PDA

View Full Version : Woods MG3361G is a horse

puppypaws
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM
This is "TomberLawns" mower, we put the 33 Generac to a tough test today, just to find out exactly how much power it does have. My Hustler Super Z with the 28 efi will not move 6' into this grass until the engine would choke completely down. A person could not believe the power of this engine unless they were looking at exactly what I saw and made these pictures of. I watched this machine is total disbelief, he was not driving this mower the speed I only believed to be possible (the slowest it could run), we both decided he was running over 5 mph. He was driving the speed that looked to me; as what I see people normally mowing.

This grass was dry and the temperature around 90°, he got to a drainage area coming directly into the lake (the same size grass) but the grass was full of moisture. He told me the mower had to be pulled back to handle the same grass but with moisture thrown into the picture. I called him on the phone and asked him how much hp he felt like the moisture laden grass pull away? He said, "it probably took 10 hp away from the engine." This is a more severe situation, but the boys up north that have been in wet grass for such a long period of time need more hp than some realize realize. You think, why do I need such a large engine to burn more gas, this so called large engine can burn less gas because it is never in a strain. "Tomberlawn", says his is around 1.3 gph, "Tacoma", says his 35 Vanguard is at 1.4 gph, and he is mowing a great deal of large wet grass. I think if "Tacoma" was running a 30 hp Kohler, it would be in full power mode at all times and still could not keep up and the fuel usage would be higher.

This is one of the things I always speak of, it takes a great deal more hp for a deck to function properly in wet grass than perfectly dry grass. I would say for a deck to perform properly in the same size wet grass as it would if the grass were dry, you need 6 to 8 more hp, possibly more. You can be well assured that a 30 hp Kolher in reasonably large wet grass would pull down, where the big block 31 Kawasaki, 31 Vanguard and 33 Generac would never change sounds and would maintain full speed, along with full blade operating rpms. When you check the specs on big block engines they will show a difference in hp, but if you look closely at all the specs, along with torque curves, there is very little difference. I honestly don't believe you can tell a power difference in a 32 Vanguard versus the 35, or the 34 Kawasaki versus the 37.

Check this out, "TomberLawn" mowing hay. Some people will say, no one in their right mind would put a ZTR in a location such as that, and thay may be true. We did it for the reason of seeing and showing that if it can cut this, there is no normal grass in any type mowing situation that will faze this mower in any way.

puppypaws
06-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Check this out, "TomberLawn" mowing hay. Some people will say, no one in their right mind would put a ZTR in a location such as that, and thay may be true. We did it for the reason of seeing and showing that if it can cut this, there is no normal grass in any type mowing situation that will faze this mower in any way.

Here are more pictures in the jungle!

puppypaws
06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Here are more pictures in the jungle!

Here is a couple more! We all the know mower can't cut all this grass in one pass, so my wife is out there now making it look manicured as is possible. I watched her for a few minutes and never heard the 28 efi change sounds, that is the difference in completely dry grass.

puppypaws
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Here is a couple more! We all the know mower can't cut all this grass in one pass, so my wife is out there now making it look manicured as is possible. I watched her for a few minutes and never heard the 28 efi change sounds, that is the difference in completely dry grass.

Bump it up, to show the power!

grassman177
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
oh yeah, such power. joking, i am sure. taht is tal stuff

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
nice pics!

HenryB
06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Puppypaws,
Just buy yourself a 33 hp Generac already!

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
i was just curious why wouldnt you bail that and use the hay for stuff, or to sell or give a poor farmer that needed it???

puppypaws
06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Puppypaws,
Just buy yourself a 33 hp Generac already!

It sure has a great deal of raw power, I doubt there are many zero turn mowers made that would cut that. I have some big grass left we are going to put a 3100 Ferris with a 37 hp Kawasaki in tomorrow. The salesman said they had not put one into really severe cutting, and they were actually interested in seeing what it could do. The deck has a great deal to do with whether it can rid itself of large quantities of grass. The discharge opening is of normal size on the Woods, not even comparable to the Scag Velocity discharge opening. That is one thing that makes it even more remarkable, being able to watch an unbelievable amount of grass come through that small opening.

i was just curious why wouldnt you bail that and use the hay for stuff, or to sell or give a poor farmer that needed it???

We are just seeing what these mowers can take, the farmers around here have so much hay this year they are not really interested. I have asked a couple and they turned it down.

TomberLawn
06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Funny thing is, after bush-hogging at Puppypaws' farm, I went to my nicest yard and laid down a nice, smooth, striped cut. A very versatile mower indeed. I wonder what the Ferris will do in that stuff tomorrow. Kind of wish I could be there when Billy figures out a Super Z is a lot faster than a 3100.

topsites
06-18-2009, 11:06 PM
You got lucky you didn't bend a blade or two, that's exactly how it happens and I don't particularly
care to be shown these pictures making folks think a Ztr can handle anything...
Because obviously they can't, if every 40 hours I have to replace yet another bent blade,
hell the stuff I get into don't look half that mean LOL

I guess the good thing is my blades never really wear out, they bend long before they get far from new.

And I realize that as a dealer you can't control this, but someone can feel free to let these manufacturers in on the secret
and you folks are a whole lot closer to them than I am, every time I say something all they do is send me some smart canned
answer in reply.

I would think the problem is exactly that it has too much power one, and a dang 20" piece of steel being spun in circles hydraulically.

If you're a little more unlucky the blade bolt shears and you lose not just the blade but all the hardware, too,
and maybe you can find it but then you wouldn't think you'd be out of a lot of money so you run to the dealer
but whoops, those few pieces and another blade run you a cool $100.

So if you ever dream or think of cutting that kind of crap with a Ztr you better charge a LOT of money!
Which, the customer won't go for that.

Ask me how I know this *&%^!

Richard Martin
06-19-2009, 03:45 AM
I've charged off into stuff like that on my Dixie. Very slowly of course.

DaddyRabbit
06-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey Pup, is that your pond/property? If so it is gorgeous! When are you going to throw Daddy Rabbit an invite to come and catch all of the fish out of that watering hole?

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I've charged off into stuff like that on my Dixie. Very slowly of course.

Richard, have you ever run one of the big Generacs or seen one run on a Dixie?

The northern boys can be glad they are up north today, it was already hot here at daylight and they say it will be 95 to 98 probably today with bad humidity, miserable.

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
My wife could not stand it, she wanted it to look better and then got caught in the rain mowing again where "Tomberlawn" had cut. She did not quite finish but it will be taken care of today, I do think it looks considerably different. I was very surprised, even with the amount of grass left uncut the 28 efi went through it with no problem and no rpm drop. The difference in this is because it was very hot, which made the grass cut much easier, and the deck handled it better. I honestly believed it would give the Super Z and 28 efi more problems than it did, there was more grass on the ground than you could conceive, unless you saw it with your own eyes.

It went from this.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152062&stc=1&d=1245358962
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152064&stc=1&d=1245359074

To this.....

Tray
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
pretty impressive after photos.

I have a lot at the local animal that I volunteered to cut for them. Looks about the same. 4' high grass. We'll see how my mower handles it.

mobileboy
06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice Place! It is freggin' HOT! high 90's today, humid, heat index around 105 or so here also. At least we don't have the Mobile, Al humidity in full effect yet. At this temp in late July-August, the heat index will be on up in the 110's. Just squint and imagine that first 70 degree breeze in early October!

Richard Martin
06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Richard, have you ever run one of the big Generacs or seen one run on a Dixie?

The northern boys can be glad they are up north today, it was already hot here at daylight and they say it will be 95 to 98 probably today with bad humidity, miserable.

No, I haven't. My 28 EFI does fine on the lawns I normally tackle. I have a feeling that there will be a whole lot of people looking to get rid of some gas sucking "big block" engined mowers in a year or two. The treasury is going to try to auction off over 100 billion next week and if no one buys....

Junior M
06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
You got lucky you didn't bend a blade or two, that's exactly how it happens and I don't particularly
Because obviously they can't, if every 40 hours I have to replace yet another bent blade,

I guess the good thing is my blades never really wear out, they bend long before they get far from new.

And I realize that as a dealer you can't control this, but someone can feel free to let these manufacturers in on the secret
and you folks are a whole lot closer to them than I am, every time I say something all they do is send me some smart canned
answer in reply.

I would think the problem is exactly that it has too much power one, and a dang 20" piece of steel being spun in circles hydraulically.

If you're a little more unlucky the blade bolt shears and you lose not just the blade but all the hardware, too,
and maybe you can find it but then you wouldn't think you'd be out of a lot of money so you run to the dealer

So if you ever dream or think of cutting that kind of crap with a Ztr you better charge a LOT of money!

How do you bend a blade in tall grass? ;)

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 07:16 PM
pretty impressive after photos.

I have a lot at the local animal that I volunteered to cut for them. Looks about the same. 4' high grass. We'll see how my mower handles it.

What mower are you tackling grass like that with?

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
that is sure amazing how it looks like the grass that was cut isnt even there! its too bad we all dont have grass like that! or a mower like that either!

Mowingman
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Bobcat makes a great ZTR mower. Not as fast and fancy as some, but they get the job done day in day out. I like them in the green Bobcat colors better though. My first ZTR was a Bobcat, and it still ranks as one of the best ZTR's I have ever owned.

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
that is sure amazing how it looks like the grass that was cut isnt even there! its too bad we all dont have grass like that! or a mower like that either!

The Woods did the heavy work, knocking 2/3 of the grass down, but the Super Z went back in and handled the remaining volume and making it look nice. I was really impressed at the way my Super Z finished up the mess, and I do mean mess. The new fusion blades cut it as smooth as it could possibly be cut, without straining the engine in the least, which I was truly surprised in, because there was a enormous amount of grass on the ground.
The most distinction made in the manner the Super Z handled such a large volume of grass is because it was perfectly dry, the least bit of dampness, and you could forget it.

I taught her well over the years, she knows how to work the remaining grass into the fields and lake so it looks as though there has never been an excess of grass on the ground.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
thats a nice sanctuary back there with the corn tall it is probly very private. i have a place like that i behind my house i dont own the ponds but my uncle does i like sitting back there have a beer relax its nice! nothing like yours but it gets the job done lol!

TomberLawn
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Wow, that turned out great! Did Billy bring a 3100 over today? I saw him in town while I was out mowing today.

ed2hess
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM

answer in reply.

Boy do I ever agree with you on that I would never take any of my ZTR units into grass like that. What ever happened to the big John Deere tractors with the pull behind mowers. I watched the guy mowing one of our major roadways thru town with huge hills and he had a new John deere. Had the rear wheels pulled in and didn't seem to be concerned about rolling the unit.

Tray
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
What mower are you tackling grass like that with?

I have a ferris IS1500z with 21hp Kawasaki. Long as I have sharp blades, the grass is dry and I take it easy it does fine. I should get my tractor but to much effort for such a small lot. I would estimate it as .5 - .75 acre in size. It's not a regular occurrence. This time will be the highest I have cut. Biggest thing is to make sure it doesn't ball up under the deck.

puppypaws
06-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow, that turned out great! Did Billy bring a 3100 over today? I saw him in town while I was out mowing today.

Nope, never called or anything and I did not really care, it was so terribly hot and humid. She started about 5:00 and mowed until she came in to cook supper and I took over and mowed some of the steep banks she is scared to put the mower on. It really got nice right before dark. I am still going to get lower and closer to the lake with the mower.

I will then take my 4 wheeler with its sprayer and Roundup then edge the bank to stop all vegetation growth. I take one 004 offset spray nozzle and turn it around backwards, this way the pattern is a half fan with the spray part directed onto the edge of the bank and outwards into the water. I turn all other nozzles off so they are unable to spray. This allows me to edge the lake bank just as you would with a string trimmer, the difference being I can spray the entire lake bank in 10 minutes while it would take you 2 hrs. to run a string trimmer around it.

puppypaws
06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
"TomberLawn", she could not stand it, and I could not believe it. I came home today and she was almost finished cutting that jungle we left. The Super Z cut it very well, and the only reason was because it is so hot and dry.

You remember leaving it like this.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152059&stc=1&d=1245358488

This is her almost finishing up, I really don't understand how the Super Z cut this.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152310&stc=1&d=1245530614

tacoma200
06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
The corn looks great! We are so wet I think it's been difficult to get crops planted. We have and over abundance of hay about like your pics but it has been hard to find 3 days of dry weather to get it cut and baled. They are scrambling this weekend to try to get it cut and baled.

puppypaws
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
The corn looks great! We are so wet I think it's been difficult to get crops planted. We have and over abundance of hay about like your pics but it has been hard to find 3 days of dry weather to get it cut and baled. They are scrambling this weekend to try to get it cut and baled.

This is the earliest corn I have, what you are looking at is 9' tall just starting to form ears. You can look at the grass (well junk), in the front yard and tell it is starting to get dry.

You are looking at something I did for the first time in my 40+ years of farming. This corn is Roundup resistant, the technology blows my mind. I sprayed Roundup, broadcast chicken litter and then planted the corn while spraying Bicep and 20 gallons of 28% liquid nitrogen. When the corn got about 3' tall it was sprayed over the top with 1 pint of "Roundup WeatherMAX", the next step will be a combine shelling the corn.

That is a lot easier than it use to be, disking the land twice with a heavy cutting disk harrow, cutting it again with a smoothing disk and a section harrow pulled behind to level the planting area for good seed placement. You then planted the corn with a planter while knifing in in dry fertilizer 3" to the right of the seed furrow. You then came directly over the top before the corn emerged and sprayed liquid nitrogen, and your weed and grass herbicide.
The next step would be to cultivate the corn once and sometimes twice.

This makes me sick to think of the amount of work I once did that was totally useless. That is a great deal of time lost from your life when it could have been done in 20% of the time or less had we developed the knowledge sooner.

TomberLawn
06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
How many passes did she make over that grass to get it smooth? It was really wet in there the other day, but 90+ weather the past couple of days sucked the moisture right out, I guess.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
yeah its been raining here for last 4 days i think, so hard to plant things! i had to readjust all my plants higher before the roots rotted off and killed them.

puppypaws
06-20-2009, 09:38 PM
How many passes did she make over that grass to get it smooth? It was really wet in there the other day, but 90+ weather the past couple of days sucked the moisture right out, I guess.

I just walked in the door, I've been rolling grass, she did a good job but there is so much grass to move. The mower actually did a good job the first time across with the deck in transport position. When I say a good job, I mean there was very little left standing on the first pass but there is nowhere for the grass to go. You have to keep working it, and you must go over it several, and I mean many times, to keep working that much grass into the fields. You don't want it to pile, so I take about 4 passes blowing the grass in the same direction from the edge of the field into the corn. I go up the waterway doing this and then I come down the other side with the same procedure. This leaves me an open area to move grass into, then I move that grass into the corn and repeat the process. It is time consuming to get an aggravating mess like that straightened out for the first time.

I have timed myself with a stopwatch mowing the entire waterway, from the lake to the road, a 60' wide strip close to 800' long and it took right at 9 minutes. I will probably spend 1 1/2 hrs or more, getting it into shape moving that amount of grass, and I hate that type mowing, you know I'm normally running 15 mph everywhere I cut. I am glad my wife has been doing most of this, I hate to slow down.

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Nice job, I disagree I cut grass like that all the time with a ZTR, the only true danger of putting a ZTR in these situations are the unseen foreign objects you might hit, or large sink holes etc.

It's all about money how much do you want to spend on a ZTR that has the marginal power to maintain this grass at lower height's or let it grow to this length, and then cut it down with an air cooled Big Block:hammerhead:. How much gas did you burn to cut this area?? is it profitable to run an air cooled Big Block in this environment in 90 degree temps for a living.

These test's show that air cooled V-Twin large displacement engines have come a long way, no-doubt. Thermal efficiency??? Remember as the displacement of the air cooled engine increases above 900cc so does it's weakness, it's air cooled:hammerhead: you have only, two means of cooling ambient air temp & engine oil.How hot is the air cooled engine running in these conditions?, when is the oil going to break down??/more oil changes with air cooled engines. Simply put, you don't know with air cooled engines, you get a dummy light when it gets too hot, if your lucky.

Your burning more fuel than needs to be burned in these cutting situations, if your a full-time LCO.
I would throw the Fusions out the window for this job, the Dixie Chopper X-Blades would have done better with less re-cutting.

DaddyRabbit
06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm no professional but I wonder if it will cause premature blade/belt wear?

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 11:23 PM
A mule belt system powered with adequate horsepower & torque would not see anymore belt wear than cutting 1/2 to 1" of grass vs 6ft.

Taking and underpowered or marginal powered machine will cause belt slipping

Blade wear, Yes you will see accelerated blade wear, this should be calculated into your cost per hour in these mowing conditions.

I'm no professional but I wonder if it will cause premature blade/belt wear?

Quiky One
06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
So mowing in thick grass won't cause belt slippage? That is awesome to know. I always wondered how that worked.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-20-2009, 11:55 PM
lol anyone can do anything it is all about how fast to get it done like puppy did ! he did that fast and illl give him credit it looks nice! id like to personally drink some beer next to that pond ! lol good job i dont care how you did it it is sure nice from what it was!

MONTE
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I ordered a Woods today a 61" 37hp! The 33hp is nla!

Pennington Lawncare
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
It's the same ZTR as a Bob-Cat Predator Pro with a different paint job and yes I've done jobs with that mower that I would have previously told the owner they needed to cut it with a bush hog before I could maintain it for them.

nosparkplugs
06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
37hp gasburner:dizzy: Man don't you think your going to own a gas guzzler:confused:, sure you got a deal cause it's an air cooled Big Block. I would say that nothing will bring that 37hp engine down, but also your going to be sucking fuel no matter the grass length. Let us know how the fuel consumption is.

MONTE
06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
The 37hp is not all that bad on fuel! I have a good friend with a country clipper with that engine and he does well with it!

HenryB
06-26-2009, 09:05 PM

What is nla?

puppypaws
06-26-2009, 09:37 PM
What is nla?

Not available!

Bobcat builds the mower for Woods and Bobcat stopped using the Generac engine, they were not selling for them. People have gotten a mental block about Generac the same as they had with Briggs & Stratton. What I've seen from the Generac has been very positive along with the Briggs Vanguard. They are extremely powerful big block engines. The Vanguard is coming into use more so, whereas the Generac seems to be losing ground.

The Bobcat and Woods mowers that were left over with the 33 Generac sold at a discounted price. Once they were no longer on the market, they were replaced by Kawasaki. People know the name Kawasaki and relate it to a proven well liked engine, this is what sells.

nosparkplugs
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
:laugh: Real world numbers or GPH will only do:waving:, not an assumption from a friend. Lets say you average at least 1.6 GPH x 5 hours a day x 5 day a week, with 87 octane @ $2.59. First you would burn 40 gallons of gas in one week, or $103.60 per week. The more you run an air cooled Big Block the more money you loose. I agree for short days of mowing these air cooled Big Blocks are a bargain at face value.

The 37hp is not all that bad on fuel! I have a good friend with a country clipper with that engine and he does well with it!

lifetree
06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
... So if you ever dream or think of cutting that kind of crap with a Ztr you better charge a LOT of money ! Which, the customer won't go for that.

OK, I'll bite, how do you know this ... as if I don't already know the answer ?? :laugh: :laugh: :waving:

lifetree
06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
... I have a feeling that there will be a whole lot of people looking to get rid of some gas sucking "big block" engined mowers in a year or two. The treasury is going to try to auction off over 100 billion next week and if no one buys....

I don't understand the point you're trying to make between mowers with big block engines and U.S. Treasury auctions ... please explain ??

Razorblades
06-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Not available!

Bobcat builds the mower for Woods and Bobcat stopped using the Generac engine, they were not selling for them. People have gotten a mental block about Generac the same as they had with Briggs & Stratton. What I've seen from the Generac has been very positive along with the Briggs Vanguard. They are extremely powerful big block engines. The Vanguard is coming into use more so, whereas the Generac seems to be losing ground.

The Bobcat and Woods mowers that were left over with the 33 Generac sold at a discounted price. Once they were no longer on the market, they were replaced by Kawasaki. People know the name Kawasaki and relate it to a proven well liked engine, this is what sells.

I hope that the problem that the guy has had with his Kawasaki 37 HP engine is an isolated case since he said that he is on his third engine and it is in the shop now, with problems. I hope that Bobcat and other brands that have dropped the Generac engines, didn't act too rashly in doing so. See the big block Kawasaki reliability thread.

puppypaws
06-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I hope that the problem that the guy has had with his Kawasaki 37 HP engine is an isolated case since he said that he is on his third engine and it is in the shop now, with problems. I hope that Bobcat and other brands that have dropped the Generac engines, didn't act too rashly in doing so. See the big block Kawasaki reliability thread.

That is the first problems I've heard from the big block Kawi's, sounds like inferior parts problems off the assembly line.

Sammy
06-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Why would you blow grass into the pond ?

Sammy
06-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Funny thing is, after bush-hogging at Puppypaws' farm, I went to my nicest yard and laid down a nice, smooth, striped cut.

Why is that funny ? I would hope that you are able to mow a nice yard with it afterwards. Now, if you were unable to mow a nice yard afterward, that would be funny !

puppypaws
06-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Why would you blow grass into the pond ?

You blow grass into a pond so when it breaks down while turning into organic matter the chlorophyll releases and turns the water green. This makes the fish very happy to swim in green water, you do realize America is going green, its good for the environment.

Richard Martin
06-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't understand the point you're trying to make between mowers with big block engines and U.S. Treasury auctions ... please explain ??

I believe the price of gas is going to skyrocket within 2 years due to inflation that is going to be caused in large part to the amount of money we're borrowing. Big Blocks aren't known for being the most fuel efficient. When gas costs 6 and 7 dollars a gallon some people may be looking to get rid of those engines. It's just my opinion.

nosparkplugs
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree just read an article the only reason crude oil price's are low is OPEC knows the world economy is in recession. Fuel price' will increase again once the USA can tolerate the screwing, so I agree 100% these Big Block Gasburners will be hard to dump when the "cheap" coolness factor is over, and a fuel price sticker shock hits home. Big Blocks appealing is that cheap power, and a blind eye to the gas guzzling that comes along with the cheap price.

Also the USA no longer, and will never again have a real influence on crude oil price's.

I have calculated at 1.2-1.6GPH some of these Big Blocks will burn 40 gallons a week of gas that is at $2.59 per gallon of 87 Octane mowing 5 days a week for 5 hours, lets not even talk about the 2GPH Big Blocks:dizzy:, yes they are out their. These Big Blocks are a ticking time bomb, with ZERO margin for error when it comes to a spike in fuel price's. Again many on here think spending less for an engine, and burning more fuel is a great deal.

I believe the price of gas is going to skyrocket within 2 years due to inflation that is going to be caused in large part to the amount of money we're borrowing. Big Blocks aren't known for being the most fuel efficient. When gas costs 6 and 7 dollars a gallon some people may be looking to get rid of those engines. It's just my opinion.

puppypaws
06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree just read an article the only reason crude oil price's are low is OPEC knows the world economy is in recession. Fuel price' will increase again once the USA can tolerate the screwing, so I agree 100% these Big Block Gasburners will be hard to dump when the "cheap" coolness factor is over, and a fuel price sticker shock hits home. Big Blocks appealing is that cheap power, and a blind eye to the gas guzzling that comes along with the cheap price.

Also the USA no longer, and will never again have a real influence on crude oil price's.

I have calculated at 1.2-1.6GPH some of these Big Blocks will burn 40 gallons a week of gas that is at $2.59 per gallon of 87 Octane mowing 5 days a week for 5 hours, lets not even talk about the 2GPH Big Blocks:dizzy:, yes they are out their. These Big Blocks are a ticking time bomb, with ZERO margin for error when it comes to a spike in fuel price's. Again many on here think spending less for an engine, and burning more fuel is a great deal.

Gas prices are only going so high, they were crunching the numbers on the last spike. They know exactly where people will start cutting back tremendously on consumption. Gas companies have these figures calculated so closely, they actually know what sections of a large city can afford to pay what prices. I posted a while back when gas prices were the lowest they had been in a very long time, it was being calculated as to what price the American public was willing to pay before it started affecting usage.

As we saw before, if gas gets into the $3.50 to $4.00 range consumption starts to drop dramatically. When and if you see gas get into the $5.00 range, consumption will drop so low, so fast, OPEC will be looking to stimulate sales any way possible; along with our other suppliers. There is a point people cannot afford to purchase gas, this is when other alternatives come into play very quickly.

nosparkplugs
06-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Lets "cast a broad net" and throw in the EPA cap & trade legislation into the forumla, were soon going to see higher fuel price's :) Consumption will only drop for those whom cannot afford to purchase gas. Our industry is fuel based, so theirfore we must absorb the increase, any engine that is a gas guzzler regardless of intial savings is a bad investment over the long haul; especially in this market, take diesel trucks back when diesel was $5.00 per gallon truck dealers could not give a diesel truck away. Now that diesel is at or lower than gas price's, diesels are once again popular. One must look at the long term picture for this reason Big Blocks are a cheap investment that many dump when fuel price's spike.

Gas prices are only going so high, they were crunching the numbers on the last spike. They know exactly where people will start cutting back tremendously on consumption. Gas companies have these figures calculated so closely, they actually know what sections of a large city can afford to pay what prices. I posted a while back when gas prices were the lowest they had been in a very long time, it was being calculated as to what price the American public was willing to pay before it started affecting usage.

As we saw before, if gas gets into the $3.50 to $4.00 range consumption starts to drop dramatically. When and if you see gas get into the $5.00 range, consumption will drop so low, so fast, OPEC will be looking to stimulate sales any way possible; along with our other suppliers. There is a point people cannot afford to purchase gas, this is when other alternatives come into play very quickly.

WREBELMACHINE
06-27-2009, 10:50 PM
It probably will not burn any more fuel than the generac does! Which does much better then a 30hp kohler!

Downunder Bob
06-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Just curious Puppy, whats the local sentiment to GM corn?

puppypaws
06-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Just curious Puppy, whats the local sentiment to GM corn?

The farmers love it and people are not protesting with concerns. There does not seem to be a problem in the US, but other countries seem in opposition.
What do you know about the situation, and for people that don't know what the abbreviation GM means, it is "genetically modified".

Downunder Bob
06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Believe me I'm no expert, but I have heard that some EU markets could be jeopardized due to GM crops.
Locally we have some GM cotton and I read the other day that Roundup Ready soybean is not far off.
We are a few years off them in the industry I'm in (sugar cane). But I think the way the US has embraced GM technology, it probably won't be long before the GM revolution whether for the good or for the bad becomes more prominent this country.

Green King
06-28-2009, 10:06 AM
we have a new woods dealer here! I am going to try out a 37hp 72" with the tunnel ram deck on it! Looks nice I will post after using it!

nosparkplugs
06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Our world has more than enough food to go around right now, Politics, money, wasting of food, and control play a key role in food shortage's

Heck the government pays farmers not to plant crops????

With GM crops their are still risks that have not been fully understood yet, the high cost of food has increased the appeal of GM crops. New strains of Bacteria could destroy the entire worlds food supply is one dome's day scenario if we went to 100% GM food supply. When you start messing around with Cloning or Genetic modification their are risks. Things are set in motion for a reason, lets not play GOD

Believe me I'm no expert, but I have heard that some EU markets could be jeopardized due to GM crops.
Locally we have some GM cotton and I read the other day that Roundup Ready soybean is not far off.
We are a few years off them in the industry I'm in (sugar cane). But I think the way the US has embraced GM technology, it probably won't be long before the GM revolution whether for the good or for the bad becomes more prominent this country.

puppypaws
06-28-2009, 12:43 PM

What would put them into jeopardy? We have been using Roundup ready soybeans for many years and the only problems are some of the tougher broad-leaf weeds are becoming resistant to Glyphosate. This is one of the reasons I also applied preemergence broad-leaf and grass control as I always have in conventional corn. What people will see with Roundup resistant corn; is when they plant soybeans the following year, there will be volunteer corn that is resistant to the Roundup used as chemical control in the soybeans. Volunteer corn is the worst water and nutrient sucking weed you can have in a soybean field. This is why you must be very knowledgeable of your chemical combinations to stay in front of this problem.

Downunder Bob
06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
There are some countries in Europe and Asia that aren't as accepting to GM foods. Fibre is a different story.
Its not entirely a crop management thing, it comes down to peoples preferences I guess and if the hysteria surounding GM foods gains momentum all be it for lack of knowledge or whatever, in a country that exports roughly 90% of what it grows, it means some tough decisions for Australian farmers.

puppypaws
06-28-2009, 06:23 PM
There are some countries in Europe and Asia that aren't as accepting to GM foods. Fibre is a different story.
Its not entirely a crop management thing, it comes down to peoples preferences I guess and if the hysteria surounding GM foods gains momentum all be it for lack of knowledge or whatever, in a country that exports roughly 90% of what it grows, it means some tough decisions for Australian farmers.

The unknown is very upsetting to large numbers of people, yet they take medicine everyday not knowing what effects it actually has on their bodies.
I can almost guarantee that medicine prescribed by doctors on a daily basis, causes more side effects, deaths and abnormalities in people, than GM crops ever would.

nosparkplugs
06-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Speak for yourself on the Medicine issue, their will always be a small percentage of the world population that will take medicine prescribed buy doctors without asking what or why. Surly you do some research before you take a pill:laugh: Geeze look at the research you do on these ZTR's:dizzy:

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Island of Svalbard, is a total waste of time & money too:waving:

The unknown is very upsetting to large numbers of people, yet they take medicine everyday not knowing what effects it actually has on their bodies.
I can almost guarantee that medicine prescribed by doctors on a daily basis, causes more side effects, deaths and abnormalities in people, than GM crops ever would.

Sammy
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Too bad you did not get any close up action shots of that Woods.
Was there a reason why not ?