PDA

View Full Version : Trusting trailer hitch

igotdiesel2
06-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I was involved in a rear end collision last week. A 2007 Malibu hit me and shoved his hood under my hitch. Hit it so hard that he also scratched my bumper. My truck is a 2001 Dodge 2500HD 4X4. The truck sits real high. My question is: Would you trust using the hitch with no visible damage? I haven't used the truck since and the adjuster came out today to look at the damage and he said he wasn't replacing the hitch. I showed him my 16' enclosed trailer and told him that was my small trailer. Then I asked him for a written letter telling me that HIS company would be responsible for any damage if my hitch fell off. I got the new hitch. Am I wrong in wanting or not trusting the hitch now? -Jason

BrandonV
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I'd say smart move on your part.

weeble67
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I think if you were wrong the adjuster would have produced a letter. Obviously he didn't, so I guess you weren't wrong.... Just my opinion.

seabee1
06-19-2009, 05:37 PM
replacing is the smart thing to do .cheaper than not doing it and having the trailer hitch break come loose or break in front of a bus load of kid's or nun's !!!!

Gravel Rat
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I would take your truck to a frame shop and have them inspect the rear frame horns and check for cracks or twisting and general straightness.

Once your cleared there and no damage is found then buy a new hitch and make insurance pay for it. Here if you are rear ended the person rear ended you is at fault and you get to claim any damages.

If your hitch looks bent replace it. You may take the hitch off and find the holes in the frame have been ripped.

esnipe8
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Its always funny with insurance adjusters.... as soon as you put the responsibility on their shoulders, cutting the check is not an issue.

smart move

Danscapes
06-19-2009, 10:09 PM
You did the right thing.:clapping:

And just a little reminder about our "friends" the insurance adjusters. They get paid bonuses based on less claims paid out.:nono:

TPnTX
06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Adjusters are dogs and I treat them that way.

igotdiesel2
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
This adjuster was a d*ick. He was ALL kinds of mad when I told him I wasn't pulling my trailers with that hitch. -Jason