PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Looking Commercial Z Brands....

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Interesting topic, curious to see you guys take on this. Not trying to insult any brand, but...... my list, from best to worst looking when new:

1.) Exmark- Dig the red/gray/white color scheme.
2.) Scag - Like the build of the machine, "Cats Eye Gold" is also a nice color.
3.) JD - Cool JD green, build to me is not as appealing as Scag or Exmark.
4.) Kubota- Nice deep orange, but rather the industrial look of the above.
5.) Hustler- Yellow scheme OK, but grey/chrome wheels clash, build OK.
6.) Toro - scheme similar to Exmark, build not as attractive.
7.) Snapper - Poor lil Snapper, cute, just doesnt look as tough as the rest.
8.) Bad Boy - Dont care for the stick or floorboard looks. Logo either.
9.) Grasshopper - Ugly Brown/Tan scheme about on par with BB for looks.
10.) Dixie Chopper - Come on, this thing is f*%$n UGLY!! Ugly duckling of the commercial ZTR universe.....

Agree/Disagree?? :usflag:

ALC-GregH
06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
who cares? As long as it cuts well it's all irrelevant.

Hawg City Lawns
06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
walker is the funniest looking mower
everride and husqvarna have the goofy looking triangle frame
encore has dumb cheap looking sticks
country clipper has no sticks if you get the joystick model and looks down right weird
gravely and dixon have a conservative look

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
who cares? As long as it cuts well it's all irrelevant.

For a commercial operator possibly, but for a homeowner who takes pride in his machine, whats wrong with discussing it? They ALL cut good IMO-- lets be real here-- most of the differences in cut quality, speed, etc. discussed here are just splitting hairs anyway when discussing commercial machines.

Is this a taboo subject or something here? LOL :rolleyes:

kaferhaus
06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Not taboo, but this is a commercial forum. We don't give a rats behind what color it is or anything about "styling". The only color I see in a piece of grounds care equipment is the color of money.

Maybe if you're 12 that's a buying decision.

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Forgot about Gravely somehow....fixed.

1.) Exmark- Dig the red/gray/white color scheme.
2.) Scag - Like the build of the machine, "Cats Eye Gold" is also a nice color.
3.) JD - Cool JD green, build to me is not as appealing as Scag or Exmark.
4.) Kubota- Nice deep orange, but rather the industrial look of the above.
5.) Hustler- Yellow scheme OK, but grey/chrome wheels clash, build OK.
6.) Gravely - I actually like the design and no-nonsense scheme of Gravelys.
7.) Toro - scheme similar to Exmark, build not as attractive.
8.) Snapper - Poor lil Snapper, cute, just doesnt look as tough as the rest.
9.) Bad Boy - Dont care for the stick or floorboard looks. Logo either.
10.) Grasshopper - Ugly Brown/Tan scheme about on par with BB for looks.
11.) Dixie Chopper - Come on, this thing is f*%$n UGLY!! Ugly duckling of the commercial ZTR universe.....

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Not taboo, but this is a commercial forum. We don't give a rats behind what color it is or anything about "styling". The only color I see in a piece of grounds care equipment is the color of money. Maybe if your 12 thats a buying decision.

Im 100% certain not everyone here is a professional landscaper, so I disagree with you about that. Oh well, so much for what could have been an entertaining thread. Oh and thanks for the insult. Carry on.

VelociRaptor
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Homeowner here, Kubota's orange and features sell me.....but then again Im a Kubota fan so its gotta match my 4900 Kubota tractorlol.

Exmarks.The.Spot
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I would say that Exmark is top then prolly toro. They are both by Toro so they are the same.

kb9nvh
06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I like the Exmarks the best..
The SCAGS look pretty impressive also especially the more expensive ones.
Chopper is so ugly its pretty again.
BB looks like it was built from standard parts and is pretty ugly also (but I'm still getting one).

Ferris looks like a ferarri but also looks and feels to me like it would break soon or be squeaking like rusty doorhinge (not that it would but it makes me think that).

Im 100% certain not everyone here is a professional landscaper, so I disagree with you about that. Oh well, so much for what could have been an entertaining thread. Oh and thanks for the insult. Carry on.

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I like the Exmarks the best..
The SCAGS look pretty impressive also especially the more expensive ones.
Chopper is so ugly its pretty again.
BB looks like it was built from standard parts and is pretty ugly also (but I'm still getting one).

Ferris looks like a ferarri but also looks and feels to me like it would break soon or be squeaking like rusty doorhinge (not that it would but it makes me think that).

Good post. :) BTW, whats the story on your Tiger Cub? What kind of engine did you have and what , if anything, did Scag offer to you in terms of repair/reimbursement?

astrohip
06-18-2009, 01:09 PM
The Bad Boy name is a little odd to me. I know the point they're making, but when you tell people you have a Bad Boy, they look at you a little funny. Those of us who know them don't think twice, but people who don't know shyte about equipment (friends, relatives, etc), always look funny when I say I have a Bad Boy mower.

My wife and I have started calling it Hank. :dancing:

PS: Oh yeah, this thread was about looks. It looks like it was built as a tank, function before beauty. I love it!

mhussey
06-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Can't forget about a Hustler Super Z.

Exmark/Toro
Huslter
Scag
Ferris

ohanyan1
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
In my opinion, Toro makes the best looking mowers.

The black Toro gas tanks > gray Exmark tanks.

Toro = Deeper red color > Exmark = More of an orange red

Beautiful machines.

Just one man's opinion though.

soloscaperman
06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
omg same list I had in my head, the last two I think not sure which one I can't stand looking at it looks like it was made in the late 70's or early 80's I wouldn't use it if it was free im sorry. I saw this brown one from far away and it looked like a square turd on wheels that was designed with a t- square!!!

scagmanjosh
06-18-2009, 03:13 PM
The Bad Boy name is a little odd to me. I know the point they're making, but when you tell people you have a Bad Boy, they look at you a little funny. Those of us who know them don't think twice, but people who don't know shyte about equipment (friends, relatives, etc), always look funny when I say I have a Bad Boy mower.

My wife and I have started calling it Hank. :dancing:

PS: Oh yeah, this thread was about looks. It looks like it was built as a tank, function before beauty. I love it!

Funny post, I was thinking the same thing about the Bad Boy name. Can't say the Scag name on my mower is much better-- it means "heroine cigarette" LOL.

Like I said in my first post-- this thread is for fun, not to fanboy one mower or dog another. Im sure that Bad Boy of yours is a great machine. Same goes for the Chopper. Chopper aint winning no beauty contest though, thats all Im sayin'.:)

TheUfan
06-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Buddy, most people here are professionals but some are not professional. ya dig? i like the post, its light and friendly. Like a boxed wine. theres nothing wrong with it even if its out of the norm.

tacoma200
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
It's not 100% accurate but I do see a similarity in streamline build and quality in many products. Most of your more reliable auto's have very well thought out overall design with tight tolerances even in the non functional parts such as fenders. So to some extent the look/exterior of the ZTR tells me if the engineers/designers were high tech or machine shop. I must say that often models that look like they came out of a machine shop are functional though. I know when watching such shows as Orange County Choppers (or similar shows) that guys that put things together on intuition or by the seat of their pants often run into problems that have to be addressed because it was not thought out before hand. Such as the steering hitting the side of the gas tank so they had to cut on the gas tank. I think Exmark/Toro have some of the most advanced engineering/design skills. And John Deere with all their money have made some impressive looking machines including the only stamped 7 gauge deck (but failed to do enough research in the field on items like the integrated pump). If you go to watch video's of the Scag plant they are very high tech and use some of the best components in area's that would not be obvious to the average person looking at one. I like the design but it's a bit more dated. Bad Boy and Dixie fall into the later for me. Very functional but have the machine shop look about them, and I can remember such things as the seat rubbed on some models because it wasn't planned out very well. But over all they get the job done and they are built from a different vantage point. In fact I'm impressed by the components and toughness of build of the Dixie and Bad Boy, just not as much the finished product.

I have noticed a trend, guys that have one or two ZTR's care more about looks and the guys making money (running fleets, multiple crews) get the ones that get the job done and long term cost is is lowest. I think that is why Bobcat, small diesel Grasshoppers, etc and other models with low cost in the long run are gaining in popularity. My buddy from New York is impressed by how far he can ride a wheelie (gotta throw that in there, hah):):)

It wouldn't make sense to the fleet owner to have a bunch of 30+ hp ZTR's with a high initial cost and operating cost when you could get the same job done with lower priced, lower powered models from company's that have solid track records.

I am often affected by wanting to have more power, and the overall build and looks of a ZTR but that isn't good business sense really for someone that runs a large business. I'm just rambling but I do think the solo operator is more influenced by looks and large engines.

kb9nvh
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL, dont get me started..

I had the KAW 19, and SCAG offered to sell me a new tiget "cat" equivalent for 6200 + tx. Probably a $800 savings over normal price. Since I have $1000 deductable, that was a non-offer to me. The only "non out of pocket" settlement for me would have been if they sold me one for $4556 including tax.

So now my insurance will pay "replacement value" minus 1K deductable so I get $7350 from my insurance and have to spend 1K more to get that for a total mower price of 8350 or so.

Good post. :) BTW, whats the story on your Tiger Cub? What kind of engine did you have and what , if anything, did Scag offer to you in terms of repair/reimbursement?

johnnybravo8802
06-18-2009, 04:51 PM
The worst: Dixie Chopper, Dixon, and BB.

djflats
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm just a homeowner and have a 2004 CC TANK M48. Not real pretty but it cuts good. Only a 19 Kawasaki though. A bit under-powered for me but that's what it came with in '04. I've been using an Exmark at work lately and like it. I'm looking at Exmarks and Hustlers and may be getting one of the 2 sometime...hopefully.
Exmark
Toro
Hustler
Gravely
Scag
Hell...I like them all! :dizzy:

scagmanjosh
06-19-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm just a homeowner and have a 2004 CC TANK M48. Not real pretty but it cuts good. Only a 19 Kawasaki though. A bit under-powered for me but that's what it came with in '04. I've been using an Exmark at work lately and like it. I'm looking at Exmarks and Hustlers and may be getting one of the 2 sometime...hopefully.
Exmark
Toro
Hustler
Gravely
Scag
Hell...I like them all! :dizzy:

Forgot about Cub Cadets and Ferris. Theres so many! Ive seen the Tanks at a local dealer and thought they looked good and very solid. Love the name of those too, perfect description. Had there been a closer CC dealership I would have looked at these a lot closer. The promotional price on the '08 Tiger Cubs was the deal maker for me though. Got the last one in the state as far as I know.

I dont mind the B&S 26. I made sure it had the new style air filter (which looks very good by the way) before I laid down the $$$. Im VERY impressed with the power and smoothness of the 26 ELS. I know its not a true commercial grade engine in the sense that its not a Vanguard and doesnt have the 2 stage external air filter system, but the way I take care of my equipment I doubt if it gives me trouble anytime soon. It is basically Briggs top of the line engine outside Vanguard after all. I cut 2 acres with a lot of trees, fences, a shop, a storage building, and my house. Takes about 1.5 to cut whereas my Craftman 42" w/ Kohler Command 16 (great engine BTW) used to take 3 to 3.5 depending on how long I waited between cuts and rainfall. At ~25 cuts a year at 1.5hrs, it'll take me 11 years to accumulate 400 hrs, so I doubt the BS gives me trouble in that regard.

retrodog
06-19-2009, 01:29 AM
I think the BB has to be the "coolest" looking mower in the market...by far. Everyone around here gets the spoilers, coolest thing to see an orange trailer go by with three spoilers sticking up with all stihl equipment. We took them to a local car show in town and dressed one of them up in real chrome wheels (not the hub cap crap), and got tons of publicity off of them. I can't tell you how many pics were snapped. We entered the one in the special interest category, but the biggest four wheeler in the world (as of 08 anyways) won :(....lol.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-19-2009, 01:35 AM
i think badboy looooks like a realy big orange turd! with square corners not round like a normal turd!@*&*&^^$%$&

haha i like nosparkplugs mower his was a good looking mower now it is just plain dirty! mine is just as bad though. if ya didnt know it is a badboy maybe he can post some pics of that mower!

tacoma200
06-19-2009, 01:44 AM
i think badboy looooks like a realy big orange turd! with square corners not round like a normal turd!@*&*&^^$%$&

!

Don't hold back. You really need to be more forthright. :laugh:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-19-2009, 01:46 AM
What about Dixon (here come the pies being thrown at me, look out!)

HISnHERS
06-19-2009, 02:34 AM
Or the GIZMOW!!! Yes, I have one and love it!

Ford850
06-19-2009, 06:54 AM
I agree the original list is close. Dixie, Grasshopper and BB round out the bottom. Dixie is obvoius. BB looks like a rough low tech engineer job that they tried to make purdy with bright paint, a tough name and image, a spoiler and other garbage. And Grasshopper, well brown and tan are as drab as it gets. I have a GH and love how it functions. I don't mind that it is not flashy and that it blends in while I mow. Or maybe I keep telling myself that to make up for its bad looks. But seriously they are a tool not a status symbol. They need to be dependable, function great, and give a super cut.

DaddyRabbit
06-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Ohhh Kay, the fact that Ferris wasn't even on the list tells me that the list has zero validity or was made up by a hater. Regardless, I love the way the Ferris looks w/the shocks on the back and the chrome spoiler package on the Bad Boys.

kb9nvh
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I think I mentioned Ferris in my post up top....Looks like a race car Ferrari and probably the flashiest...the one I drove worried me about how long it would remain squeak free....I think the 2 yr old one I drove was squeaking pretty good. Looks is up there with exmark....trust is down there with ah the SCAG widowmaker... LOL *just kidding SCAGies*

Ohhh Kay, the fact that Ferris wasn't even on the list tells me that the list has zero validity or was made up by a hater. Regardless, I love the way the Ferris looks w/the shocks on the back and the chrome spoiler package on the Bad Boys.

DaddyRabbit
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
What on the Ferris was squeaking?

I think I mentioned Ferris in my post up top....Looks like a race car Ferrari and probably the flashiest...the one I drove worried me about how long it would remain squeak free....I think the 2 yr old one I drove was squeaking pretty good. Looks is up there with exmark....trust is down there with ah the SCAG widowmaker... LOL *just kidding SCAGies*

bighaydenslawn
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Beautiful - Exmark, Scag, Toro, Wright

Pretty Nice - Deere, Grasshopper, Ferris

OK - Hustler, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Commercial, Walker

Pretty Plain - Gravely, Dixon, Encore

Ugly - Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy

Just my Opinion, my favorite color is probably cat's eye gold!

Would love to get a Tiger Cub or Wildcat in the next few years.

topsites
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
For a commercial operator possibly, but for a homeowner who takes pride in his machine, whats wrong with discussing it? They ALL cut good IMO-- lets be real here-- most of the differences in cut quality, speed, etc. discussed here are just splitting hairs anyway when discussing commercial machines.

Is this a taboo subject or something here? LOL :rolleyes:

Not really but I also don't care about the looks lol, that is, until I see one with the ROPS folded or removed,
that bugs me but since we're on the subject of homeowners it bugs me far worse to see children riding on the machine,
unfortunately I have little choice with my points of view so, and cruel and cold as it may sound but it's not my problem,
life goes on until we read the article in the paper.

The only other thing that astounds me along these lines is the general disrespect folks have towards these 1500 pound machines,
I guess I'm fortunate in this regard since I started out disrespecting a smaller 500 pound lawn mower after which I got into it
several times with my newer 300 pound ones, by the time I got the Ztr I didn't have to be told, I knew: This thing will kill you.

Oh crap I almost forgot...
[/rant] :p

scagmanjosh
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Not really but I also don't care about the looks lol, that is, until I see one with the ROPS folded or removed,
that bugs me but since we're on the subject of homeowners it bugs me far worse to see children riding on the machine,
unfortunately I have little choice with my points of view so, and cruel and cold as it may sound but it's not my problem,
life goes on until we read the article in the paper.

The only other thing that astounds me along these lines is the general disrespect folks have towards these 1500 pound machines,
I guess I'm fortunate in this regard since I started out disrespecting a smaller 500 pound lawn mower after which I got into it
several times with my newer 300 pound ones, by the time I got the Ztr I didn't have to be told, I knew: This thing will kill you.

Oh crap I almost forgot...

Funny you mention the ROPS thing, I agree they look funny without them. They are a pain with low branches, but hey that gives me a kick in the butt to go trim my branches. Gravely doesnt even put a ROPS on their units, its an accessory. Thinking about the safety ramifications of that, Im amazed that they wouldnt make them mandatory on their new units.

scagmanjosh
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Ha...neither. To be honest Ive never seen a Ferris, apparently theres not many around here in LA. The list wasnt meant to be comprehensive, just a fun list. Seems quite a few here agree with it for the most part. Apologies to those that got left off the original list (Dixon, Bobcat, Ferris, Cub Cadet, Simplicity--not sure if thats a commercial unit though). There was just too many and those are less common around here with the exception of Cub Cadet.

EvenCutLawnCare
06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Neat Thread.

I run all Gravelys and like looks of them. Very Functional. My 260 with the 31 horse turbo diesel has a much higher hood than my gassers so it reminds me of the hunch back of Notre Dame. But boy can that thing mow through a lot of grass.

By the way, im impressed with the fuel capacity of the Bad Boy mowers, but how do they hold so much (i think 18 gallons) when the fuel tanks look so small. Is there parts of the fuel tank that aren't visible from the side view?

astrohip
06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
By the way, im impressed with the fuel capacity of the Bad Boy mowers, but how do they hold so much (i think 18 gallons) when the fuel tanks look so small. Is there parts of the fuel tank that aren't visible from the side view?
Ok, I'm prolly gonna expose my acute dumbness here, but I've been wondering about something on my Bad Boy...

It's got two tanks. How do they work with each other? Does it draw from one, then the other? Both at once? Is there a line connecting them? Do I need to fill both, each time?

Go easy on me guys. *trucewhiteflag*

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
IMO

Scag has the meanest looking ZTR's...bar none.
I like the exmark WB.
And the Stander just looks great.

Ugliest mower in the world is the new Cub Cadet Tank Rider, the one with the steering wheel...the other older ones looked just fine.

KS_Grasscutter
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
This is something you would think would get discussed in the dead of winter when there is absolutely nothing relevant to talk about.

And IMO, Dixon looks the best.

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 07:41 PM
that bugs me

Why would that bug you?

I leave mine folded down. Reason: Tree Branches.

Am I supposed to just mow it with the walk behind?...or waste time folding the ROPS up and down all darn day?...that's what I thought.

Mine stays folded down...I mow hills, I know what my z can do.

lawnspecialties
06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I still think Hustlers are the best "looking" mowers.

Dixie Choppers, Scags, Grasshoppers, and Bad Boys are the ugliest.

Anybody remember the Gizmo? Whew! :dizzy:

retrodog
06-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, I'm prolly gonna expose my acute dumbness here, but I've been wondering about something on my Bad Boy...

It's got two tanks. How do they work with each other? Does it draw from one, then the other? Both at once? Is there a line connecting them? Do I need to fill both, each time?

Go easy on me guys. *trucewhiteflag*

Its a free fall system, no switch or anything, just falls out of both.

HISnHERS
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I still think Hustlers are the best "looking" mowers.

Dixie Choppers, Scags, Grasshoppers, and Bad Boys are the ugliest.

Anybody remember the Gizmo? Whew! :dizzy:

Like I said a few posts earlier - I got a GIZMOW. They are funky looking but it is a well built machine. Wouldn't hesitate to get another if I could.

retrodog
06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey guys, seriously, you really don't like the way these look? It has to be the eye of the beholder....I guess I am like one of those friends that has the really ugly girlfriend but thinks she is a 10.....

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-19-2009, 11:02 PM
you know your mower is ugly when they use camo to try to hide it lol!

they painted bb hunter orange so you wouldnt over look them and most people probly mistake them for a kubota.

i personally think dixon has a awsome blue color to it untill it peels off! the whole mower lol cheap!

kubota zg 327 in person is one hell of a good looking mower! check one out! i did the other day and was very impressed the guy told me he paid 8000 for it and he was a big shot had no reason to lie to me. the deck is sooo deep it looks twice as deep as a normal deck!

exmark isnt really that great looking the day after you buy it once it is dirty it looks like it is a old mower.

dixie chopper looks like a 1980's mistake that stuck arround for 2o some odd years

john deere looks like a green round turd! lol

gravely looks like a cheap firebird some red neck tried to turn into a mower

everride bumble bee!

hustler a walmart ztr! lol cant wait to hear the responses lol for that.

grasshopper old 1970's mower made for some old guy that only wants to go slow. also is some instances look like a big brown turd or log! lol

oh i almost forgot scag ill have to say really looks big and nasty! fenders make it!

i think a higher power is mad for what i just wrote it strated to rain again! for the 3rd day in a row!

LouisianaLawnboy
06-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't like how Grasshoppers look, and the Exmark looks goofy in the back.

puppypaws
06-20-2009, 02:08 AM
i think badboy looooks like a realy big orange turd! with square corners not round like a normal turd!@*&*

Don't hold back. You really need to be more forthright. :laugh:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I just saw this and thought it was funny! :jester:

Mickhippy
06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Or the GIZMOW!!! Yes, I have one and love it!

Do you have any pics of it, on the job? I think your the first person Ive heard of having one.

tacoma200
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I mean no offense, but he Bad Boys scream Redneck engineering when viewed as a whole even though they are very well laid out, easy to work on, practical, etc. Exmark and Toro have a very advanced, high tech, computer generated, exact tolerance look about them. Scag has a heavy/light construction equipment look about it, John Deere has a Lowes look. Dixie has a custom biker fabrication look. Grasshopper has a put a bag over it, make a train take a dirt road look. So to me Exmark and Toro look the best. All subjective opinion which may have little to do with performance.

93Chevy
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Personally, I like how Bob-cat's look. Green's my favorite color, though I don't like how JD's look. No good reason, just personal preference.

kb9nvh
06-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, I like green myself, especially when its in my wallet instead of someone else's. :-)

I'm going to go get some pics of my BB (I just picked up yesterday), and after I use it more I'll try an post (over in the other thread).

Personally, I like how Bob-cat's look. Green's my favorite color, though I don't like how JD's look. No good reason, just personal preference.

pylnrcr
06-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Do you have any pics of it, on the job? I think your the first person Ive heard of having one.
The first pic is my girlfriend checking it out after we got it home. (she didn't adjust the seat which is why her right foot is stretched out) The second is from the day we demo'd it at the home of the owner of the company. Even with little ZTR experience at the time we we're able to quickly cut around all those trees and on a decent hill with no problems. The mowers are actually pretty sweet - the marketing from the company wasn't very effective though.
I have an LCO friend that has run Ferris and Bobcat ZTR's for years. He tried it for a day and was very impressed. He put them on his to consider list when it came time to replace his mowers (which he does every 2 or 3 years) but it looks like Gizmow isn't around anymore. He's actually kinda bummed that he didn't grab one a year or two ago.

kb9nvh
06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Thats not a ferrari behind that GIZMOW is it!!!
Both are SWEET!!

Gizmow is about as stupid a name as is BadBoy though.
Names should be like "Sterling" or "Rigid" or "IronHorse" names that can stand the test of time. they shouldn't be cliche or trendy (I still bought a bad boy though..LOL)

93Chevy
06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
That Gizmow looks like a tank!

ashelton
06-20-2009, 12:07 PM
IMO the Dixie looks like something that some "shade tree" mechanic put together in his garage.

pylnrcr
06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Thats not a ferrari behind that GIZMOW is it!!!
Both are SWEET!!

Gizmow is about as stupid a name as is BadBoy though.
Names should be like "Sterling" or "Rigid" or "IronHorse" names that can stand the test of time. they shouldn't be cliche or trendy (I still bought a bad boy though..LOL)
It's a Lambo - not mine for sure. And yeah, the name is a little goofy. When they were introduced a lot of folks criticized the color. Our house has about 250' ft frontage on a state road so when I'm cutting along it I really appreciate the visibility of the green.

Here are a couple other pics - the first one shows two of them on a trailer with a matching Hummer. Those the one's we demo'd. The second is from inside the plant and talk about a mower that's built like a tank - it's an overseas model which requires bumpers, head and tail lights, turn signals, tank & engine guards, fenders, plus all kinds of other neat little doodads. Notice the spring loaded deck casters. I guess over there they actually license the mowers for street use and LCO's drive them to the job sites. It even has a license plate bracket on the back. I've got about 360 hours on the clock with only one problem. The front wheels are mechanically linked to the steering wheel with a chain set up and I hit a big hole and a chain popped off. Put it back on and adjusted according to the manual and never had a problem since. But to get back on topic, it might not be a looker, but man I wish I had another one.

ohiogreenworks
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Why would that bug you?

I leave mine folded down. Reason: Tree Branches.

Am I supposed to just mow it with the walk behind?...or waste time folding the ROPS up and down all darn day?...that's what I thought.

Mine stays folded down...I mow hills, I know what my z can do.

I agree with you. Way too many low branches, buildings, cars etc that I can't get close enough to with the rops up. I take the Z on hills all the time, just know your limits...

Hey guys, seriously, you really don't like the way these look? It has to be the eye of the beholder....I guess I am like one of those friends that has the really ugly girlfriend but thinks she is a 10.....

Best thing in that picture is the truck :cool2:

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 02:51 PM
i like that humveee and mower setup! how much they want for that package? i got 13000 cahs right now tell em i am serious! lol

HISnHERS
06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
i like that humveee and mower setup! how much they want for that package? i got 13000 cahs right now tell em i am serious! lol

I will say it was a sight going down the road - no missing it!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 03:05 PM
i didnt think of it but it is the same color as a duetz fahr tractors some of the best running tractors int he world! check out you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcG1C2i59BM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcG1C2i59BM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0I9Vxf3XkI

scagmanjosh
06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
The first pic is my girlfriend checking it out after we got it home. (she didn't adjust the seat which is why her right foot is stretched out) The second is from the day we demo'd it at the home of the owner of the company. Even with little ZTR experience at the time we we're able to quickly cut around all those trees and on a decent hill with no problems. The mowers are actually pretty sweet - the marketing from the company wasn't very effective though.
I have an LCO friend that has run Ferris and Bobcat ZTR's for years. He tried it for a day and was very impressed. He put them on his to consider list when it came time to replace his mowers (which he does every 2 or 3 years) but it looks like Gizmow isn't around anymore. He's actually kinda bummed that he didn't grab one a year or two ago.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152257&stc=1&d=1245504668.jpg

OK, that GIZMOW is PIMP my friend. Never seen anything like that before. Looks like something from another planet... How the heck does the steering work? How is forward and reverse speed controlled?

bighaydenslawn
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
OK, that GIZMOW is PIMP my friend. Never seen anything like that before. Looks like something from another planet... How the heck does the steering work? How is forward and reverse speed controlled?

Looks to be foot pedal controls down by the base of the steering column. I think it looks like an awfully fun and tough mower.

puppypaws
06-20-2009, 06:35 PM
i didnt think of it but it is the same color as a duetz fahr tractors some of the best running tractors int he world! check out you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcG1C2i59BM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcG1C2i59BM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0I9Vxf3XkI

They made probably the best air cooled tractor ever designed.

http://www.deutzfahrusa.com/

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 06:44 PM
They made probably the best air cooled tractor ever designed.

http://www.deutzfahrusa.com/

i dont know what it is but i alwasy liked them since i have saw them, i really think it is because of the color lol! but i was alwasy interested in learning more about them. thats neat a air cooled diesel im a fan of air cooled loL!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
this is why hyundai is the best lol

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-uDBtsXv6dWA/crazy_saudi_driving/

Bigguy500
06-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I think Dixon & Toro are the best so far as looks.

DaddyRabbit
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Geesh, that was great!! :clapping:

kb9nvh
06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
SICK drifting skils!!!

HISnHERS
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
The steering shaft is connected to the front casters via a chain system. It steers just like a car. As it's turned one direction or the other the inside drive wheel slows progressively with the degree of steering input. When the steering input and casters get to 90 degrees (full lock) the inside wheel will reverse giving it zero turn capability. The steering system is not complicated and so far has been dead on accurate. Best thing about it is you can traverse hills at all angles and since the casters are linked to the steering wheel there's no drifting. One hand, straight line driving anywhere is a breeze. Lines are straight no matter how the contour changes.

The right foot pedal is forward and the left is reverse. I can reverse forever, up or down hills and keep it perfectly straight. Let up on whatever directional pedal you're on and it stops on a dime - so simple even I can do it. This thing sports a mechanical cruise control for long straights, an electric deck lift, and even a loud car horn. I tried to contact Gizmow to buy another this year but didn't get any responses so I'm guessing they've given up. Maybe it was to much to establish a dealer network and try to sell a steering wheel'd ZTR to the LCO crowd.

Ended up with a 27/48 Ferris Evolution so maybe I just like things that are a little different.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 08:25 PM
evolution hows she run! i dont hear much of anything about them! how much and do you mulch with it? if i bought one i need a mulch kit cause i use a bagger for that size mower and they dont make one that would work for me.

tacoma200
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Just funny pics of mowers or something close to it. I kinda like the jeep. Senior scooter just needs a deck.

HISnHERS
06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
evolution hows she run! i dont hear much of anything about them! how much and do you mulch with it? if i bought one i need a mulch kit cause i use a bagger for that size mower and they dont make one that would work for me.

The suspension and operator position is great. Very easy on the back and knees. The Kawasaki engine runs well (it better, it's still new). The cut quality is very good. Two things I think need improvement is the fact that there is no deck overhang on the trimming side so it's harder to get close to things and the steering levers are way to touchy. Do a heavy bounce on the suspension, your arms & hands will move and you end up with the wiggles. However, i am getting more seat time and getting used to the machine so those issues aren't as bad as when I first started with it. No mulching here. As for grass collection I have an aluminum Accelerator grass collector on mine that serves the purpose.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
The suspension and operator position is great. Very easy on the back and knees. The Kawasaki engine runs well (it better, it's still new). The cut quality is very good. Two things I think need improvement is the fact that there is no deck overhang on the trimming side so it's harder to get close to things and the steering levers are way to touchy. Do a heavy bounce on the suspension, your arms & hands will move and you end up with the wiggles. However, i am getting more seat time and getting used to the machine so those issues aren't as bad as when I first started with it. No mulching here. As for grass collection I have an aluminum Accelerator grass collector on mine that serves the purpose.

see i would not mind having the catcher but i couldnt get inbetween some bushes becuase of the width.

how does it do on hills?

how much for a 19hp 36" cut??

HISnHERS
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
see i would not mind having the catcher but i couldnt get inbetween some bushes becuase of the width.

how does it do on hills?

how much for a 19hp 36" cut??

Haven't run it on any hills that matter yet so I don't have an opinion on that. I think the 19/36's run in the 7K range.

tacoma200 - funny pics. Love the Jeep. My girlfriends first love is Jeeps (she has a Wrangler and a Liberty, wants a 4 door) She freaked over that lawnmower-jeep thing.