PDA

View Full Version : is worth hiring a sales rep

philboudreault
06-18-2009, 08:34 PM
is it worth hiring a sales man to do some of the door to door and what would you pay?

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2009, 09:51 PM
what does your business plan entail???

philboudreault
06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
the way i see it is as follows, i'm targeting older neighborhoods where there is less competitors, versus new developments where if u close your eyes and throw a rock u hit a landscaper. so since i'm the one doing the work i can really only do the estimates for the neighbors and drive by inquires. I have a guy or two to help me out but they are to green to be left alone on the job so what i'm hoping for is a person to go door to door and talk to clients, show them my product and jobs that i've done, sign some contracts and worst case call me to do the estimate. i'm willing to train a newbie from scratch (scary prospect). i'm sort of limited on resources, yet i'm will to lose some cash to pay the sales rep to sign a contract i would not normally have the chance to see. what do u think.

Top Dog Pavers
06-19-2009, 07:33 AM
It can be worth it...Its a number's game so more customers you guys can see the more jobs you can possibly get. usally 6% commision only plus gas allowance.

steve5966
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Should you hire a salesman? No. Untill you have qualified employees that can work alone or multiple crews, your salesman will never be able to earn enough money. A decent sales guy will bury you in a short time and then you'll be preventing him from earning a living. You need to be able to handle the work before you get the work.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Should you hire a salesman? No. Untill you have qualified employees that can work alone or multiple crews, your salesman will never be able to earn enough money. A decent sales guy will bury you in a short time and then you'll be preventing him from earning a living. You need to be able to handle the work before you get the work.

Good pont, but I've been kicking around the idea as well only using a retired guy. With a retiree you might be able to slow or speed up the sales at least.

philboudreault
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
its a case of need more to get more more labour for more work. so far i work alone with a newb or two to carry bricks but mostly ... i do everything so... i don't know ...

bigslick7878
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
No one can sell your product like YOU.YOU know your product,know what it takes to complete a job and have it sustainable for a long period of time.There are so many facets to the hardscape industry I know I wouldnt trust anyone to try to explain it all to a potential customer.

This "salesperson" would also need to know a LOT about whatever service you are providing to sell it successfully.You cant just pull any old salesman and think he is going to be able to explain all the different materials and ways to go on a project.

If you can find someone who wants to work on commission only I would do it but never would I pay someone regardless of sales.

PatriotLandscape
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Not to sound harsh but you are not big enough for a salesman to make any money off of. If you think of your average week two guys can generate 4-7k gross sales in hardscaping which would mean your salesman needs to sell 200k'ish to fill a year. he would sell your year in a month. I'd say 3 crews of construction is were you need another saleperson short of that the owner is always the best salesman.

philboudreault
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
so what then .. hire more experienced crew and spend more time on the road door to door?... great answers so far by the way guys i appreciate ... very much.

philboudreault
06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
so what then .. hire more experienced crew and spend more time on the road door to door?... great answers so far by the way guys i appreciate ... very much.
i guess i just thought that if i got a sales guy it would help kick start my thing. help fill some holes....

PatriotLandscape
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
get your crew to produce better work so you can work ON your business and not IN your business. you are the best salesman

philboudreault
06-26-2009, 08:43 PM
right on man ..i see that one day i will have to move away from the hands on to the business end ...i like that... not in but on...good advice....