PDA

View Full Version : Whats the proper base for an asphalt driveway?

Right Touch
06-18-2009, 08:23 AM
We are doing a retaining wall project where we are extending the existing driveway. The home owner wants to do asphalt for now (hopefully pavers down the line) so we are just going to install the base for the driveway behind our retaining wall. Generally we backfill retaining wall with 3/4" clean stone. Would we do the same in this situation? and how many inches below the existing driveway should we leave the final height? the first picture is the back end we are extending- its about 14x16 and the second picture is the left side- thats about 3-4' wider than the existing driveway.

Right Touch
06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
woops loaded the pics opposite- you guys can figure it out. the faint orange marks are the proposed new driveway marked by the homeowner prior to our meeting.

Top Dog Pavers
06-19-2009, 11:48 PM
excavate to 6". 4" RCA base & 2" asphalt

Bru75
06-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Who's doing the pavement? I'd start by talking to them, good asphalt contractors are VERY picky about the base. They might want to install the base themselves as you build the wall.

Isobel
06-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I also would find out who's doing the asphalt and talk to them first. I know from experience I wouldn't want someone else laying a base to any work I'm doing.

JDeere
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Let your contractor handle this.

Generally speaking, 6" to 8" of compacted aggregate (3/4" with fines). Heavier base rock is probably not needed for your subdivision application.