hourly labor rate during the season to be able to cover that without going bankrupt.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
For me personally, I see no reason to buy parts form the dealers when they stock nothing, overprice the parts, and take longer to get them than myself if I order them online.

Pay less and receive faster = internet parts.

I hope my new dealer is better.

BINGO

Someone besides me finally saying this.

When I say "YOU" Im referring to the average dealer that I have ever dealt with.

How to keep a lawn contractor off the internet for parts.

STOCK THEM.

If i call you and you tell me "I have to order it" and tell me its gonna be a week because you only place your order once a week.
Then you tell me "$90 for the part PLUS SHIPPING.

I go on the internet, order the part for $50, pay half your shipping price and have it on my doorstep the next day.

Why am I going to wait a week, pay double for you when i can do it myself in a couple mouse clicks and have it the next day?

If I have a fleet of mowers.....Why are you charging me the same when I buy 50 oil filters a month vs. the guy that buys 2 a year?

I go online....Order the same oil filter you charge me $9 for, I pay $3 and have a case on my porch the next day.

Charge me $5 each....Move the product by the case and Ill buy from you.

Same with blades, filters etc.

For the lines you sell.....You should have enough parts in stock to practically build the machine.

When I come in for a belt for a ZTR.....

You reply.....We're out of stock...order is coming friday.....

Then you say "We always run out of these!"

Yes....You really say that.........You dont think "HMM, I stock 2 and send 4 people away per week.....MAYBE I should ORDER MORE???

How about when you close at 5:30 and I call you up at 5:20.

Hey...im in a jam...I need this part......Im gonna get there at 5:40

You tell me......"Well we close 5:30" So Im supposed to race like hell and hope I make it.

Drive by any dealer where you can see inside their repair shop.

Know what you see?

A couple/few guys working slower than the walmart cashier who has a line to the back of the store.

Why does a repair take you 2 hours that takes me half an hour?
Youre the PROFESSIONAL.

Watch a mechanic that literally has 15 minutes left to complete a repair.

Watch when it gets close to closing time....How many times he looks at the clock.....Watch when he has 2 bolts left to put in and that clock hits 5:30.

Bam...tools down....out the door.

How about showing you give a dam when a contractors lifeblood (machine) goes down.

Ill pay you $90 for that part that i can order online for $50.

Just have it in stock for me to pick up right now. I wont complain about your price.....It costs you money to stock parts and if you stock more than the competition.....You deserve to be paid a premium for that...

When I spend $20,000 a year with you and have 10 machine on trailers with your sticker on them.........When one of my crews shows up......I do expect you to take a quick look on the spot....And if its a quick repair.....Fix it NOW...

If that repair is normally $150 to sit in your shop for two weeks........Go ahead and charge me $200 for it.......Im losing ten times that by the machine sitting......You get me up and running....you deserve a premium and I wont complain....

But to make me:

Wait a week for a part
Pay YOUR shipping because YOU dont stock it
Pay 50% more for the part
Charge me a fortune for maintenance items
Make me wait 2 weeks for a 15 minute repair
Close your shop without a care in the world that you have customers waiting 3 weeks
Lecture me that I dont spend $15,000 on a "backup" because you cant run your business right.

And then wonder why I order online.....Fix it myself....And call 20 dealers for my next machine and buy it at the cheapest place....

Why not just stand out by the road with your middle finger up at traffic and wear a t-shirt that says "Customers suck"

Cause thats what you do when one walks in.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Owning and operating a dealership is a job, not a life. If you are running and cutting 20 hours a day, you are living to work, not working to live. Trying to force somebody like a service tech to work 10 and 12 hour days 5 days a week only breeds more frequent mistakes and service techs that are more apt to be looking for a different place to work where they can still have a life during the year. Also, if we were so busy that I'm having to pay a large amount of overtime (that's something a legitimate business has to deal with, so half of you guys on here wouldn't know anything about that), I'd have to raise the hourly labor rate during the season to be able to cover that without going bankrupt.

Why is that my problem?

You dont have enough staff and its my problem?

Hire more people.....RAISE YOUR HOURLY RATE....EVEN A LOT....

Now when I call 4 shops and they tell me "gonna be a couple weeks" and then I call you and you say "Bring it over, Ill take a quick look"

At that point I DONT CARE WHAT YOU CHARGE.

Having a machine down for 2 weeks is COSTING ME THOUSANDS.

I dont care if the guy down the road is $50 per hour and youre $80 per hour.

Ill pay an extra couple hundred bucks to make thousands.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
The reason you dont do that is just what you wrote.

Its a job.

Youre 2 weeks behind and so are all of your competitors. Its nice. You always have work in the pipeline and the customers can either wait for you or wait for someone else just as long. So you all get your share of the customers.

How many of your "loyal contractors" are gonna wait 2 weeks for you when someone down the street gets them running in hours?

This thread started by a dealer asking "Why us contractors order online vs. the local dealer"

And I told you that.

MowingMowingMowing
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Come on everyone, a dealer and an LCO are both businesses. In any business, if you can get the same piece of equipment (Kaferhouse gave many excellent examples) at a lower rate your going to buy it. This applies to LCOs AND dealers. Commen sense can tell you that if you can decrease your expenses, your profit margin will increase (rocket science I know ha).

Now both businesses can complain and complain about this and that, but at the end of the day there is no way a dealer is going to be able to convince me to buy a product from them when I can purchase it online for half the price. Now obviously if you need the part right then and there and would lose money by not working, it will be worth the extra $ to just buy from the dealer and get back to work. This tends to be the rare times I buy things from them.

One of the original posts talks of how everyone in this business is backstabbing each other. I don't think it is back stabbing, when as a business owner, you explore all your options before purchasing a part, tool, etc. THIS IS NOT BACKSTABBING, this is part of owning a business.

Finally, I'm not saying you should never buy from dealers, in fact I have a good relationship with mine, you just have to decide what is right for your business (purchasing decisions) and nobody can make that decision except you.

kaferhaus
07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Commen sense can tell you that if you can decrease your expenses, your profit margin will increase (rocket science I know ha).

Come on now, you're just a monkey grass cutter. You don't have any common sense much less business sense.

Some of these "dealers" crack me up. Such hypocrites. They're twisting their suppliers in the wind constantly trying to get better "deals", pitting one vendor against another on pricing, free shipping points and credit terms but we "low lifes" aren't supposed to play by the same rules they do.... when they do it they're "shrewd and savvy businessmen"... when we do it we're "assholes".

And I pull every dealer sticker off of every piece of equipmnet I buy, including trucks and trailers. You want me to go down the road advertising for you? Pay me for it.

MowingMowingMowing
07-02-2009, 06:44 PM
A monkey grass cutter with no business or commen sense?

Oh Kaferhaus, you crack me up. PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP ME MOTIVATED. I gotta say you caught me. I just completed my first year of college on full scholarship, 3.8 GPA, maintained my "monkey grass cutting" business 3 hours away from home consisting of 43 accounts that I've built since high school, and had a hell of a time at school. Now this sounds like someone with no business or commen sense.

While I will admit I do agree with many of your posts I think that you think you are superior to us young entrepreneurs. I just hope you don't bring this "I'm better than you" attitude to your customers.

Good luck to you.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Mowingmowing.

He was being sarcastic. Wasnt knocking you...was complimenting you...

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
As a lawn business my focus was growing my business.

I was concerned with getting customers, getting lawns cut, and getting paid. Thats where I wanted to focus my attention.

Repairs and maintenance were not my business. They only interfered with my business.

It was more important to have the equipment running and the crews productive than if I paid a few extra bucks for a part.

If I had a dealer who was providing the service I needed, so that I could concentrate on my business, I never would have gone online.

But when a crew calls needing a part, and I start calling dealers and everyone tells me a week before I can get it........Now my attention is taken away from my business.

Then I look online and see I can solve that problem overnight and not in a week. Now im interested. Then I look at the price from my dealer and its $90. I look at the online price and its $50.

Now im thinking even more.

I HAVE A PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE SOLVED. I am a grass cutting company with a broken grasscutter.

I see that I can solve that problem with a couple mouse clicks in 24 hours and half the price.

I see my dealer can solve that problem in a week or two for double the price......

COME ON......

How about....

Stock the part..........

When my crew calls me and says they have a dead machine...

I call you.....You say...."Got it here come get it"

Done deal...

Im back to working on my business doing what I should be doing.

My problem is solved.

I didnt ask you how much it was........I dont care that its more money than I can get it online.

Getting the part online for half the price in 24 hours is better than waiting a week for you to get it.

But to pay you an extra $40 to have that part NOW and get my machine back to production is WORTH FAR MORE than waiting the 24 hours.

That machine is going to make me more than $40 if I can get it back running now to finish the day.

Dealers have it backwards.

barlowlawncare
07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
It's a dog eat dog world! The dealers in my area suck! the only work they get done is their warranty work everything else takes forever! Yeah I know your busy but so am I, and when you have one of my ztr's for over a week what do you think that's doing to me? The dealers around here could care less! A loner? yeah right! They don't have them, trust me I asked! And just for you exmark owners read your manuels cause your supposed to tighten the back ctr lugs on the rear wheels after so many hrs because they become loose and strip everything out! That's part of normal maint?? let me just pull that 2 and 1/2 inch socket out of my back pocket no problem everyone has one of them? I must say though my dealer did find a way to get it covered under warranty it just took almost two weeks for the parts which to me is unexceptable on a mower that is one season old?

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
How come as a contractor with Bobcat mowers, I stocked more parts that the Bobcat dealer?

Usually this excuse..

"We only sell a couple of those parts a year, its not worth keeping in stock"

Now...How many thousands of dollars and potential customers does that statement cost them?

Lets see

My machine breaks....Not a popular part that most places would stock.

I call my regular dealer....he has to order it......Then I call you and you say "Come get it"

Machine breaks again....Another not popular part.

I call my usual regular dealer....he has to order it.....I call you....."Come get it"

How many times will that happen before I start calling you FIRST for everything?

I keep calling my regular dealer and he always has to order it, but I keep calling you and you have it.....Pretty soon Im going to save myself a phone call....

Now just by having some unpopular parts in stock, you have picked up a very big account. Now Im calling you for all my parts. I dont even bother calling my regular dealer anymore.

Now you have my parts business. i dont bother calling anyone else. If I call you and you dont have it in stock, I already know that nobody has it in stock so Ill order it from you.

When I order that part from you......You order two....One for me....and one for your stock so you make sure it doesnt happen again.

Now that you have my parts business........My crew calls to say the machine broke in the morning.....

I automatically call you, since I call you all the time for parts....

You run your business in such a way that you are able to say....."Have your crew stop over and Ill look at it"

Im on the other end of the phone with my jaw on the ground......

"You mean look at it in two weeks?"

You reply......."No, have them come by and Ill look at it now"

You fix my machine, I dont even look at the bill, just give you my credit card over the phone......My problem is solved...

Machine breaks again.....Same thing.....

Now you also tell me:

"Joe...I ask that you be honest with me. If you can spare a machine for a little bit, please tell me. If you really NEED IT NOW, tell me that too so I can give all my big customers that service."

I respect that. I dont want to become a PITA for this guy. So Im not going to cry wolf and make every repair an emergency. If I have a spare, I tell him. He still gets the machine back to me quick, but doesnt have to drop everything.

Now he has my service business.

Now it comes time for a new machine.

I go to his place and buy it. I dont negotiate the price.....You know why????

He values me as a customer and doesnt want to lose the business Im bringing him.

He is going to, on his own, sell me the machine at a price that I dont find out a month later was a ton more than I could have bought it somewhere else.

I buy that ZTR from him.

A month later I see that I paid him $500 more than I could have bought that machine from somewhere else.

I say to myself.......THE DARN GUY DESERVES IT....

Its that simple.

I care about making money. You work with me and keep me making money and you make money too.

As long as Im making money.....And youre my partner in that.....You deserve to make it.

Keep my machine for 3 weeks and youre COSTING ME MONEY.

Now I question why Im paying you a premium.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Its funny.

As a lawn guy.

Tell your customer the price for their lawn is $30. They agree and sign up for weekly service.

Then tell them.....I can do it for $25, but i dont know when I can cut it, how often I can cut it, or if I can cut it at all but if I do cut it, you gotta pay me on the spot.

Who is going for the $25 service?

Wizz
07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I said oil changes and brake pads...... That's a big difference from doing a head gasket.. $500 to change a set of pads? Are they made of gold:laugh:

I gotcha...keep in mind I wasn't knocking you in any way. Just in my experience when you go to get a brake job they end up 'trying' to quote you ~$500 in the end...they charge you double for the pads, then they charge you for turning the rotors (if they actually do or not is a different story), bleeding the system/fluid even if it doesn't need it, and then they always seem to try to say you need new lines even if they're in good condition. .02

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I gotcha...keep in mind I wasn't knocking you in any way. Just in my experience when you go to get a brake job they end up 'trying' to quote you ~$500 in the end...they charge you double for the pads, then they charge you for turning the rotors (if they actually do or not is a different story), bleeding the system/fluid even if it doesn't need it, and then they always seem to try to say you need new lines even if they're in good condition. .02

Im having a discussion thats related to this on another thread.

Trust is a big issue.

In my opinion, there is so much honest work out there if you provide good service, that there is no reason to try and sell someone something they dont need.

lawnprosteveo
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I am at wits end with most contractors out there. I work for a dealer in the panhandle of Florida, I cant understand why you guys, run so many different brands of product. Almost all of your upper echelon mower makers make incredible products. so why buy a scag from 1 a hustler from another and a toro from yet another. why not buy from the dealer you like doing business with? I manage the parts department and you can bet I reward the guys that are loyal, that goes for service as well. I take pride in pricing to keep you off the internet but I guess its a losing battle!Im loyal to my dealer. I buy pretty much everything from him. Mostly because hes always treated me fairly, almost always has what I need. And when I need something repaired thats over my head...he has done it in reasonable time and for a decent price. I have only bought equipment that he deals in parts so I can continue using him...maybe Im an oddball.

PROCUT1
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Im loyal to my dealer. I buy pretty much everything from him. Mostly because hes always treated me fairly, almost always has what I need. And when I need something repaired thats over my head...he has done it in reasonable time and for a decent price. I have only bought equipment that he deals in parts so I can continue using him...maybe Im an oddball.

What you just said is the way it should be.

Unfortunately I have never found a dealer like that even though it seems so simple.

And reading the feedback anytime a dealer thread comes up on here, it seems there are far more lousy dealers than great ones.

barlowlawncare
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
What you just said is the way it should be.

Unfortunately I have never found a dealer like that even though it seems so simple.

And reading the feedback anytime a dealer thread comes up on here, it seems there are far more lousy dealers than great ones.

I agree I keep looking for a dealer that will be the way they all should but it seems like they dont want to be bothered, now some of the employees at different places are really on their game and are a pleasure to deal with but as for the owners/management very impersonnel at some places i walk in the door and no one waits on me for 20mins or more sometimes I turn around and leave, they don't know me i could be there to spend 15k on a new ztr or 300 on a trimmer they just don't know and don't care. I was gonna buy a new stihl trimmer for the same dealer I purchased my xmark last year and have been there prob 10 times since and I walked in and stood there looking at the trimmers for 30mins and no one said a word to me, so I went to another dealer out of my way and bought a redmax I had 400 cash and plopped down 350.oo for the redmax but that dealer wasnt any better it was just the fact that i was the only one there he almost looked as if he was going out of business but I got waited on and that was all I wanted and someone to ask a few questions about the product

newz7151
07-03-2009, 03:37 AM
I was gonna buy a new stihl trimmer for the same dealer I purchased my xmark last year and have been there prob 10 times since and I walked in and stood there looking at the trimmers for 30mins and no one said a word to me,

Maybe they figured you were a lawn care guy and knew your trimmers and what you were looking for, and that if you had a question, you would ask somebody. If one of our regular larger guys came in and was standing in front of a display of trimmers, and I walked up to him and asked him if he was looking for a new trimmer, do you know how stupid that would sound? The guy buys the things, he USED to run the things (before he grew to crews), he knows what he needs, if it's there on the rack, he'll pick it up, if it's not, he'll ask.

How are we supposed to know if somebody is there to buy or just browsing? I put as much pertinent information on a tag on the equipment as possible so that I'm not interrupting somebody's thought process while they are looking at something. It irritates me personally to go in somewhere for something and have 5 different people ask me if there's something they can help me with... if a person HAS a question, they should/would ask it. Just be near enough and have the knowledge to answer that question when it's asked. That doesn't mean stand over somebody and watch them like a hawk or jump on them no more than they walk through the door.

greenred
07-03-2009, 06:36 AM
For the most part the dealers I have dealt with are goofballs and most of the staff tend to be goofballs. But to be fair I think the majority of people are goofballs.

I have never had a dealer do anything that would prompt me to feel any loyalty to them. Most of the time dealing with the dealers and their sales staff I felt like just another mark, and when dealing with their parts guys and mechanics I felt like just another inconvenience to them.

One dealer just drove me away. I needed a new 21inch mower that day. I walked into a dealer that I had bought quite a few pieces of equipment from and told the salesman what mower I wanted. I did not even haggle I needed the mower and was ready to pay their list price. After he rung me up, something seemed off. They had charged 12 dollars more then the price on the tag. I asked why - Oh says the sales man thats our handling fee. I was pissed. I explained to him that there was no way I am paying any asinine fee like that. I felt generous enough paying their list price and told that to the salesman. I also explained to him he could remove the 12 dollar fee and sell the mower or lose the sale. After talking to the big man he removed the 12 dollar fee. I was so peeved I never bought another piece of equipment from them. I still dealt with the parts side of the business. They started carrying Gator Magnum trimmer line. I initially bought some then went back to buy more and they were out. They told me to come back in a week. So I come back and they are still out. Oh they said we tend to sell out of it real fast because the state comes in and buys all we have. So instead of doing the logical thing and adjusting their stocking level to the demand, they just left their other customers hanging. I was forced to order online. When they tried to charge me 30 bucks a BLADE for new blades for one of my mowers, that was the icing on the cake. I never went back. They went tits up about 6 months later.

There is one dealer in town I like dealing with. He has always been fair to me and even when I was just a kid he took me seriously - which always kept me coming back to buy more equipment from him. Problem is he doesnt have the best business model and has lost a few good brands, including the brand of equipment I was coming to him for to other dealers in town. I think the only thing that keeps him afloat now is the repair side of the business.

I could go on with the bad experiences I have had with other dealers too but whats the point.

I can say nothing that has been said in this thread has made me feel like I should be any more loyal to my dealers.

barlowlawncare
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe they figured you were a lawn care guy and knew your trimmers and what you were looking for, and that if you had a question, you would ask somebody. If one of our regular larger guys came in and was standing in front of a display of trimmers, and I walked up to him and asked him if he was looking for a new trimmer, do you know how stupid that would sound? The guy buys the things, he USED to run the things (before he grew to crews), he knows what he needs, if it's there on the rack, he'll pick it up, if it's not, he'll ask.

How are we supposed to know if somebody is there to buy or just browsing? I put as much pertinent information on a tag on the equipment as possible so that I'm not interrupting somebody's thought process while they are looking at something. It irritates me personally to go in somewhere for something and have 5 different people ask me if there's something they can help me with... if a person HAS a question, they should/would ask it. Just be near enough and have the knowledge to answer that question when it's asked. That doesn't mean stand over somebody and watch them like a hawk or jump on them no more than they walk through the door.

the way you would know is to ask if you can help you don't let someone stand there for a half hour looking at the wall looking at you looking at the wall then looking back up at you! you guys are always to busy doing nothing and joking arnd kidding arnd with eachother to bother with the equiptment yeah maybe bigger guys do know what they want but i didnt! We use all redmax and I was at a stihl dealer??? I was thinking on switching. This is my point just plain ignorant even with your tone in the way you respond! Dealers can be that way I don't care I have a computer and am just as comfortable buying online and putting them outta business! I dont know what you consider big but we arent really that small either we have about 65 weekly acounts and 30 bi weekly accts if that is too small for you sorry! We run two exmark 60" ztr's a 48" wright stander a 36" xmark WB 4 redmax trimmers, two redmax backpack blowers and various other equiptment I guess that is considered to small for a dealership?

tallimeca
07-04-2009, 12:24 PM
some of you kill me:walking: walking contradictions.....

Go ahead and buy everything online and put the dealers out of business, then let's start a thread when that happens and you all found something new to whine about........

I can see the treads now...

"Shipped my trimmer out 2 months ago, still don't have it back"

And it cost me $100 to ship it. Should have just ordered another one online.

"My Z has been down for a month. $500 dollars round trip freight to send out of service to boot"

*trucewhiteflag*

barlowlawncare
07-04-2009, 01:05 PM
maybe if dealers started doing business a little better it wouldnt be this way?? I get better service at walmart and homedepot. Trust me I would much rather give my business to the local shops and help an american small business just like myself, but I refuse to be treated the way most dealers treat you, I don't treat my customers like that and don't expect to be treated like that! If I treated my customers the same way I get treated at the dealers I would have no account. Sometimes my customers say stupid things or have rediculous requests but I don't get cocky with them or try and make them feel like an idiot for asking the question, I simply answer it! I don't like arrogant ppl and it seems most dealers are very arrogant it's unprofessional. Weve been in business for ten years now, and didnt do it by bieng ignorant to our customers, so you keep that attitude and snippy comments see how far it gets ya, either way ill keep doin my thing

kaferhaus
07-04-2009, 01:29 PM
some of you kill me walking contradictions.....

with your attitude.... you could be the poster child for the dealer NOT to do business with.

dishboy
07-04-2009, 04:30 PM
some of you kill me:walking: walking contradictions.....

Go ahead and buy everything online and put the dealers out of business, then let's start a thread when that happens and you all found something new to whine about........

I can see the treads now...

"Shipped my trimmer out 2 months ago, still don't have it back"

And it cost me $100 to ship it. Should have just ordered another one online.

"My Z has been down for a month. $500 dollars round trip freight to send out of service to boot"

*trucewhiteflag*

Since I am capable of doing 100% of my own repairs adapting to no local dealers would only increase my competitive advantage as I am not dependent on slow service, high prices, and incompetent mechanics. Not the response you were looking for is it?

juspayme
09-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Since I am capable of doing 100% of my own repairs adapting to no local dealers would only increase my competitive advantage as I am not dependent on slow service, high prices, and incompetent mechanics. Not the response you were looking for is it?

i agree, i just took my 2 month old exmark and waited 6 weeks to get it back. yes i said 6. i dunno anymore.

Alan0354
09-21-2009, 03:56 AM
For hand held, it is a lot easier. If you have a good dealer, stay with them. If not, check out online store. Try not to be brand particular. You can get Kawasaki, Tanaka, Maruyama etc. Cheaper and you can affort to buy spare to eliminate down time. Then take your time to send it out or trouble shoot yourself.

Do your research on the big ticket item before you buy. Find out where the warrante center is beside dealers.

I bought direct from Mantis, they have the best support I ever have. The gear box jammed 8 months after I recieved it. I called them, they immediately send a new gear box out and I recieved in 5 days. I swap the old one out and they arranged to pick it up a few days later. I didn't pay for any shipment, hack, I didn't even have to get out of the house!!! Try topping this kind of service. Check buying direct on the large ticket items and what is their warrante service.

Too many people here are more than happy to support the dealer NO MATTER WHAT. There are enough dealers here to keep re-enforce the believe that you have to buy it from the dealer to get service. Problem is it cost you an arm and a leg to get service. You buy a trimmer for $350, two services of $100 each during the life time. This total $550. You can get two Kawasaki trimmers for less than that!!!! You have to think outside the box. Research into online or buy factory direct service, you might get lucky.

As I said, if you have a good dealer, stay with them, you are lucky. If not, stop supporting them, find other ways. I am so tired of hearing dealer keep blaming it's all your fault and give you lame story why things are not covered under warrante.