PDA

View Full Version : Question on Drift

kirk1701
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Everyone knows my small problem with the garden plants clashing with the lawn being spot sprayed with 2,4-D; if not see here! (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=278073)

My question being this; I bought a new backpack sprayer this spring, first year I've used it and if you keep it pumped up with pressure it sprays at a higher velocity, just common sense.

Here's my theory and this comes from knowledge of spraying varnish with a spray gun. I build furniture and finish it by spraying the varnish on and it; in this particular field the higher the PSI the more "overspray" which is what it's called but in lawn care I'm assuming its the same thing just different word called "Drift" but for a reason. If it drifts in the wind it could kill wanted plants.

My solution, since I am "spot spraying only" if I don't pump the pressure up on the backpack sprayer would I have less drift the same as with spraying varnish the lower the PSI the less overspray?

VARMIT COMMISSION
06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
I would agree with less psi the less drift. When I spray roundup in flowerbed I just use enough pressure to get the liquid out. It is larger drop's and no drift. On solo sprayers I used to use it had a 4 way regulator on top and I always used the lowest setting. Just enough pressure for a dribble. No fine mist. Have yet to kill any ornamentals. If there is an inversion or an ester used I dont think it matters, it will kill regardless.

44DCNF
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
You can also get a cone to attach to your wand that shields an area around the spray nozzle, to reduce drift. You are right though, to keep the pressure lower and droplet size larger.

olive123
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
spraying 101: to control drift lessen the pressure (control droplet size). You can also add drift control surfactant. On some backpacks there are psi settings it makes a difference.

kirk1701
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys,

Yea olive the first backpack sprayer I got had that PSI control but it was a cheap $50 sprayer, the straps broke the first time I used it so took it back to Lowe's and opted for the $90 one instead (Solo) but you'd think it would have that PSI control the same as the cheaper version :confused:

Nope, purchase that separately go figure :laugh:

Anyhow, this looks like it might actually be the solution to the problem :cool2: