PDA

View Full Version : Mowing properties with out of state owners

JeffNY
06-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I have one rental property I mow where the owner lives out of state, I set it up where I just mail him the bill at the month. I just picked up another rental property with the same thing, owner is out of state. Both these properties have 'Take Notice' signs on the doors, I guess that means they're condemmed. Makes me a little nervous about getting the money.

Any tips, or suggestions for dealing with OOS customers?

Thanks.

bohiaa
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
nothing wrong with it, you did get them to sgin a contract didn't you?

if you didn't it will be impossable to collect if they dont pay

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
We have a dozen or so of them. They pay with credit cards.

JeffNY
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
They both will have contracts, I've only got one mow into one place so far

CrewKut
06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
How about a signed contract and advanced payment. If you don't receive next months payment, then you don't cut.

Short of those two things, you really don't have any reasonable assurance that you will ever be paid. Chasing your money from an OOS customer on a condemned property after the fact would be counter productive.

Dan

mnglocker
06-18-2009, 09:18 AM
How about a signed contract and advanced payment. If you don't receive next months payment, then you don't cut.

Short of those two things, you really don't have any reasonable assurance that you will ever be paid. Chasing your money from an OOS customer on a condemned property after the fact would be counter productive.

Dan

That's my favorite right there. I've got 2 accounts setup as prepay the month or no-mow.

LBLC_LCO
06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
That's my favorite right there. I've got 2 accounts setup as prepay the month or no-mow.

Same here, I have a few that are out of state and they are all prepay. One of them just does a weekly autopay from their bank account, works out good, every week I get a check the day before I mow the property. I will never do an out of state without prepayment.

freshprince94
06-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I do three rentals where the owner lives out of state. I don't usually have a problem getting paid. Sometimes the tenant's are hard to deal with but oh well, it's decent money.

topsites
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I hear you guys, I'd have to say OOS'ers are the largest piece out of the whole deadbeat cake.
Now I usually do an address verification, once I have that we can proceed.

Worst case scenario you can always do per service, but I definitely advise some caution with OOS'ers.

clipperslawnservice
06-19-2009, 12:16 AM
i have one , has payed in advance since day one.

bohiaa
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
most commerical accounts are located in another state Just recived a check from Frito lay. it's in New Castle DE.