PDA

View Full Version : How to bid on commercial property?

jr_golf
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Looking to bid on a couple of jobs and was wondering how everyone bids on these type properties. The big one is a manufacturing plant with 25 -28 acres with not too much trimming. My question is, do most of you charge by the acre or the hour? And how much for either? Thanks for all of the info.

doug1980
06-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Well before you get told the standard answer....I'll try to point you in the right direction. First it is no different than "bidding" on a residential property. Figure out your operating costs, time to do the job, etc. Then you will be close to where you need to be. No one here will be able to answer your question better than you since you know what you need to have to make money. Hope this helps.

kaferhaus
06-19-2009, 06:20 PM
With that much turf I hope you have big, fast equipment. If you don't, the guy that does will win the bid every time. I haven't seen the property but usually if there's more than a few acres that actually has to be cut and the job is being put out for quotes a Solo has very little chance of getting the job or if he does he won't last long before he realizes he's losing money everytime he cuts it.

We do a lot of industrial accounts and most are done with batwing mowers 15ft and 72" ZTRs except right up around the offices. Most of these large accounts I have 2 crews working them.

If there's a lot of turf, that's what you'll be competing against.