PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is into lawn care

minix
06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
In my area it seems everyone is mowing lawns. There are plumbers, roofers and contractors that are now running around with Lawn Mowing on there trucks . If these guys where good at there 1st job they wouldnt need to go cut grass. I see a local plumber doing alot of yards and im wondering what they will do with there lawn clients when the economy gets better. I have seen more trucks running around with a rider and even a van with a mower hanging out the back of it.A guy that works for me said his neighbor just started a Lawn Care Buiss and I should stop buy and check out his truck and when I stopped over I about **** my pants it was a 83 ford F150 and it was lettered up with a black marker and said "We will beat any price" Its kinda funny in a way I guess.

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
People are just trying to eat. He might have 5 kids and a bunch bills to pay. Who knows, if your doing a good job at a decent you shouldn't need to worry. :)

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
They wont last anybody can cut grass... not to many can run a legit business though!!

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
They wont last anybody can cut grass... not to many can run a legit business though!!

Your right, a lot of fly-by-nighters will quit when the mower breaks down. But you got to start somehow, not everybody is born with a fleet of new mowers and $1 mil in contracts. :laugh:

SoGro
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
hey it sucks, understand people got to eat and have nothing wrong with new people getting into bus. But this year there are a ton of new guys going around and undercutting and driving the price down. I understand that these guys cant keep a business running at such low prices but still losing some accounts in the mean time. When I started my bus I had some years experience and kept my prices in the average range for around here. Just tell the customer that they can call me back when he goes out of business or does not show up

red12
06-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I seen a roofing company a few weeks ago pulling some pretty new looking WB

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I seen a roofing company a few weeks ago pulling some pretty new looking WB

I don't see how people can work on those roofs during the summer. Has to be 140 plus at the roof. Maybe mowing is an easyer job. :hammerhead:

Woody82986
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't really worry about these guys anymore. I sell my quality and stability. I'll still be in business next year... they most likely won't. From what I have gathered, it's a real pain in the ass for someone to find a quality LCO that can also offer stability.

lifetree
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't really worry about these guys anymore. I sell my quality and stability. I'll still be in business next year... they most likely won't. From what I have gathered, it's a real pain in the ass for someone to find a quality LCO that can also offer stability.

That's the main thing ... hang in there and you'll beat the "competition" !!

delphied
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
In my area, as Ive said before, its the well established LCO's that are bringing prices down. I also have an upstart with all old used equipment or Toro Timecutters that the punk kids running them cant make a straight stripe with. They do lawns for less than I will drop the tailgate for. They can have em. The day I manicure the lawns of 20 Condos for 300 bucks is the day I retire.

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 09:41 PM
In my area, as Ive said before, its the well established LCO's that are bringing prices down. I also have an upstart with all old used equipment or Toro Timecutters that the punk kids running them cant make a straight stripe with. They do lawns for less than I will drop the tailgate for. They can have em. The day I manicure the lawns of 20 Condos for 300 bucks is the day I retire.

I know of a couple big companys in my area that like to brag about all the jobs they do. I saw the previous years payouts and I don't know how they can do it. Maybe, they like to appear to be big time. If I can't turn a profit, I don't bid. :nono:

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-19-2009, 09:42 PM
hey it sucks, understand people got to eat and have nothing wrong with new people getting into bus. But this year there are a ton of new guys going around and undercutting and driving the price down. I understand that these guys cant keep a business running at such low prices but still losing some accounts in the mean time. When I started my bus I had some years experience and kept my prices in the average range for around here. Just tell the customer that they can call me back when he goes out of business or does not show up

Exactly, I have never seen this many lawn rigs running around town.... you can't get new work these days they are working for free almost. I saw a truck yesterday that had shoe polish on the windows that said lawns mowed $15.00 he had a push mower in the back. We lost another acct today to the bad economy it was a small yard but everyone counts these days The phone doesn't ring like before.

Are you getting any new customer calls these days?

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Exactly, I have never seen this many lawn rigs running around town.... you can't get new work these days they are working for free almost. I saw a truck yesterday that had shoe polish on the windows that said lawns mowed $15.00 he had a push mower in the back. We lost another acct today to the bad economy it was a small yard but everyone counts these days The phone doesn't ring like before.

Don't forget that a lot of people can't pay to have the lawn cut anymore. People have lost jobs and it's all they can do to make the house payment.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I no longer worry about these folks as they have actually helped me this year! Am getting calls from clients that tried these overnight wonders and they did horrible work or just quit showing up. One lady told me the extra I charge was worth it and she did not want another of these cheapos if they were free:laugh:

delphied
06-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I just had a client move out of a house big enough for 6 families to the next hood over where houses are only big enough for 4 families. They may start mowing it themselves because they really need to cut back on expenses she said. Aint life grand.

zturncutter
06-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Very few. I think people are still spending on lawn care but alot of folks are giving the work to friends and family that are hurting for money. Here in Florida their are also thousands of construction workers looking for any kind of work.

delphied
06-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Very few. I think people are still spending on lawn care but alot of folks are giving the work to friends and family that are hurting for money. Here in Florida their are also thousands of construction workers looking for any kind of work.

Are those the Mexican construction workers Florida is famous for?

ed2hess
06-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't see how people can work on those roofs during the summer. Has to be 140 plus at the roof. Maybe mowing is an easyer job. :hammerhead:

I can assure you that mowing grass or even digging irrigation trenches is a cake walk compared to roofing. We had a recent hail storm and I counted 10 crews in our immediate area. One roof a day in and out and these are the steep roofs. Oh it was 105 heat index today,.

Heavyduty1
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I can assure you that mowing grass or even digging irrigation trenches is a cake walk compared to roofing. We had a recent hail storm and I counted 10 crews in our immediate area. One roof a day in and out and these are the steep roofs. Oh it was 105 heat index today,.

I couldn't do it, I would be crying when the 2 oclock heat wave hit.:cry:

Whitey4
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I have decided to start reporting them. Here, the cost of being legal is sky high... I mean you would not belive how much it costs. Screw these guys, I have to eat too.

minix
06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I have decided to start reporting them. Here, the cost of being legal is sky high... I mean you would not belive how much it costs. Screw these guys, I have to eat too.

Best post yet. I have 3 kids and a wife that I provide for and I chose this buiss as my main income not a factory worker not a roofer not a plummer not a piece of @#$% on welfare that mowes for cash and has 2 dairy marts a dollar store and a ware house, how the hell does this happen? Im with whity4 how and who do you turn them into? I know there is alot of you guys on this site but dam why should we pay the high cost of running a buiss just to have you cut for less because you dont pay ins or wC.

newtostone
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Who do you report to in NY?