PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Advice

blakerugg
06-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Im thinking about overseeding my lawn, I could use any advice out there. From what i've heard so far, you plug aerate, seed, fertilize, and keep up on water. Am i close?

foreplease
06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Pretty close. You might add:
-don't hesitate to get some fertilizer down before you do any of the other steps-let it start to break down and work
-add power raking, vertical mowing, or slit-seeding to your plan
-buy only good seed
-wait until end of August if at all possible for much better results

Smallaxe
06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Aeration does not make a good seed bed, so only aerate if you have a specific reason.
I usually just rake over the thin areas, enough to see dirt, toss on some seed and cover with a wheel barrow load of compost. All by hand, simple and quick, as well as, effective.
Some people believe that fresh apps of NPK help the seed to germinate and grow quickly.
You want the roots to grow quickly on a newly germinated seed, not the leaf.

Slitseeders are for bigger jobs and with that investment - do it in the fall.

blakerugg
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Pretty close. You might add:
-don't hesitate to get some fertilizer down before you do any of the other steps-let it start to break down and work
-add power raking, vertical mowing, or slit-seeding to your plan
-buy only good seed
-wait until end of August if at all possible for much better results

Do you mean to fertilize a few weeks before i start the project? Also, its about 3 acres of varying-thickness grass so i'm hoping i can run something like a piece of chain link fence over it to break everything up, would this work? In addition, i'd need starter fertilizer obviously, right?

foreplease
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. It sounds like you have som kind of lawn in place already so in addition to leading the new seed you have its needs to consider. Pushing what you have along will be as easy as getting new seed up.

On starter fertilizer I can't say "obviously" but probably. If you really want to know...soil test.

My take on aeration is that as one of the steps it will help you a lot.

blakerugg
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. It sounds like you have som kind of lawn in place already so in addition to leading the new seed you have its needs to consider. Pushing what you have along will be as easy as getting new seed up.

On starter fertilizer I can't say "obviously" but probably. If you really want to know...soil test.

My take on aeration is that as one of the steps it will help you a lot.

ok, so i'm still kinda building a plan in my head....
-apply a fertilizer in early august
-aerate in mid-late september
-overseed
-lay down starter fertilizer
-run over with chain link fence
-my only concern is water, I have well water so I need to plan this really well so i dont have to do much watering, most will laugh at this and i can't beleive im saying this, but time to consult the farmer's almanac? lol

blakerugg
06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RigglePLC
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Best date to seed around here is August 15. Use only top-quality disease resistant rye-blue mixture. Try to sow seed when daytime temperatures come down below 85. Soil temp is warm so seed germinates quick. New grass shoud be visible in 10 days, rye in 6 days. Cool rainy weather of Sept is ideal for starting new grass. For best results water every day for 30 days.