PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew spreader/sprayer

TL1981
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Ok guys. You will probably get a kick out of this but I was mowing today and daydreaming as usual... idea pops in my head. Why not modify my Wright stander to spray and spread like the PG or Z spray machines? Sounds like a good simple idea. If I could do it for a few grand at most it would be far cheaper than 8k plus on another machine.

Now I don't now much about these machines so maybe its just a stupid idea but I wanted to post it and see what responses I would get and if anyone has done it. Or you can just tell me its a stupid idea and why it won't work...:dancing:

TL1981
06-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I did a quick search and see that some have done this on other machines. Do any of you have recomendations on where to get the box, booms and hoses etc.?

Grandview
06-20-2009, 06:21 AM
I think it is a dumb idea. You want a dedicated machine. You will rust out your wright stander. Figure that cost. The spreader the Z uses is around 700.00 alone.

Heidi J.
06-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I think you will end up spending way too much time and money in the long run. Z is the way to go. I just hired a new guy a few weeks ago that used to run PG's (poor guy). But he loves the new Z. Good luck if you do build this:)

turfcobob
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Mowers are designed to mow, applicators are designed to applicate. Think of it this way....A sofa sleeper is a sofa and a bed right..AND they aint for crap as a sofa and aint for crap as a bed.

buy a good unit that will last for some years and amortize it over that time and you will find that it is costing you very little per application and making you lots.

Rayholio
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Mowers are designed to mow, applicators are designed to applicate. Think of it this way....A sofa sleeper is a sofa and a bed right..AND they aint for crap as a sofa and aint for crap as a bed.

buy a good unit that will last for some years and amortize it over that time and you will find that it is costing you very little per application and making you lots.

Applicators ARE mowers that have been stripped down and rebuilt... The T3000 is a john deer tractor... I don't know what the Z started out as.. but it's obvoiusly based on a stand on..

I say go for it.. find the hill climin'est mower around, and turn it into a sprayer.. it really won't cost all that much, if you go electric..

$1000 for a good spreader, $100 for a 30 gallon tank $150 for an electric pump $100-$400 for plumbing, _ any fab work.... It probably won't look pretty... but it might be a heck of a machine!

I've often thought about building an attachment for my grasshopper to do the same..

ted putnam
06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...the Z is built on the frame of a Wright stander.

RABBITMAN11
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
You are correct!

Grandview
06-20-2009, 06:27 PM

I agree with this. The machine you come up will not be as efficient as those already on the market. Why reinvent the wheel.

TL1981
06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with this. The machine you come up will not be as efficient as those already on the market. Why reinvent the wheel.

Becasue it's fun!!! :clapping:

TL1981
06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Applicators ARE mowers that have been stripped down and rebuilt... The T3000 is a john deer tractor... I don't know what the Z started out as.. but it's obvoiusly based on a stand on..

I say go for it.. find the hill climin'est mower around, and turn it into a sprayer.. it really won't cost all that much, if you go electric..

$1000 for a good spreader, $100 for a 30 gallon tank $150 for an electric pump $100-$400 for plumbing, _ any fab work.... It probably won't look pretty... but it might be a heck of a machine!

I've often thought about building an attachment for my grasshopper to do the same..

Thanks Rayholio. I thought the design was pretty close to a stand on mower design and thats the main reason I though of the idea. As for the guy who said I'd be way more money ahead by purchasing a $8K+ machine I don't really see why when for under $2k I could mod my machine. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure that the PG and Z are much more taylored to applicating than would be a Freak-instine mower/applicator.:hammerhead:

Grandview
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Becasue it's fun!!! :clapping:

If its fun for you have at it.

TL1981
06-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Are you telling me that if a machine came out in the future that could mow and apply by 'cross breeding' the two it would be worthless? I understand that some sacrifices would probably be made for the convenience of combining the two machines but I think for some having one machine that could do both would be a benefit that would out weigh the cons.

Let me turn your sofa sleeper example around on you: Think of it this way... An SUV is a Truck and a Van right... And they aint crap for an off roader and aint crap for a van. But eeeeeeveryone has em' because they are convenient for hauling the kids around AND the weekend hunting trip.

My main point here is it would simlify things. One machine, One payment/Purchase. Thats all. :)

The only reason that scares me away is the rust thing.

Josh.S
06-20-2009, 11:12 PM
The original Z-spray was the back half of a Wright stander. L.T. Rich actually bought the back half of the wright standers and then put a sprayer/spreader front half on them. I saw one of these machines when I was demoing Z-sprays at the L.T. Rich factory.

The problem that they had was down the road they would rust out. This would be the same with the mower/spreader/sprayer hybrid, unless everything is stainless over time it will rust.

If you obviously already own the stander, and have a lot of time on your hands, I don't think it is a bad idea. But IMO when you are talking new equipment I think the Z-spray is very fairly priced.

$.02

birdturd9726
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
check out this electric spreader attachment i just came across. not a bad price either!

http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/241_jrco_attachments_spreader.html

Grandview
07-09-2009, 06:35 AM
check out this electric spreader attachment i just came across. not a bad price either!

http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/241_jrco_attachments_spreader.html

You will rust out your mower. Plus all the time wasted attaching those things and taking them off.

ZSpray Info
07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
We did use to build our sprayers off the Wright Stander from 1999-2000. We learned quickly that corrosion was a MAJOR issue. We currently cut and fab our chassis out of 304 stainless steel.

http://z-spray.com/chassis.html

We formally used electric hoppers, but switched to hydraulic hopper motors. We switched as we had problems with the rheostats.

Hogjaw
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
We started out with an atv and boom and pull type spreader.

Got into mowing and installed tank and boom on a jd ztr. Best decision I've made in a long time. Then purchased a toro mid-south, installed same spray equipment.

At the most and on a bad day, with the tank mounted on a receiver, I could slide it out, slide out the front boom in less than 5 minutes (I had everything pinned)........be ready to mow. Same time to convert back from mow to spray.

Lawns kept getting bigger, so I made another bad decision, bought 2 space savers. Should have retained the ztr/boom sprayer and bought only 1 space saver for a nurse.

Responses depend which side of the fence you stand, manufacturing/sales will say no because possibly a sale is missed. Those of us that labor in the field always look for quality improvements, plus decreasing operating cost(s).

This is certainly not meant to be negative statement for today's equipment that is dedicated to fert / spray.

You are on the right track. It is possible, feasible, and cost effective. Complete all your ground work first.

However, I would look at a pull behind spreader (due to rust). You probably already have a pusher for areas not accessible by the pull type.

I don't recommend to anyone a major equipment investment for looks, other than paint and normal equipment maintenance.

Wish you well.

Ok guys. You will probably get a kick out of this but I was mowing today and daydreaming as usual... idea pops in my head. Why not modify my Wright stander to spray and spread like the PG or Z spray machines? Sounds like a good simple idea. If I could do it for a few grand at most it would be far cheaper than 8k plus on another machine.

Now I don't now much about these machines so maybe its just a stupid idea but I wanted to post it and see what responses I would get and if anyone has done it. Or you can just tell me its a stupid idea and why it won't work...:dancing:

americanlawn
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I've thought about the same thing in past years. The idea sounds logical. In fact, it has been done by several ride-on sprayer/spreader manufactures.

Best example might be the LESCO Z-Two sprayer/spreader (we have one). Same as a zero-turn mower, but it has a 40 gallon belly tank underneath instead of a mower deck....plus it has tons of spray/spread equipment, controls, etc..

We are not in the fabrication business. Every hour lost treating properties costs us money. Smartly, we rely on experts to provide a machine specifically designed to make us money and take care of our customers' needs. We do not have the time, expertice, experience, or manufacturing capabilities to make our own spreader/sprayer.

Our business is designed to show a profit. That's why TURFCO, Permagreen, LT Rich, etc is in business. They are experts in their field (just like lawn/tree guys are in their business).

Our Z-Two sprayer/spreader is up for sale. (We recently sold both PG's as well as our 800 gallon spray tanker). Reason: Our ride-on units do a better job, and they are much faster (efficient).

Regarding corrosion: The only ride-ons that experienced corrosion were our Permagreens. I don't know about ZSprays, but none of our T3000's have any corrosion whatsoever -- been running them for 2 years.

Hogjaw
07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
AGREE!

That's why we purchased everything ready for installation.