PDA

View Full Version : Best Work Hours in 95F Southern Heat

John_99_2007
06-18-2009, 11:18 PM
What work hours do you find most productive in summer heat? It will now be 95+ for the rest of summer. Do you start early/end early or work mornings and evenings with a big 2-4 pm break?

marcuslawnguy
06-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't know your mower set up but I run my scags as early as 7 or 8 and try to be done by 1 or 2 with a extremely tight efficient customer route. Just depends on how many hours you need to work a day. but definetely early mourning most people start getting stupid hot during 12-4 so why not try to be done by then. just my 2 cents. and if you have some walkends or extra little side jobs well you got some room to take on some extra. Remember the golden hours are 7-12 after that well it may depend on the worker. lol

John_99_2007
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Do you have any problems with noise starting residentials at 7am?

unkownfl
06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I start my first mow at 8 and end at 7 atleast 3 days a week the rest from 8 till noon. Alot of my customers want there **** cut before the weekend and not after the weekend. Some of them dont care.

VelociRaptor
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Alabama humidity will kill ya, 12 noon to 4pm is not the most pleasant.

corey4671
06-18-2009, 11:52 PM
9PM to 6AM

Edmonds Lawn Service
06-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I sometimes take 12 to 1:30 or 2 for my lunch and that gives a little break from the heat.

John_99_2007
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Does anyone take long midday breaks(1-4) to beat the heat?

topsites
06-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I've tried it every which way...
First there ain't but so much work in this heat anyhow, that's the good news.

It has also been my experience, the hottest hours of the day are from 12 noon to 2p.
Thou from 11a to noon it ain't exactly cool either, then at 2p it's as hot as it's going to get.
You will not find me working outside during those hours on hot days, no way, no how.

I found the morning-to-noon deal the one I liked the least, although it is the coolest time of day but the entire time I'm
wearing down it keeps getting hotter and hotter and I feel like I'm walking up a hill that keeps getting steeper...
Plus, the real reason, I'm no morning person.

If I don't have too much work, I don't even head out of the house until 2.
And I get to the customer's house it's hotter than hell but I'm fresh and ready,
then as I wear down it starts to cool off, by 3pm the edge is off the heat.
Then I work until dark.

I'll take mornings to do maintenance thou.

Other times I start around 9 and work till 11, then take a break.

Does anyone take long midday breaks(1-4) to beat the heat?

All the time, 11-2 here thou, back in the old days I might have parked the truck under a tree and went snoozing,
nowadays I usually head home and if I left the house by 4 it would be too late.
I leave by 2 it's 2:30-2:45 by the time I get to the first house, usually, thou I've left as late as 3 before, 2 to 2:30 works better for me.
Another reason to mow first LOL
Shoot, 1 decent size lawn later it's 3:30-4 anyhow.

I guess I prefer evenings. :p

bohiaa
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Do you have any problems with noise starting residentials at 7am?

Living in Houston, you should be used to it by now.

you will have to check the laws all citys have diffrent codes. here in Bellville/Brenham it rule is 6:00 AM.

we start at 7:00 am. cutting grass that is.
Durring this time we work 10 to 12 hrs a day, NO weekends.
as you know there are too many people moving around durring Sat/Sun, and people are at there homes/Businesses, depending on what type of Business.

on high humid days it's NOT unuseual to go through 7 to 10 shirts. and 3 to 4 pair of pants.
most of the guys Just cant work in dripping wet clothes. it's very bad for the skin.

there's no use in making 2 or 3 trips somewhere. suck it up.

kaferhaus
06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
The commercial crews start cutting grass at 6AM and are usually back at the shop at 2:30.

Residential crews have it rougher, they start cutting at 7:30 and are usually back by 4PM.

We're about as far south in AL as you can get and today's heat index is 107. The humidity is almost unbearable and will be until September.

June through Sept is our busiest time of year due to folks wanting summer only service or folks that have special projects that they wont' due themselves because of the heat.

We always pick up a bunch of seniors who like to take care of their own place but during this time of year they simply can't endure the heat. It's also when we usually lose some of the new guys who find they just can't work in these conditions.

About the only thing we've found that even helps a little is we have extra coolers on the trailers with towels in them. The guys keep them damp with ice water and wrap them arond their necks.

We have a ice machine at the shop (250lbs per day) and they'll be pretty much emptying it every morning.

VelociRaptor
06-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Told ya, Alabama humidity will kill ya.

John_99_2007
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Bohia-

Do you prefer to take short breaks and a lunch during the day or do you just find a pace you can maintain for 10-12 hours?

traman
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
basic day is 7am to 2 pm with no break,seat time in the truck with air on is when i drink plenty of fluid and recharge.the best thing you can do is change your shirt and socks every 2 hr. and use baby powder. its like a mini shower. gets my 54 yr old butt through the day. heat index here has been in the 100 also

LuvMyFerris
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Just finished my yard, started @ 9, finished around 10:30, you guys have it rough down here.
Listening to the news update and the heat index is already over 100 degrees!!! :dizzy:
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/o/todbnla/misc%20037.jpg

topsites
06-19-2009, 01:41 PM
One thing I learned that helps, on these Ztr's with the black seats...
Anytime the Z just sits, whether on the trailer or in someone's yard I flip that seat into the UP position,
just like if I was working on the engine.

Why because it keeps the sun from beating straight down on it, a lot cooler when I have to sit down to get ready to use it.

Then I am thinking...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330729_200330729

LuvMyFerris
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
One thing I learned that helps, on these Ztr's with the black seats...
Anytime the Z just sits, whether on the trailer or in someone's yard I flip that seat into the UP position,
Why because it keeps the sun from beating straight down on it, a lot cooler when I have to sit down to get ready to use it.
Then I am thinking...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330729_200330729

Agree on the seat, ouch!!!
Me too on the top but a hard version http://www.mowercanopies.com/mower%20gallery.html not much more than the soft top too...

topsites
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Agree on the seat, ouch!!!
Me too on the top but a hard version http://www.mowercanopies.com/mower%20gallery.html not much more than the soft top too...

The only reason I haven't bought one is I'm afraid I'd tear it up on a tree limb.

mobileboy
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Kafer,

I didn't buy an old JD 214 from your last fall did I?

If you don't mind me asking, how do you keep from rutting our local soils during the rainy times with the ZTRs? I ditched my Hustler for this very reason.

Also, who do you prefer here in town for your hand helds? Wilson Dismukes? Mobile tractor? Southern pride? I like most of them, but the guys at one little mower shop on Cottage Hill Road have rubbed me the wrong way twice now. :cry:

See you around!

mobileboy
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
that was supposed to "from you last fall"

kaferhaus
06-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Kafer,

I didn't buy an old JD 214 from your last fall did I?

If you don't mind me asking, how do you keep from rutting our local soils during the rainy times with the ZTRs? I ditched my Hustler for this very reason.

Also, who do you prefer here in town for your hand helds? Wilson Dismukes? Mobile tractor? Southern pride? I like most of them, but the guys at one little mower shop on Cottage Hill Road have rubbed me the wrong way twice now. :cry:

See you around!

Never owned a JD 214

Tire pressure and skilled operators. If it's really wet we use the 42" bobcats as they weigh less than 1,000 lbs.

Wilson Dismukes (I've known them for 40yrs) and American equipment in Theodore. Southern Pride runs a LCO. I don't spend money with "dealers" that are trying to compete with me. I do buy quite a bit from the place next door though (JD landscapes), fert and the like.

The little shop on Cottage Hill.... I know exactly where it is but I've never been in the place. Looks like it's a shade tree operation too me and would be hard to get into and out of (parking) anyway.

And to answer your PM, I know the guy you're talking about and no that's not me either.

tjlco
06-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I agree, I am cutting by 730 at the latest, and cut till 4ish. If I am not cutting by 730-800 I feel late and I'm in a bad mood all day...lol. And no going home for a 2 hour break or working till dark, I want to be home for the 6 o clock news....lol

HOOLIE
06-19-2009, 10:07 PM
It sucks all day long :laugh: Really no way to 'beat the heat' Midday at least, the humidity is a bit less than in the early AM or late in the day.

ed2hess
06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
It is a 8 - 9 hour work day for our crews starting at 7:00 and with a very short lunch break. When it settles into 100F we will go to a 6:00 start. I mow close to where all the companies stage from and they are coming in around 3:00 to 4:00.

mobileboy
06-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Kafer,

Good info. I like Ann at American! She's very easy to deal with. I rented one of their Dingos last year, and not 3 hours into my job a hub broke. She had a tow truck out there in 30 minutes and a replacement hooked up to my truck that afternoon. Good folks!

I knew the guys at Southern Pride when I had my Hustler, and they are great. Straight-shooters for sure, but I understand your stance on the competition.

Can you believe all of the fly-by-night guys running around this summer!? I swear there are four at every intersection. I guess when a job is lost a "landscaper" is born!

Saty cool, and see you around town (even though I don't know who you are! lol.) Peace!