PDA

View Full Version : need help with petunias

minix
06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I just planted $700.00 worth of wave petunias for a home owner and now the flowers look good but the leaves are turning brown and dieing. What did I do wrong and how can I fix them?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/76imp/Web%20site%20Pics/more%20web%20pics/Scottspics015.jpg

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
When you first plant flowers you have to water them daily for the first 2-3 weeks. Also fertilizer is the second most valuable next to water. If you dont have a fertilizer spray tank on your vehicle then I recommend a slow release granular that you can purchase from Lowes etc... It is made by miracle grow and a great alternative to liquid spray fert

Az Gardener
06-19-2009, 10:14 PM
If the old leaves are turning brown its too much water. If the new leaves are wilting and turning brown its not enough water. If the whole plant is wilting and browning out in a brief time period say1-2 days you have a fungus. To confirm fungus pull up a plant and pull on a root, if the outer sheath slides off like your sleeve off your arm it is fungus. If it breaks off check another root or two. If you have a fungus you need to quickly get down some Subdue and Banrot. Those two fungicides will knock out most fungus.

mdlwn1
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Mine have declined since planting due to it raining every frikkin day. Wave petunias like it slightly biased toward the dry side. If you havent had a lot of sunlight, your just gonna have to wait it out. As far as fungus goes, we usually dont see a problem (needing treatment) until they have grown together and are very thick and dense.

mdlwn1
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I would also add that we run into catepillar (or worm)problems later in the season They seem to love petunias. As soon as you see little holes in the flowers..its time to treat as they will get bad VERY quickly. They're tiny and green and hard to find.

Think Green
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Minix,
I completely agree with all the other responses, those color or heat wave petunias do not like wet feet of any sort. The leaves will get fungus fusarium blight real easy.
The plants like less water and more heat to match their unique name.
We planted these things by the thousands here and within a month and a half, the things started withering and dying after the watering systems kicked in. We even lessened the water in those areas, but when the disease took a hold of them--they died.
It has been our experience that after the old foliage had died, the new foliage took some time to recover but the plants never recovered to the point of blooming any more.
All their energy was used in growing and not for flowering. We were using 12/6/6 with minors and slow release nitrogen. It didn't make a hill of beans in the end....
The last 3 years, we discontinued buying the petunias because the intensive heat and humidity here has doubled........they do not like the weather changes.

minix
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
The day after we planted we got 4 in of rain and it has rained at least 2 times a week for the past few weeks. When it wasnt raining the had the sprinklers on.

White Gardens
06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, I agree about the water.

If you've guys had the rain we've had then I feel your pain.

We just started getting some hotter temps and all my plants are looking better. Hopefully it will dry out some now.

GracesLandscaping
06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
i water my wave petunias (in pots) once a day even thoguh we are getting bad storms about 3-4 times a week. yesterday i missed watering them and they looked like CRAP!.... so im not understanding the too much water thing but by no means am i saying you are wrong. mine are also in full HOT sun from 8am-630pm...

GracesLandscaping
06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
oh yea one other thing... if it is not a well drained soil, they could be staying wet from water... i just foiund out this was the problem with two small trees i just planted in my backyard...

White Gardens
06-23-2009, 01:57 AM
i water my wave petunias (in pots) once a day even thoguh we are getting bad storms about 3-4 times a week. yesterday i missed watering them and they looked like CRAP!.... so im not understanding the too much water thing but by no means am i saying you are wrong. mine are also in full HOT sun from 8am-630pm...

Your petunias are probably root bound in the pots by now. That's why they need more water than ones planted in the ground.

Make sure you have a good, fairly deep saucer under the pots to hold water and they'll wick it up during the day, and you'll be watering less.

GracesLandscaping
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Your petunias are probably root bound in the pots by now. That's why they need more water than ones planted in the ground.

Make sure you have a good, fairly deep saucer under the pots to hold water and they'll wick it up during the day, and you'll be watering less.

havent really put that into any thought... the plain ones have been in a large pot about a month-month and a half. the wave ones have been there maybe 2 weeks at max. they were the bigger ones not the little ones. ill give that saucer thing a try i know ive got one behind the shed somewhere that will help esp like this week when my girlfriend is gone... shes the whole reason they're there anyways lol