PDA

View Full Version : Lowes?

Edmonds Lawn Service
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I am loosing to local Lowes stores dues to Lowes corp. going with a nation wide company to cut their grass at all of their stores. The store manager said that that company might subcontract it out to smaller companys like myself.

Just wanting to know if anyone here might know who the nation wide company might be?

Thanks

Lawnut101
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Brickman would be a good guess.

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 12:06 AM
This won't help much but there was a post in a thread about this a couple of weeks ago...maybe do a search.

Sorry about the news....

maybe you'll become the sub :)

It wasn't Brickman, I believe it was a Property Management company, which most likely subs there accounts out.

Edmonds Lawn Service
06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks i will search the threads. This really sucks. I am hoping i can get the subcontract.

topsites
06-19-2009, 08:54 AM
It wasn't Brickman, I believe it was a Property Management company, which most likely subs there accounts out.

Oh man, not THAT one! :laugh:

Frontier-Lawn
06-19-2009, 09:22 AM
i would say ValleyCrap maybe?

tamadrummer
06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Our local Lowes and HD both go through LCO's like water.

The HD has a new one each month and the Lowes has about 4 a year.

It has to have something to do with the way they pay or actually probably don't pay because these should be lucritive properties but no one ever makes it on them.

topsites
06-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Our local Lowes and HD both go through LCO's like water.

The HD has a new one each month and the Lowes has about 4 a year.

It has to have something to do with the way they pay or actually probably don't pay because these should be lucritive properties but no one ever makes it on them.

That happens a lot with these huge nationwide corporations, it's not just Lowe's, and it's sad.

I think a lot of it has to do with the sheer amount of work involved, the liability and the usual cluelessness,
unless it's a big company used to dealing with them types of lots, here we got solos thinking they can hack this
out but one of these stores sits on 20-50-100 acres worth of property and it goes far further than just cutting
the fifteen little islands worth of grass.

We're talking a half a million square feet or more, the half of them share the space with other shops.
Just the store itself, big warehouse like that, 100,000 square feet easy, then add up all the surrounding areas?

Most guys usually clean the parking lot, and I'm sure there's a lot more to it still but first just to CLEAN the lot...
Oh, and then comes late June and temperatures start to soaring over the blacktop.

Around here we have a company called Hy-Tech property maintenance and they usually get these contracts,
they come out in the middle of the night with lighted street sweepers and equipment I don't even know the name of,
it's a sight to behold thou looking at their operation it also looks like they're used to working long and hard for the money...

So when a big company gets a contract like this, I don't lose much sleep over it, more power to them,
really I am glad they got it so this is one phone call I won't be getting.

Just my .02

kaferhaus
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
So when a big company gets a contract like this, I don't lose much sleep over it.

Same here. A few years ago I priced some of the parking lot equipment..... even with the size of my operation and the capital that we have I decided quickly that I didnt' want to risk tying up that much money in a business that has more risk than this one already does.

Edmonds Lawn Service
06-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow, i have never had that much trouble with Lowes. I have been doing them for 2 years. The two stores really would like to keep me but they have to do it because of corp.

gusbuster
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Even though he may have been told "a nation wide company" It may be a nation wide company who hires local contractors to perform the contract for the "nation wide company".

I at one time bid a contract that involved 6 local different Home Depots. The bid was done through a "nation wide company"

Big companies just want to deal with one company that can do many things rather having a LCO take care of the grounds, Sweeper company that takes care of the lots.

Just like us, who the heck like to write a bunch of checks.

kaferhaus
06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Even though he may have been told "a nation wide company" It may be a nation wide company who hires local contractors to perform the contract for the "nation wide company".

I at one time bid a contract that involved 6 local different Home Depots. The bid was done through a "nation wide company"

Big companies just want to deal with one company that can do many things rather having a LCO take care of the grounds, Sweeper company that takes care of the lots.

Just like us, who the heck like to write a bunch of checks.

That's exactly why they do it and it usually doesn't save them any money on the "face" of it. But the administrative costs go way down. One vender instead of hundreds.

joevg
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
i have a lowes account here but we havent heard anything yet, but i am waiting now that this has come up. we have done a lot of bidding for U.S. Maintenance which must be one of those "nation wide companys" cause they are on the east coast i believe and they have us bidding on stuff in the midwest.

i would agree with all you guys tho the would rather pay one person for all the stuff, sucks for us smaller guys tho.

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
i would say ValleyCrap maybe?

Out here ValleyCrest does top notch work....unreal to tell you the truth.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Valley Crest is the parent Company of U.S. Lawns which could be a potential player on the National Level.

MileHigh
06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Valley Crest is the parent Company of U.S. Lawns which could be a potential player on the National Level.

Funny, cause I think Valley Crest does great work, but everytime I've seen a US lawns truck parked outside a property it looks like they were mowing with a tractor with a flat tire.