PDA

View Full Version : Blew an oil hose on the Cummins By-pass Filter

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Man What a crazy two days I have had!!!, It's over 100 degree's here in Memphis, been cutting in this dangerous heat. I was on my way home from dropping one of my guys off, and I hear a "ding-ding-ding" look at the dash, and the "check" gauge light is ON, so I start looking at the gauge's of cause it was my oil pressure, and that was the last one I checked, anyway as you all might know I have the Amsoil Dual-Bypass Filter system on my truck, this system allows for UOA's Used Oil Analysis and virtually does away with oil changes I had over 63,576 miles on this oil when the hydraulic line blew, and sprayed the entire 3 gallons of engine oil down the passenger side of the truck in less than 3 minutes, and hosed the entire left side of the trailer to include the blowers:laugh:

I shut it down quickly once I realized what happened called, one of those big rig tow trucks to tow me & the trailer.

Keep in mind the hydraulic lines are custom length lines I made for the Dual-Bypass filter system, the stock 5.9L Cummins ISB's do not have these filter systems. I have since replaced the old hydraulic lines with new hydraulic lines with a protective sleeve that will reduce chaffing & rubbing, and have re-routed the lines around sharp parts of the frame rail. total hose length is now around 7ft.

Those doubting the Cummins durability or protective ability of AMSOIL Fully Synthetic lubricants, this incident was no doubt proof positive for me, on both debate's!! I run the Cummins engine totally dry of engine lubricant, and ran it for about half a mile in 100 degree heat towing a 12,000lb 20 ft trailer with ZERO damage to the turbo or engine,

Pics to come!!! patient's please wife has hijacked the digital camera with my pics on it:cry:, for her Myspace crap, sorry I am tired just got back from test driving it, and power washing the 3 gallons of diesel oil off it check often this weekend for a good fathers day weekend laugh on NSP:walking:.

If you don't like the Dodge/Cummins trucks fine, but at least invest in the Amsoil synthetic lubricants Don't know if conventional could have protected the engine & turbo that length of time dry, until I was able to shut it down like I did.

OH!! how some will enjoy these pics :laugh: Keep in mind the Hydraulic lines are custom length lines I made for the Dual-Bypass filter system stock 5.9L Cummins ISB's do not have these filter systems,

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 01:24 AM
What happend did you chaff a hole through the hose ?

If you use single wire hydraulic hose you shouldn't have any problems. The oil pressure is only 80 psi cold so your not dealing with big pressure. I would have used steel lines along the frame. You are loosing some oil pressure going through that much rubber hose.

Why Dodge put such a small oil pan on the 5.9s is stupid. I don't think Cummins puts that small of capacity on the engines that were used in the FL series Freighliners.

GravelyGuy
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
How much does it cost to have the oil analyzed? Do you do this to save money or for time saving?

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
OIL PRESSURE RUNS ABOVE 40 psi at all times. The Cummins likes to have a load or trailer on it all the time. The oil pressure gets to 80 psi when working the truck.

The 3rd gen engines with the common rail injection & Bosch CP3 pump does drop oil pressure with the dual By-pass system with long hoses.so you must keep the bypass filter block under the hood.

UOA is $25 with results within 24hours. The savings was enough to pay for the new hoses, and oil.

The leak was my fault the path I took to run the hoses ran the hoses over some sharp body metal under the passanger side. I did wrap the hose with a ceramic heat shield,but I was not good at protecting against rubbing&chaffing. The new hoses have a much better sleeve, and I have routed them around the danger zone.

UOA are's drawn at 20,000 mile intervals. Expect to spend $400.00 with a return on your investment with 1 season. Or calculate your yearly oil change cost divided buy the 400, and add a factor of zero oil changes unless you blow a line. I lasted well beyond my break even point.I had over 62,000 on the oil,UOA stated oil was good for continued use, their was no mileage cap.
Posted via Mobile Device

wanabe
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you drank the amsol cool aide no spark plugs! What a joke. You sit arround and brag up their products and then dump all the oil out of the truck going down the road? I just dont get it. And just so you know, I know of 2 freightliners from the local ready mix plant(cummins ISX) that were going down the road (interstate speeds) that had the oil plug fall out both times (mechanic forgot to tighten both times)and the motor had zero damage both times. And they run regular 15W40. So i dont think amsol had anything to so with you motor not locking up.

AmsoilPower
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you drank the amsol cool aide no spark plugs! What a joke. You sit arround and brag up their products and then dump all the oil out of the truck going down the road? I just dont get it. And just so you know, I know of 2 freightliners from the local ready mix plant(cummins ISX) that were going down the road (interstate speeds) that had the oil plug fall out both times (mechanic forgot to tighten both times)and the motor had zero damage both times. And they run regular 15W40. So i dont think amsol had anything to so with you motor not locking up.

Obviously you know quite alot about the product since you can spell it incorrectly. Must have done alot of research when you googled it and nothing came up:hammerhead:

Maybe you should try it sometime before knocking the guy. People who drink the "kool-aid" tend to keep buying cases of it.

wanabe
06-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Im just tired if mister know it all(nosparkplugs) on here telling everyone how great his product is. Well if it was then why in the h@ll did it dump all the oil out of the motor? Maybe thats why he should have stuck to the stock filtering system that cummins uses! What a great system you guys have! You really sold me on it! And I dont care how may miles you can put on your oil. Oil is the cheep part of the truck! Have ran shell rotella in 80,000 lb trucks for over 2o years and have had 0 oil related problems! Total snake oil!

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
You don't have to purchase Amsoil products or the By-pass filter system I am just being honest with my experience's. How many folks come on here and tell the good & bad. Most times you only hear the good.

You are entitled to your opinion, I respect it conventional oil works fine, does for lots of business owners, and fleet owners. Extending your oil change intervals saves money, it does not require a dual-bypass filter system like I have.

Like I said here is some pics you will laugh at.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/TRAILERFENDER.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/TRAILEROIL.jpg

Im just tired if mister know it all(nosparkplugs) on here telling everyone how great his product is. Well if it was then why in the h@ll did it dump all the oil out of the motor? Maybe thats why he should have stuck to the stock filtering system that cummins uses! What a great system you guys have! You really sold me on it! And I dont care how may miles you can put on your oil. Oil is the cheep part of the truck! Have ran shell rotella in 80,000 lb trucks for over 2o years and have had 0 oil related problems! Total snake oil!

AmsoilPower
06-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Maybe you should go back and re-read the original post. You will find that it says he (nosparkplugs) custom made the line himself that was rubbing on a sharp surface which eventually wore a hole in the line resulting in the loss of oil. It was not a Amsoil problem. If only everyone would read fully and decipher before spouting off, we all would be alot better off.

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't beleive in Amsoil and neither does most mechanics but thats their opinion and mine aswell. Way too much marketing and pushing Amsoil does you would think they are a Jehova pushing their beleifs.

If you are going to run a synthetic run one that Cummins actually endorses which is the Valvoline Blue.

As for Nosparkplugs he is lucky he caught it in time and got his truck shut down. He shouldn't have waited till a idiot light popped up. When you learn to be a truck driver the first thing you learn is scan the guages every couple minutes while driving down the road. It only takes a second because you can see if you are over heating or oil pressure is dropping.

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I am out of stock of the Amsoil AME 15w-40 diesel oil had to order it, so I had to use Valvoline Blue 3 gallons is what the engine takes with the By-pass filter system. Valvoline is one of the best oils on the market period. I have no problem running Valvoline products, running it right now.

Most mechanics won't endorse AMSOIL it reduce's their income.

GR, You should know big diesels come with by-pass oil filters from the factory, this is not rocket science.

I was scanning the gauge's this all happened quick, and I did shut it down quick too. In fact the engine was just starting to get hot too.

I don't beleive in Amsoil and neither does most mechanics but thats their opinion and mine aswell. Way too much marketing and pushing Amsoil does you would think they are a Jehova pushing their beleifs.

If you are going to run a synthetic run one that Cummins actually endorses which is the Valvoline Blue.

As for Nosparkplugs he is lucky he caught it in time and got his truck shut down. He shouldn't have waited till a idiot light popped up. When you learn to be a truck driver the first thing you learn is scan the guages every couple minutes while driving down the road. It only takes a second because you can see if you are over heating or oil pressure is dropping.

Gravel Rat
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
You have a primary and secondary oil filters but we don't run the oil past the regular intervals.

If Cummins thought the 5.9 should have a primary and secondary oil filter system they would have put one on the engine. H*ll the stock oil filter is something you find on a gasser its a tiny little spin on.

The one mechanic I know he swears by the Vavoline Blue he goes 12,000kms (7500 miles) on it with his power stroke.

You do know Nosparkplugs that accident could have been prevented if you do a bi monthly inspection under your truck and grease the truck. Every couple weeks I inspect the underside of my truck and grease it. You catch things before they fail. Check the U joints the brakes and wires or hoses that are chaffing etc.

nosparkplugs
06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I said I agree all Valvoline lubricants are top of the line, in fact Ashland oil, Valvoline oil company shares many similarities as Amsoil; neither are affiliared with any oil company, and both reject the majority of the oil base stock offered to them buy the big oil companies.

I do get under my truck often to check all parts, I could not foresee this hose blowing:cry:

Were this line rubbed threw their was no way for me to see it, Tow truck owner made me feel better he just got one of his class C 18 wheeler tow trucks back from the same issue blown By-pass oil-line, so it happen's. I had two new lines made at a local Parker Hydraulic hose company their really nice have a heavy duty protective sleeve over the line, and are 100% over kill now.

You have a primary and secondary oil filters but we don't run the oil past the regular intervals.

If Cummins thought the 5.9 should have a primary and secondary oil filter system they would have put one on the engine. H*ll the stock oil filter is something you find on a gasser its a tiny little spin on.

The one mechanic I know he swears by the Vavoline Blue he goes 12,000kms (7500 miles) on it with his power stroke.

You do know Nosparkplugs that accident could have been prevented if you do a bi monthly inspection under your truck and grease the truck. Every couple weeks I inspect the underside of my truck and grease it. You catch things before they fail. Check the U joints the brakes and wires or hoses that are chaffing etc.

Ridin' Around
06-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey, the good news is that you won't have to oil any of those tools on the front of the trailer!