PDA

View Full Version : Quality of cut ... BOP [Quick] mowers vs. Wright Standers of similar deck size?

Exact Rototilling
06-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm looking for some input on users who have used BOTH mowers for fair comparison.

Wrights are faster from what I hear so they can tend to out run the blade tip speed. There is no Wright Dealer in my area so no I can't demo one to compare myself.
:waving:

brucec
06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I HAVE OWNED both quality of cut very similiar in almost all conditions. Very good.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Wright stander is head and shoulders above any BOP.
I know this is going to spark debate, but BOP doesn't seem like a mower I would trust to use 12+ hours a day to make a living off of.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I know this is going to spark debate, but BOP doesn't seem like a mower I would trust to use 12+ hours a day to make a living off of.

Do you own a Quick? I would put the quality of cut of a Quick against any mower out there. Stripes awesome. It is my primary mower for lawns 5k sq ft up to 1/2 acre. 2nd year, am pleased as pie with it.

brucec
06-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Why is it when you mention BOP or Bad Boy it brings out all the mental midgets? If you have never used one or seen one your comments are useless, thanks for trying to contribute though. You probably thought you were helping, I guess it's the thought that counts.

Greg78
06-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I own a Quick 32" it cuts very good. I have not owned a Wright but I see about 30 a day down here. They are real popular with the guys that do the malls, shopping centers and medians. They leave a great cut to.

For what we use the Quick for ( gated back yards ) it is perfect. For a primary mower I would go with Wright.

willretire@40
06-19-2009, 07:46 AM
BOP has a slightly better cut but the Stander is better over all. We cut 1/4 acre lots or smaller.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Why is it when you mention BOP or Bad Boy it brings out all the mental midgets? If you have never used one or seen one your comments are useless, thanks for trying to contribute though. You probably thought you were helping, I guess it's the thought that counts.

Haha
No one mentioned bad boy
Mental midget?
Theres no need for name calling..
And I have used one actually,
We bought one and sent it back, there's no way it would have stood up to our punishment.
If your a true landscaper, who mows a lot of lawns, and uses these things day in and out, then there's not even a question of what one is a true machine.

Why do you think one wright is as much as 2 bop's?
you get what you pay for.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
A picture is worth the thousand words I could waste trying to explain
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/sativahybrid024/wright.jpg

jameson
06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Given perfect conditions, the Quick will deliver a better cut (not by a mile necessarily, but to my discerning eye, it's noticeable). And, given poor conditions, both will spit out clumps and pack the deck with grass, but the Wright, with its deeper cutting platform will be able to struggle along further without needing the deck to be cleaned. (But, given those same poor conditions, a Wright Stander will rut, while the Quick will simply glide over the same turf)

WHIPPLE5.7
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
My Quick works great for picking up power raking thatch, mowing DRY and SHORT grass, and picking up leaves. Mowing wet tall grass with the Quick is a joke. It leaves stringers everywhere and needs to be doublecut which is a waste of my time. Also if in taller wetter grass you need to side discharge only as mulching plate and bagger clog badly. I'm sure you know this since you already own one. Its pretty much completely pointless to use the sulky because if try to mow at any faster than about 3 mph it leaves stringers and at 5 mph it misses 50% of the lawn. As a Quick owner I'm quite certain a Wright would be better mainly because of the 2-blade deck. The 3-blade 36 deck fails to let grass discharge properly. If someone came out with a set of blades that was triangular(3sided) per blade it may drastically improve it since there would be 33% more blade contact.

Exact Rototilling
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
So the perfect mower for smaller properties would be Wright stander type mower 32", 36" and maybe a 40" or 44" that weighs just a tad more than BOP mower but had the damp tolerant cutting deck like a Toro turbo force but priced at only $1000 more than a Quick 44 dually....but doesn't rut up the grass like a Wright.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Haha
No one mentioned bad boy
Mental midget?
Theres no need for name calling..
And I have used one actually,
We bought one and sent it back, there's no way it would have stood up to our punishment.
If your a true landscaper, who mows a lot of lawns, and uses these things day in and out, then there's not even a question of what one is a true machine.

Why do you think one wright is as much as 2 bop's?
you get what you pay for.

I am sure there are guys on here that would use their Quick's as much or more than you do. Ask some of the big dogs what they think of their Quicks, esp. the Dually.

ed2hess
06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
So the perfect mower for smaller properties would be Wright stander type mower 32", 36" and maybe a 40" or 44" that weighs just a tad more than BOP mower but had the damp tolerant cutting deck like a Toro turbo force but priced at only $1000 more than a Quick 44 dually....but doesn't rut up the grass like a Wright.

The Wright Sentar 36" has very wide tires compared to the smaller 32" Wright units and I don't see much difference between the Wright and a 36" Scag dually or a Snapper 36" dually. We intermix these units on various trucks. You didn't ask about long term reliabilty but that Wright is almost built as heavy as the Scag.......a unit that will take 500 hrs a year. But they are costly.

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
What a hilarious thread.

Wright vs Who? Bop? LMAO.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-19-2009, 08:46 PM
What a hilarious thread.

Wright vs Who? Bop? LMAO.

Exactly...

lifetree
06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I HAVE OWNED both quality of cut very similiar in almost all conditions. Very good.

Wright stander is head and shoulders above any BOP. ...

Shasta -- It looks like Bruce disagrees with you ... and for that matter, so do I !!

lifetree
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Given perfect conditions, the Quick will deliver a better cut (not by a mile necessarily, but to my discerning eye, it's noticeable). And, given poor conditions, both will spit out clumps and pack the deck with grass, but the Wright, with its deeper cutting platform will be able to struggle along further without needing the deck to be cleaned. (But, given those same poor conditions, a Wright Stander will rut, while the Quick will simply glide over the same turf)

This seems to make some sense !!

lifetree
06-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Exactly ... we're not asking for much !! :laugh: :laugh: :cool2: :cool2:

doubleedge
06-19-2009, 10:54 PM
It cuts well in dry grass, but it leaves alot of stringers when the grass is wet or tall. Also, the discharge side has a metal extention (doesn't let you get through a 36" gate btw) that digs into the ground if you are mowing an area where a hill and flat ground meet.

SKYNYRD
06-20-2009, 04:38 AM
It cuts well in dry grass, but it leaves alot of stringers when the grass is wet or tall. Also, the discharge side has a metal extention (doesn't let you get through a 36" gate btw) that digs into the ground if you are mowing an area where a hill and flat ground meet.

glad i'm not the only one who has had the chute on the bop dig into the ground. i'm no pro and can't give an opinion on any comercial mower but i love my bop and can't imagine having spent more than double to get another brand.

CFB
06-20-2009, 06:49 AM
If someone came out with a set of blades that was triangular(3sided) per blade it may drastically improve it since there would be 33% more blade contact.
That is brilliant. You should patent that. I'd buy them for sure.

leafitalawn
06-20-2009, 09:48 AM
It's next to impossible to give such a black or white answer. Before listening to any of these opinions, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples... Grass types, soild types, deck sizes...etc. Just FYI, we are cutting St. Augustine about 20-30 miles North of Houston.

We own both (32" standers, and quickies), and in ALL conditions the quickie 32" cuts better. However, the speed of the stander is unmatched and is what is used more often, unless the ground is saturated. The main problem we have with the stander is the weight of the mower/tire size ratio that will kill grass if you happen to mow in the same pattern, or if the ground is wet (major rutting, even in mildly wet conditions), OR if the grass is too dry it will kill it from breaking it off at the stolon. So, when the standers kick the bucket, I'm going to replace the whole fleet with 32" BOP duallys.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Lets get a comparison! Didnt pull out a wright becuase the grass was 6in high and it was pouring, but you get the idea:clapping: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/sativahybrid024/srag.jpg

Exact Rototilling
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
It's next to impossible to give such a black or white answer. Before listening to any of these opinions, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples... Grass types, soild types, deck sizes...etc. Just FYI, we are cutting St. Augustine about 20-30 miles North of Houston.

We own both (32" standers, and quickies), and in ALL conditions the quickie 32" cuts better. However, the speed of the stander is unmatched and is what is used more often, unless the ground is saturated. The main problem we have with the stander is the weight of the mower/tire size ratio that will kill grass if you happen to mow in the same pattern, or if the ground is wet (major rutting, even in mildly wet conditions), OR if the grass is too dry it will kill it from breaking it off at the stolon. So, when the standers kick the bucket, I'm going to replace the whole fleet with 32" BOP duallys.
The BOP Quickie 32 has the longest blades of all the BOP mowers so I wonder if this is the factor here.

As expensive as the Wrights are compared to BOP I would want a the Toro Turboforce cutting deck along with high flotation tire and or a lighter total weight.

KCfireman
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I just bought a brand new 36'' Wright. It's an awsome mower. Beats my 36" Encore in every field.

ALC-GregH
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Not necessarily wet but plenty moist and it seemed to cut just fine.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01678.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01664.jpg

Mowbizz
06-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Nice mower and nice cut! What cut height is that set at and do you pitch the front a little lower? Looks like you have 3 spacers on the bottom and 3 on top of the casters...What would the rear setting be at If I may inquire??

barlowlawncare
06-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm looking for some input on users who have used BOTH mowers for fair comparison.

Wrights are faster from what I hear so they can tend to out run the blade tip speed. There is no Wright Dealer in my area so no I can't demo one to compare myself.
:waving:

i can not comment on the bop because ive never used one or even seen anyone who uses one in my area. we cut primarily 1/4-1 acre lots in my area and we have two 60" lazers and one 48 wright stander and one xmark 36" WB and for the yards with the most obsticles or the steepest hills we use the stander almost a 100% of the time. Ours is very old and on its last leg so its very slow or we would use it even more cause everyone loves it! The stander lays down beautiful lines and has the cut quality of a walkbehind so we almost never use our WB. we are in the market for a brand new wright to replace ours and if i had the money I would get two one smaller deck and one larger and get rid of one of the lazers, they are just that awesome to use! So you can't go wrong with the wright as for the bop I have no idea never seen one

barlowlawncare
06-20-2009, 06:26 PM
That is brilliant. You should patent that. I'd buy them for sure.

im actually suprised no one has??? I would also get them for all mowers we have. I meen they have them for trimmers why not mowers??

ALC-GregH
06-20-2009, 06:33 PM
mowbizz, the back is set on 3. I haven't touched it since I got it. Haven't had the chance.
Been working 7 days a week and it's not letting up.

barlowlawncare
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM

very nice looking cut! it doesnt look as heavyduty as the wright though but who cares if it cuts nice and does what ya need it two? I love our wright stander, and i think which ever one you purchase you'll be happy

miketull8
06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a 1 year old Quick 36 Samurai, 16Hp Kaw Kai, also have a new 52" Wright RH with the 19 Hp Kaw kai....not putting anyone down, it's my personal opinion....the BOP had a few problems out of the box, 1) the front wheels were not welded to the struts well and fell off, 2) hydro cable line broke, 3) one of the spindle bearings went bad. I still only have 92 hours on the machine. Wright has had no problems yet, knock on wood. The cut with the Wright is superb, the BOP seems to leave thin lines sometimes like it doesn't completely cut where the blades meet together....and it does pack with grass very quickly. However, I do have a few accounts where I simply drive the BOP up into the back of my Silverado extended cab and drive out to those smaller gated yards and knock em out quick....by the way, did I mention there is a cab height topper on the truck? Works pretty slick and it's tucked away for no one to see. I guess in my opinion, you get what you pay for.....

lifetree
06-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I have a 1 year old Quick 36 Samurai ... the BOP had a few problems out of the box, 1) the front wheels were not welded to the struts well and fell off, 2) hydro cable line broke, 3) one of the spindle bearings went bad. I still only have 92 hours on the machine. ...

How quickly did BOP respond to each of these problems ?? Did you have to take the machine to a local dealer for support ?? If so, did BOP cover that expense ??

WJC
06-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Very true.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-25-2009, 01:07 AM

Ahhh, the Quick-type cut all us Quick owners have grown to love!

lifetree
06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Ahhh, the Quick-type cut all us Quick owners have grown to love!

I second that !!

ALC-GregH
06-25-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks.... I haven't found anything wrong so far. Cut has been good and the deck isn't clogging up. I keep forgetting my camera to get more pics. I won't have a problem with that now, I have a Palm Pre I can use. :)

barlowlawncare
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I was just thumbing thru the ferris catolog that my brother gave me here there is a dealer by his house which is only about 20miles from me. He said they have one coming out but it wasnt in the book he gave me. After looking at that book though I am really digging the ferris mowers they seem to be built like tanks! Very very nice looking mowers and super heavy duty we have two xmarks and after seeing the ferris I will defin demo one of their mowers before i buy anything else! They are pricey but you get what you pay for! Just wondering if anyone has seen/used their stander?

Ducati996
06-26-2009, 11:32 AM

sounds like you speak with no experience and really should be ignored but some would say your allowed to voice your opinion. Having both units, cant tell the cut difference between machines - they are both that good but the best part is the BOP is so much less expensive