PDA

View Full Version : Planted new lawm...have questions?

crepitus
06-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Planted a new lawn 2 weeks ago in NJ. i brought in 5 yards of top soil, spread it and planted seed threw down some starter fertilizer and covered with Penns Mulch. We have had alot of rain here...i mean alot. 2 days after planting we got a huge down pour. Most of the mulch washed away or disintegrated. I do have some grass coming up now but its spotty. Temperatures have been very cool too. I was wondering if I should wait longer or if I should overseed now. And if I should overseed how do I go about doing it? Lightly rake the area dn throw seed? I dont want to disturb the grass that is growing.

Kindarring
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes rake it in lighting if fully bare. If its thin fert every 6 weeks or so to get it thicking up. Also be ready to but down fungicide and something (drive) for all the crabgrass that will be coming up. Be ready to also seed in the fall.

White Gardens
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes, just lightly rake and seed in the bad areas. Just keep at it this year and next year it will fill in good.

You will be getting weeds, but make sure you mow the grass 4-5 times before you apply any herbicide.

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Spring is really not the best time for such a project, and you did this very late even for a spring seeding. Sure, over seed the bare spots. trying to avoid disturbing any young seedlings, but the heat of the summer may kill many of these seedlings as the root system will be shallow and unestablished, inviting weed infestations besides. Be prepared to do a lot of hand pulling of weeds if this has a chance to work out well.