View Full Version : How many cuts a year for Zoysia In Florida?
I have to quote a job in the morning and I have a few questions about Zoysia. I have never really cut the stuff before and want to get my ducks in a row. The customer commented on how the last guy was cutting it too low. What height are you guys in FL cutting it at? She also said it should only need to be cut twice a month this time of the year. I don't see how that is possible with all of the rain we have been getting. How often are you cutting? How many cuts per year? Thanks for your help.
06-19-2009, 04:39 AM
During the growing season, it needs to be cut once a week. Also, the correct way to mow zoysia is with a reel mower at 1/2-3/4". If it looks bad from being cut "low", that is what happens when it is being done with a rotary mower.
06-19-2009, 09:58 PM
1. Low maintenance lawn - nicknamed "EZ" lawn. It grows slower, needing only to be cut every 7-14 days. Maintain between 1-2" (1" is optimal). Heights above 2" will reduce quality. Cut with a sharp blade standard rotary mower. Never cut more than 1/3 of the total length of the blade. EMPIRE Zoysia prefers a mower that bags the clippings.
2. Due to its deep massive root system EMPIRE Zoysia can survive on one third of the water that St. Augustine does, which is a major plus, because Tampa municipality has frequently restricted watering - Ť currently it's once a week.
3. EMPIRE Zoysia has rapid injury recovery after drought.
4. EMPIRE Zoysia was discovered in hot humid Brazil. It does well in heat and humidity.
5. EMPIRE Zoysia is weed resistant due to it's tight mat and strong, thick, deep root structure that has a reputation to stand up to invading grasses and weeds. It's called EMPIRE because of its dominance.
6. EMPIRE Zoysia is ideal for kids to romp and play ball on. It's planted in parks for its excellent wear tolerance, eye catching dark green color and soft-to-the-touch feel.
7. EMPIRE Zoysia looks like a beautiful lush soft inviting carpet that will greatly enhance the beauty of one's home.
8. EMPIRE Zoysia is susceptible to billbugs which are easy to detect and treat with Sevin from Wal-Mart.
06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Around here nobody has zoysia, but the people who do are major pita's when it comes to their maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device
06-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Since I have been in business, 3 years. I have never seen a Zoysia lawn. Only the 3 basic lawns and actually the Bermuda lawns have all been by accident being taken over from injury/stress to the St. Augustine or Bahia.
I would not have a clue what to tell you with the stuff other than I have read that it is super invasive!
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.