PDA

View Full Version : how to edge shallow stilh kombisystem stick edger fcs

proudx
06-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I've worked really hard leveling out my lawn and do not wish to erod the edges of sand with my stick edger. Whats the best way to work a stick edger so that it is shallow but effective. The manual says the stick edger shouldn't go lower than .20" below soil surface, however, unless I duck as I edger and hold it very far back on the back wheel, I really can't get it higher than about 1 to 1.5" above the soil.

will a shaft extension help, or is a shaft extension more used on say pole pruner/trimmer.

Mowbizz
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I've worked really hard leveling out my lawn and do not wish to erod the edges of sand with my stick edger. Whats the best way to work a stick edger so that it is shallow but effective. The manual says the stick edger shouldn't go lower than .20" below soil surface, however, unless I duck as I edger and hold it very far back on the back wheel, I really can't get it higher than about 1 to 1.5" above the soil.

will a shaft extension help, or is a shaft extension more used on say pole pruner/trimmer.

Your statement doesn't make much sense..."2 tenths of an inch" deep???
That's obiously, wrong. Then you say "1 to 1.5" above the soil" ????
Makes no sense at all...:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Sand as opposed to soil? In any case, I edge about an inch deep with my stick edger. Then I blow whatever soil it pulled up back onto the lawn. Continue to do that and that soil will make any erosion problems a moot point. You could try using a shorted blade on the edger, but that lowers the blade tip speed, and then uncut grass will droop over onto the walkways.

I found that my Redmax stick edger left too many blades of grass uncut and protruding over the edge. I went to a slightly longer blade and that solved that problem.

proudx
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
the manual for stilh says not to edge deeper than .20", no kidding. I think 1inch is reasonable. Sand, sure I could use soil, but I have found sand much easier to get a smooth flat surface than top soil. I use a levelawn tool to spread it over a heavly aerated clay soil to mix the soil profiles. the river sand fills the holes, improves drainage and levels surface and works very well.

STIHL GUY
06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
well i just use my trimmer for edging. it a bit tough for the first cut but its really quick and easy to mantain

cgaengineer
06-21-2009, 12:56 AM

I have topdressed my lawn with sand...you will be fine edging as you would have if you didnt topdress.