PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Start Your Mowing Season?

Raven
04-09-2002, 07:49 AM
This question is mainly for LCO's from Northern Ohio, Southern Michigan, and Eastern PA. I've seen a few references posted from LCO in these areas that they've been mowing for two or three weeks! Last season was the earliest I've ever had to start and my first mowing day was April 11th. This year I'm hoping I can start next week, but as the weather is just now starting to become seasonal, I'm not too sure.

I did see the first LCO of the season mowing yesterday, but this particular LCO is gaining a quick reputation as a "income generator" and is losing customers because of this rep. He was leaving ruts about 6 inches deep. It's WET !!! I got calls last mid-December from HIS customers asking why I thought he was still mowing. I doubt if I've ever had my mower started after Thanksgiving.

Most LCO's in this area base their cutting season on a 28 week season (mid-April until mid-November) and are lucky if they get it. All of my customers know they will pay for roughly 32-36 cuts a season; only because they want it mowed every 4-5 days in the spring and fall.

1MajorTom
04-09-2002, 08:09 AM
This is our 4th year, and this has been our earliest start.
Started last week mowing on April 1st, and this week we are in full rotation.
We got all our other work done in March like our aerations, clean-ups, tear outs, first step apps., etc.
We are not the only ones out cutting in our area. Lots of LCO's are out, plus even the homeowners are out cutting their lawns.
Grass cutting season is here. ;)

mdb landscaping
04-09-2002, 09:30 AM
well, im not in any of the listed areas you mentioned, but i have two spring cleanups left, and some lco's are out mowing. lawns that are in the sun already need mowing. another week or two and the grass should be growing at a good rate, especially with some fertilizer to get it going.

RYAN
04-09-2002, 10:15 AM
I have not mowed a single lawn yet but with all the rain we have had and the warm weather coming up this week I am sure I will start either late this week or early next week. I hope it holds off till next week actually since I still have some cleanups and mulching left to do. Although I definately prefer mowing to clean ups.

Ryan

johndeere455
04-09-2002, 04:58 PM
I will be starting on Wed. April 10, the fall fertilizer I put on my customers yards last fall is working well. And as for rain it hasn't quit here in 3 days.(Mansfield,Ohio)

Mark

The Wright-Way Lawn&Landscape

ohiolawnguy
04-09-2002, 05:30 PM
if the weather was a little more cooperative, we would probably have started mowing yesterday. april 8. but, as it is now, i think we will start mowing next monday.

however, we still have few cleanups to o on our larger properties, and we will be taking the mowers with us just in case they need it.

the remainder of this week will be finishing up cleanups, and fertilizing. next week. the mowing season will be full go.(as long as it doesn't snow-LOL)

BTW, we were mowing until the middle of december last year, and yes we actually were cutting grass.

weve done a few one tie cleanups this spring where people said they hadn't mowed their lawn since turkey day last fall. as if i couldn't tell. their grass was 6-8 inches tall- no joke.

The Lawn Choupique
04-09-2002, 06:02 PM
When the flounders start schooling the grass starts growing.
That's when I know it's time to start cutting grass. Just as soon as you can wade out into the gulf at night and gig a stringer of flat fish you know it is time to grease up the ole lawn equipment.

stslawncare
04-09-2002, 07:24 PM
i cut a lawn early last month when i was doing cleanups but didnt do any more until last week, just about full swing now

coldbrook landscapin
04-09-2002, 07:31 PM
here in central maine the grass is still brown.. looks like next week spring cleanups... mowing around the may 1. and finished mowing and leaf pickup around the middle of november.

sbvfd592
04-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Well I started mowen today man was it fun 72 and partly cloudy tee shirt and shorts gota love it .

P&J Lawncare
04-09-2002, 07:41 PM
The grass is ready but the ground is to soft right now, hopefully monday will be the first day.

Toroguy
04-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Its still mushy here, not dry enough for equipment yet. Looks like some clean-ups will be scheduled for next week. Typical start for schedule is May 1. I did see one crew out with leaf blowers today.

Im getting antsy...

General Grounds
04-09-2002, 08:35 PM
:blob3: alot of bluegrass over here and still quite brown, did mow 22 ryegrass lawns who where ferted by chem lawn in feb., we will be mowing all 220 next week.t

Mark
04-09-2002, 09:50 PM
I started some of my commercial in Feb, Thats what US-Lawns contracts say so thats when i first cut some bi-weekly commercial,but for the last two weeks ive been in full gear, yesterdays rain stoled my Saturday away form me. Marks Mowing Service

AK Lawn
04-09-2002, 09:53 PM
This has to be the first year i am happy to live in Alaska, since i am in school i am happ that our season does not start until April may so that i am back to ov er see the operation, ut other then that it kind of sucks to only have a season that lasts from May thru september!
AK Lawn

MuskTurfKing
04-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Starts full swing about late March early April here. Full swing now but it's been rainy. :(

Hank

wxmn6
04-09-2002, 10:00 PM
I am expecting to start mowing this weekend or early next week here.

lawnkid
04-09-2002, 10:10 PM
I didn't get anything done yet. I am hoping to start on Thursday when everything dries up after the rain. It's supposeded to be like in tr high 60's and sunny tomorrow. Us Midwest boys have really had arough spring with this weather so far. First snow, then rain and now sun. I swear it's like a revolving door.
Get goin soon though!

Kent Lawn Care
04-09-2002, 10:27 PM
well, im from southeastern to the thunb area in Michigan, my mowing season starts the week containing May 1st. the grass is still brown here, in fact we just got 2 inches of snow two nights ago, but anyways, i always figure on 28 mowing weeks, the most ive ever gotten was 32 all the way down, but 28 is my standard. in fact its still raining and two wet o even get into the yards for their spring cleanups, so those arent until week of April 15th. hopei helped, if not, sorry abou rambling on.

Ooh yea, in Michigan, we consider spring here, when the last icefisherman swims in! they are still fishing, so spring isnt here for us yet

OBRYANMAINT
04-09-2002, 10:43 PM
have mowed some here and there, mow crew goes out the rest of this week and next week begins full rotation

mikal
04-09-2002, 10:52 PM
tomarrow yeehaaa:D

larrv45390
04-10-2002, 12:43 AM
Wen.

BigJim
04-10-2002, 04:05 AM
Never stops here,we mow 52 weeks of the year:cool: