PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure on Walker Mower

Blmtlandscapes
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey guys... In the owners manual it says that the drive tires should have a psi of 15. I feel like that is really low for those tires. How strictly do you follow the psi that are listed in the manual? I think something is off with my tire pressure because one side of my mowing stripe is significantly narrower than the other side.

Jason Rose
06-20-2009, 12:57 AM
I stick pretty close to 15, 15 to 18 anyway. I use either a digital or a 'racing' type tire guage. Both are quite accurite down to a pound at lower pressures. Most car/truck tire guages don't even have markings for under 20 psi.

I can't answer about the 'stripe' issue without seeing it... On the Walkers there's really only one thing that can effect the deck, and that's tire pressure. Nothing else is adjustable, other than the height on the pins... Most mowers have half a dozen adjustments for pitch angle, and level.

dishboy
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey guys... In the owners manual it says that the drive tires should have a psi of 15. I feel like that is really low for those tires. How strictly do you follow the psi that are listed in the manual? I think something is off with my tire pressure because one side of my mowing stripe is significantly narrower than the other side.

I use the 15#, but that does not mean your deck is Level. Have you checked with a HOC tool on level concrete after equalizing all tires?

Jason Rose
06-20-2009, 01:02 AM
A. What's a HOC tool?

B. How do you level a Walker deck? Add shims to the height adjuster pins on one side?

dishboy
06-20-2009, 01:06 AM
I stick pretty close to 15, 15 to 18 anyway. I use either a digital or a 'racing' type tire guage. Both are quite accurite down to a pound at lower pressures. Most car/truck tire guages don't even have markings for under 20 psi.

I can't answer about the 'stripe' issue without seeing it... On the Walkers there's really only one thing that can effect the deck, and that's tire pressure. Nothing else is adjustable, other than the height on the pins... Most mowers have half a dozen adjustments for pitch angle, and level.

I have two model MB's (06 & 09) and a level deck is achieved at a set height take a different amount of spacers. In a perfect world this would not be the case but it is . A HOC tool is a mandatory tool IMO.

vincent1
06-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Am I the only one who has all zero flat tires on every mower

Looking Good Lawn Service
06-20-2009, 01:23 AM
the new walkers have the tire pressure upped to 20psi...something to consider

dishboy
06-20-2009, 01:23 AM
A. What's a HOC tool?

B. How do you level a Walker deck? Add shims to the height adjuster pins on one side?

Height of cut, John Deere sells a tool that they call deck leveling tool. It is a platform with a L shaped arm that pivots and has a scale in i/8 inch increments. One end of the L arm goes under the blade tip and the other outside the deck so you can read it.
I use a level pitch (spec)on Walkers mulch deck as well as my other mulching machines. On a Walker you use whatever size washer it takes to get level. In my case one machine takes a 1/4 inch more than the other machine. Bagging machines probably want a 1/8 " pitch.

Jason Rose
06-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Height of cut, John Deere sells a tool that they call deck leveling tool. It is a platform with a L shaped arm that pivots and has a scale in i/8 inch increments. One end of the L arm goes under the blade tip and the other outside the deck so you can read it.

Ahhh... I figured out HOC was height of cut later, and wondered if this was the tool you were reffering too. I've thought abut getting one, many times, but I recall the cost of those little plastic dudes being almost $50. And why is John Deere the ONLY way to get such a tool? You would think all mower manufacturers would have one available...

I've never had a walker deck that cut out of level, and since I bought a grasshopper 61" I've never had to touch the deck adjustments after the initial time, and I have almost 1,000 hours on it. When I ran dixons I had to be adjusting the deck at LEAST once a month! I don't miss those days.

I'll have to look in my walker book (2008 model) for the tire psi. I swear it is 15 or 16, not 20. It's not much difference, but I know it definately changes how the tires preform. My grasshopper says to run 9 psi in the rears. I go with 11 or 12. 9 seems to allow them to tear the turf more when turning.

dishboy
06-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Ahhh... I figured out HOC was height of cut later, and wondered if this was the tool you were reffering too. I've thought abut getting one, many times, but I recall the cost of those little plastic dudes being almost $50. And why is John Deere the ONLY way to get such a tool? You would think all mower manufacturers would have one available...

I've never had a walker deck that cut out of level, and since I bought a grasshopper 61" I've never had to touch the deck adjustments after the initial time, and I have almost 1,000 hours on it. When I ran dixons I had to be adjusting the deck at LEAST once a month! I don't miss those days.

I'll have to look in my walker book (2008 model) for the tire psi. I swear it is 15 or 16, not 20. It's not much difference, but I know it definately changes how the tires preform. My grasshopper says to run 9 psi in the rears. I go with 11 or 12. 9 seems to allow them to tear the turf more when turning.

The JD tool was only $12.00. My manual says 15
for the drives and 20 for the casters, F/R.

My decks have been level side to side but needed pitch adjustment to get 0 pitch or the mulch deck per Walkers tech.

Jason Rose
06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Guage: http://www.greenfunstore.com/John-Deere-Leveling-Gauge-for-Mower-Deck-Blade-Height_p_886.html

Only place I could drum one up online. But it's only $6.95. I think I'll see if I can order 2, then I wouldn't even have to move it from one side to the other to check level or pitch.

dishboy
06-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Guage: http://www.greenfunstore.com/John-Deere-Leveling-Gauge-for-Mower-Deck-Blade-Height_p_886.html

Only place I could drum one up online. But it's only $6.95. I think I'll see if I can order 2, then I wouldn't even have to move it from one side to the other to check level or pitch.

That's it, I own two because our Aussie wanted to see how the first one tasted.

cgaengineer
06-20-2009, 10:37 AM
On my 40" WB I changed the tire pressure from 10 psi to 15 psi when I added the tru-trak...this wasn't as much for added weight of the unit, but because of the twisting action when using the TruTrak.

If you think you have a tire problem you may consider drawing a chalk line perpendicular across tire treads and running the mower in a straight line across concrete. Watch for uneven wear. They also make tire crayons.

shop manager
07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
I have been running 20 psi in my walkers with 18x10.50-10 carlisle's... they might last a month before seperating ... I'm goin down to 15 psi to see if that helps..