PDA

View Full Version : opinions on which mower

terryswafford
06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy thing but I need a z turn mower for a specific purpose. I have spent all week talking to dealers and they all say there mower is best suited for my needs. (go figure). Anyway I am cutting around some lakes once a month. The grass is just tough field grass. It will always be tall and some times it will likely be wet. I'm not cutting pretty yards with stripes just tough grass . So as you can see I need a tough mower to deal with this. There is also a couple of hills that i will have to deal with. The dealers that I have talked to are Exmark, Bob Cat, Scagg, Gravely. Thanks for any help .

delphied
06-19-2009, 09:30 AM
If I were mowing around a lake I wouldnt want to be sitting on anything. Same with steep hills.

terryswafford
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I have been using a z turn I know its limitations, this is the piece of equipment that I need I just need opinions on the machine that is best suited for cutting high, tough grass on rough ground . Also I was thinking of a 60 in 27 hp . would a 27 hp be enough power for thick tall stuff? Thanks.

scagmanjosh
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I cant speak for other units but the Velocity deck on a Scag will blow thru some thick grass without clogging. I have a 26hp on a 48" deck and Ive worked that 26 pretty hard in some thick stuff. If your really cutting some thick stuff I would say a 27 may not be enough for a 60. Do you need a huge deck? A 48" Velocity coupled with a 25+ HP is like a bushog. Not so sure how that 26 would to with a 60" in those same conditions. I would seriously consider a 30 or more if using a 60" or 61" deck.

exmark 1
06-20-2009, 09:52 PM
exmark lazer 08 not the next lazer it is a great machine but there i trouble with the engines

EVM
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Bobcat or Scag, everything else is garbage

ashelton
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a front deck grasshopper with a 23 hp diesel that I use for similar situations and I think that it works great. The front deck is a GREAT set up for getting close to lakes w/o having to put the wheels as close to the edge of the bank. The front deck is also a good set up for getting under fences and trees. I would however recommend stepping up on the hp for taller, wetter grass. Mine will bog down at times where our 30hp grasshopper mid mount will power right through. It also has a stabilizing feature that has performed very well on hills that I have encountered. With that being said, I have seen some pics on here of a mower( i think a scag) cutting hills that I would not feel comfortable taking my GH, or for that matter any mower.

Do not under estimate the importance of the dealer you buy from, especially if you are using for business purposes.

413golf
06-21-2009, 12:15 AM
OK,Here we go:Ive demoing the new exmarks for three weeks about 50hrs total.Love the mower design and everything about it BUT,Dont look for a machine that is made to mulch your grass into micro pieces(Exmarks)It sounds like you need something to cut some nasty grass and you don't want to spend a ton of money on a scag.Everride has the most versitile cutting range for ALOT less money,so check them out.I have 5oo hrs of tough wet nasty cutting experience and the Everride handles that grass best.Easy Exmarkers,best cut available under optimum conditions goes to Exmark but every one can't wait til the dew dries to mow.27hp Kohler will get the job done!!!!Anyway check them out!

JB1
06-21-2009, 12:18 AM
its hard to beat a craftsman lawn tractor.

taco1a2
06-21-2009, 12:29 AM
i have a kabota 331 60" and i cut a repo yard today it was up to my chin went over it @ 5" and droped it to 3" and it looks good . it did not even bog the mower down

taco1a2
06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
thats kUbota sorry