PDA

View Full Version : having to quit half way through the lawn.

LawnMowerKing10
06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Today I was working solo today since my helper was not able to come and work so I was out mowing 2 lawns ( neighbors) and then I was trimming one and these huge thunder storms pop out of no where. How do you explain to them that I had to pack my stuff up and run to the truck because it was so bad I couldnt even finish the other lawns backyard or trim and blow? they are understanding most of the time but it looks really bad ... the lawns were so tall grass was everywhere...any help is apppreciated

Storm the Patriot
06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Its funny this is brought up...I HATE having to do this...It is more of an obsessive compulsive thing with me...It really irritates me and i actually worry about it on a potential rainy day that if i start im going to have to stop. I just cant stand it being half done.

I suppose you will just have to explain and more then likely they will understand...if not then they are not that great of a customer anyway.

STIHL GUY
06-18-2009, 02:44 PM
just explain to them what happened they should be understanding. when i have lawns next to each other and there is a chance of rain i trim them both then mow one all the way before i start the next. then i blow both at the same time. that way if it starts to rain i only have 1 half mowed lawn not 2

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Just communicate with your customer. They should understand. Weather is weather - no one mows in driving rain/high wind/lightning situations.

scagtiger
06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
get weatherbug on your phone and check the radar if it looks like rain.. i have my guys do this so they never get wet half way thru a yard

S.I.
06-18-2009, 03:41 PM
This is ironic, because I had the same thing happen to me today. I have three lawns all in one spot that I do together. When I pulled up the sun was shining, about halfway through a little drizzle, a few minutes later it was like standing under Niagra Falls. I grabed the rain coat and kept going. All but the trimming was done on two of the yards and the third one I had to call it when the water was over the sidewalk and coming into the yard. I've never seen it rain like that here. In my case the last guy was home, he called me a crazy idiot (jokingly) and said he woul dsee me tomorrow. All was good.

All_Toro_4ME
06-18-2009, 03:53 PM
check with your local news channel's websites. Often times there will be an option to receive free weather alerts sent via text message to your cellphone. Select your county along with some other surrounding counties and if any storms come in through the day, you'll be notified through text there's a storm in the next county heading your way.

S.I.
06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I get weather alerts on my phone, around here they are pretty much useless. Checking the radar on weather bug doesn't help me out either, the radar doesn't show anything into the mountains, even if it did a storm could hang up on the range for a day or more before breaking through. When it does break through it could blow past in a matter of minutes or get caught in an inversion and be here for a day or more. Good tips for others though.

greenred
06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Just explain to your customer. No one in their right mind would expect you to work out doors during a electrical storm. I have worked in the poring rain, but I call it quits when I see lightning or hear thunder.

david shumaker
06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I just leave. If I see the customer, I tell them "I'll be back".

S L C
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
I just leave. If I see the customer, I tell them "I'll be back".

yeah, thats about as simple to the point as it could be.......... this thread is just plain stupid.... d'oh :dizzy::dizzy::sleeping:

just4funthen
06-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Only left a place half done twice, hate to do it but its the first thing I do when I go back to mowing. Who cares about lighting, jeez, the mower has rubber tires people. Dont be afraid! ...j/k

CH3ROK33
06-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Glad to hear you've had such good luck with lightning, but you're working under a false sense of security. Lightning travels miles through the air. A few inches of rubber are not going deter it one bit. Ask someone from Florida. Cars and trucks get hit everyday and they don't have a steel deck with high carbon steel blades in constant contact with wet grass. Today's newer cars are safer simply because there is so little metal left that has not been replaced by plastic or foam. The passengers are only at greatest risk if they are touching a metal component or are getting in our out of the car while making contact with the car and the ground at the same time. The cars usually just fry their radios, computers and other devices with printed circuit boards. Large heavy equipment with ROPS (Roll Over Protection) are safer. The equipment offers a quick, direct path to ground and acts like a Faraday cage, protecting the operator from the lightning. The injuries from lighting occur from it trying to find a path to ground and passes through your body in an attempt to find that path. Foolishly, I also usually mow in the storms while hoping that I don't beat the odds of getting hit. Once I can tell that the quality begins to suffer or I'm going to damage the lawn then even I have to quit. Make your choices informed ones and do what's best for you.

lyube
06-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Work in the rain, look pitiful, get tips.

:)

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:48 AM
CH3ROK33, just4funthen was just kidding. j/k = joke

I almost replied telling him he was a goofball till I saw the "j/k" lol

:waving:

CH3ROK33
06-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Thanks greenred for waking me up. I take things too seriously this late at night. I usually get real philisophical just before I pass out. Hopefully just4funthen has already gone to bed before reading the post without the follow up. Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas here. There's just too much experience on the site not to make use of it. Oops, here I go again.
Good night and good luck.

Charles
06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Today I was working solo today since my helper was not able to come and work so I was out mowing 2 lawns ( neighbors) and then I was trimming one and these huge thunder storms pop out of no where. How do you explain to them that I had to pack my stuff up and run to the truck because it was so bad I couldnt even finish the other lawns backyard or trim and blow? they are understanding most of the time but it looks really bad ... the lawns were so tall grass was everywhere...any help is apppreciated

Are you ever going back to finish the yards?:confused:
Call their home on your cell. Leave a message if they are not there. Leave a note on the door or in the mail box. A storm does not excuse you from finishing the job. You have to go back when the coast is clear. I don't work when lightening is present either. Not worth getting fried. Sometimes I just go sit in the truck and wait for the storm to blow over.

LawnMowerKing10
06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
yes, I did finish the backyard later that day when the storms past.