PDA

View Full Version : Scolded by customer because of edging!!

Icepuck72
06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
One of my customers doesn't like when I edge the sidewalks, driveway, and flower beds....She said just trim flat around it...she actually said she likes it when it grows over the edge.

Wow....first time for everything I suppose. ;)

Hank3rd
06-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I wonder, at what point would the customer want it edged? It could get kinda messy!

supercuts
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
i think many of you would be surprised if you stopped edging all togther, how few of your customers would even notice or complain. im not saying you should, but this is a business and you need to find the best balance of efficientcy and quality of work. if you can shave 5mins off a lawn and do 20+ a day, think how many more a day you can do and much a month more that is $$. we do a thorough job but for you solo guys, you could save time here and there and never hear a complaint

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I do a corner lot that has what seems like a mile of edge to trim. I started out trimming the edge every week then quickly realized I didn't need to because the customer said I didn't have to bother. Now I do it 1 time a month or every 4th cut.

Icepuck72
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I disagree...I've had a lot of my customers comment on edging. They always comment on how clean and crisp the lawns look when I finish with it. I just feel like the lawn isn't complete until everything is edged...I guess I'm anal when it comes to that stuff, regardless of how long it takes.

Of course I will do what the customer says in this case....it just looks crappy, IMHO. And if it looks crappy to me, I think it may look crappy to 90% of everyone else.

Whitey4
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I use a stick trimmer for my edging, and edging almost by itself has gotten me new accounts. I've read folks here who swear they can edge with a line trimmer as well a what a stick trimmer can do, but I've seen far too many "trenches" created by line trimmers to buy into that.
i'm happy that some even most lco's around here use line trimmers... screw up once, it's a trench... and I may get a new customer.