PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own Great Dane Super Surfer 52"

Greg78
06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Looking at a new Super Surfer 52" with 23 HP Kawasaki. How well do they cut? I see quite a few around here. Any opinions?

genesis215
06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
I have a 2003 52" Great Dane Super Surfer with a 22HP Kohler. I do NOT like the cut. It's very clean and super smooth, but doesn't make stripes at all. Now, if you are looking at a new one, it will have an excellent cut with excellent stripes, because the new ones are made by EverRide instead of John Deere. I like the stand-up position of to operator a lot. Since I am used to running a sensitive-control walk-behind, the steering controls seem to be somewhat insensitive, but some guys might like that. It won't throw you so easily as a ZTR or walk-behind going around a corner. Mine does GREAT on hills. You can go full-speed across a 15 degree slope easily.

I think you will like the newer version of the Super Surfer because it's a lot better than mine. I'd say go for it.

Greg78
06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Good information. I'm not worried about stripes at all. Our grasses don't stripe to well.

We were looking at either some 2008 left over Exmark Lazers or the next Lazer and our Exmark dealer also has Great Dane. I like the compactness of the Super Surfer over a typical zero turn.

genesis215
06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Yes, the Super Surfer is wonderful for it's compactness. Only about 5 ft. long, so you could fit 3 of them on a 16' trailer! The Super Surfer with the newer deck would be great, like the one you are looking at. Also the 23HP Kawasaki is one of the best engines out there. I would recommend it over a ZTR, because it's nicer to use, parts are alot cheaper, and they don't weigh as much.

Greg78
06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Anybody else?

Bunton Guy
06-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I have had great luck with the two we had. Mine striped well
was not nearly as fast wide open as our Z-riders but on a residential property it could smoke our heavier Z's . I had a 48 & 52 surfer....both 03 models.

When it comes to small to midsize residentials with alot of turns and beds....nothing can beat a standup unit. We're actually shopping for another one

Thomas_e102
06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I have a 2007 48" I do like the cut but like said it does not stripe well at all. Very quick. The ride is a bit hard on the feet and ankles. Get a 52. The 48 deck hangs off to the left said. Rear tires are 52". 1/2 deck adjustments are a pain some times. Want to buy mine. Going to buy a wright next time.

cutedge
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I currently don't own a Great Dane but I have had one and I absolutely loved it! The cut quality is very good and they are heavy duty machines. The new ones are built by Ariens, not Everride and are no different than when John Deere owned them.

slplow
06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't own one but I have heard that they cut way better than a wright stander. Are a lot less money. I all so was told told the the dane does not ride as good as wright stander and the wright is a little better on the hills

Greg78
06-21-2009, 11:36 AM
. 1/2 deck adjustments are a pain some times.

Can you elaborate a little more on this?

hackitdown
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a 48" Super Surfer. It is quick and easy. Forward speed is as fast as my 52" Lazer HP. It was pretty cheap considering how productive it is. I can spin it around on the trailer, and blast down the ramp. It cuts fine.

But...The rear tires are too wide for the deck size, so cutting a tight circle just doesn't work, the tires are too wide. Maybe the 52" is better. Also, almost no stripes. And it positively sucks on hills.