PDA

View Full Version : drain tile line immediately behind new wall

cleancutccl
06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
We are installing a new wall for a customer, had originally a limestone boulder wall. Anyway we are butting the new wall up against a wing wall from the foundation of the house. This is also where the drain tile line dumps out. We have had outrageous amounts of rain all year so far and no end in sight so the area remains very soggy. We excavated soggy dirt out of base area down to solid (what I thought was solid ground) and built our base. Put up about 4 courses of stone and returned the next day to find that the final base stone sank (only on one end) about 1/4 inch. We dug the base stone out and watched the hole fill up with water. It hasn't rained since Tuesday. My question is have any of you had to install a sump pump behind a retaining wall to keep your wall structure from becoming jeopardized? We have piping attached to the drain tile line that exits out the front of the wall with slope, however, drain tile line is perforated so it weeps behind wall. Any ideas will be great, talking with homeowners about options tonight.

Thanks,

norstile
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Did you you figure what to do, i have the same problem.

DVS Hardscaper
08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
needs to install a drywell and pipe water away.

We just did this today at one of our jobs, to the tune of $2500.00

Isobel
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
how deep is your base, and what is it made out of?

norstile
08-05-2009, 07:38 AM
8 inches of crusher run

cleancutccl
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
here is an update. Wall is completed now, we installed a sump pump 18" below our base level. Not all went as planned, had a hydrocutting company come in to cut our 10' deep sump well, hit lots of limestone rock. Installed sump pump and didn't run for first 2 days, now it runs every few minutes. I have the feeling the house is sitting on a underground spring. Wall is done, customer is very happy, even though it cost more money than originally thought, but that is life.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2009, 11:17 PM
here is an update. Wall is completed now, we installed a sump pump 18" below our base level. Not all went as planned, had a hydrocutting company come in to cut our 10' deep sump well, hit lots of limestone rock. Installed sump pump and didn't run for first 2 days, now it runs every few minutes. I have the feeling the house is sitting on a underground spring. Wall is done, customer is very happy, even though it cost more money than originally thought, but that is life.

Not so sure I like the sounds of this. So now the client has to rely on an electric device to maintain the wall's stability?? What happens when the pump needs replaced? Lawsuit will follow in 3-4 years.

DeereHauler
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM
needs to install a drywell and pipe water away.

We just did this today at one of our jobs, to the tune of $2500.00

i like that idea. we use dry wells a lot, haven't done it for this particular situation, but with any drainage issues with downspouts, or where water flows create ice problems in winter we use them.

mrusk
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Electric pump??? Why didn't you just run the house footing drain to day light? Then you shut of added 2.5" crushed stone wrapped in fabric and then your normal base.

DVS Hardscaper
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah, the sump is a bad idea. they'll long forget about it. it'll stop working. Then they'll call you and want you to rebuild the wall for free.

People like to do things and forget about them. We don't like to have to do routine maintenance.

Prime example - how many folks here actually drain their hot water heater annually as you're supposed to?? See, not many. If we can't remember to drain our hot water heaters, I can see that sump pump going bad in 5 years and the owners not realizing it stopped working till 5 months later, after it shifts the wall.