PDA

View Full Version : Look at what I just 'stole!'

ericmcj31
06-20-2009, 06:52 AM
As promised in this thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=278395&highlight=just+stole

...my source revealed-and they still have a 72'' at around this price. Yes, a Ferris 3100 30HP 61'' for under 7K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270401740381

topsites
06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I think you better bring it back but now that the curiosity is killing me ....
Come on you can tell us, how did you steal it?

LushGreenLawn
06-20-2009, 09:50 AM
My AV software is telling me the ebay link is a phishing site. cgi.ebay.com?

All ebay sites should begin with www.ebay

topsites
06-20-2009, 09:58 AM

No I think that part is all right, as a former webmaster a lot of that makes sense to me,
but I wouldn't expect everyday surfers to know these things...

That there is a secure page because there's also https://signin.ebay.com/ which is where you'd sign in to ebay,
you can go to ebay.com and then click on their sign in link if you don't trust mine, which, it really is part of ebay.
And I believe motors.ebay.com exists as well as a bunch of others, these are actual sub-domains of ebay.

But the av software is stupid, thou.

ericmcj31
06-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I didn't steal it; that's why 'stole' is quoted-b/c I didn't physically steal it, but I stole it by the price I gave....7K

Quiky One
06-20-2009, 10:34 AM
post up some pics!

topsites
06-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I didn't steal it; that's why 'stole' is quoted-b/c I didn't physically steal it, but I stole it by the price I gave....7K

I'm sorry, now I'm actually kind of glad you didn't see that I was trying to be funny.

Which I think you did good, and to me that's not a bad deal at all, and maybe I am wrong
but it was my opinion that it would have to be a bit less for it to be a true steal?

Because for a demo, no real warranty, again it's not a bad price at all but...
And it may have been a $10k mower new, that's the part I'm not sure of...
I thought you could get a 61" brand new for around 9,000? and it could make that mower cost a lot more than I'm thinking.
The only thing is that 30hp Kohler, those I know are pricey.

Anyhow it's time for other input :p

MowHouston
06-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Go to www.ebay.com and click on any listing. They all start with cgi

razor1
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
I hardly ever see any Ferris tractors. Are they discounting just to boost sluggish sales?

LushGreenLawn
06-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Go to www.ebay.com and click on any listing. They all start with cgi

yeah, your right. I got the info from a little blurb that popped up from Mcafee when I tried to click on it. Now I don't trust my anti-phishing software...

ericmcj31
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry, now I'm actually kind of glad you didn't see that I was trying to be funny.

Which I think you did good, and to me that's not a bad deal at all, and maybe I am wrong
but it was my opinion that it would have to be a bit less for it to be a true steal?

Because for a demo, no real warranty, again it's not a bad price at all but...
And it may have been a $10k mower new, that's the part I'm not sure of...
I thought you could get a 61" brand new for around 9,000? and it could make that mower cost a lot more than I'm thinking.
The only thing is that 30hp Kohler, those I know are pricey.

Anyhow it's time for other input :p

Actually Ferris warranties its demos as if I had bought it new out of the crate. And I actually priced this mower--MSRP is $11,800. My dealer here local said he could sell for $10,800...PLUS tax. That puts me over 11K after tax. Since I bought this mower out of state I had a bill of laden and didn't have to pay any sales tax either!

exmark 1
06-20-2009, 08:37 PM
good luck i always wanted to try the ferris with the shocks

ericmcj31
06-20-2009, 08:49 PM
it's a great ride-but one that comes with a price tag...it makes sense if you're an owner/operator--but not if you're sending your crew of amigos out...but since I use mine most all the time it is a plus for me

topsites
06-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Actually Ferris warranties its demos as if I had bought it new out of the crate. And I actually priced this mower--MSRP is $11,800. My dealer here local said he could sell for $10,800...PLUS tax. That puts me over 11K after tax. Since I bought this mower out of state I had a bill of laden and didn't have to pay any sales tax either!

Technically we are liable on the sales tax, but onwards and all things considered you were right, that is a steal.

Now on the warranty, maybe you have better luck, but around my neck of the woods it's all OBN (Old boy network).
You didn't buy it from the dealer, that dealer won't touch it.
And they don't come right out and say it, but they have given me the run-around so good before that I didn't have to
stop by the third place to know it would just be more of the same, and I know it ain't right but those bastards would NOT
honor a warranty on anything that didn't come out of their store.

What I really should have done is called the manufacturer and had them put a fire up under a dealer's tail over it,
but I needed my stuff running, I was tired of dealing with them and there's no telling they could have kept it 6 months still!
I just took it home, tore into it, found what was wrong with it, and fixed it.

This is one small but not insignificant part of the reason why when it comes to dealers, it's a bit of a sore subject for me.

I've heard other Lco's share similar stories.

ericmcj31
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
yeah; I am really in tight with my dealer. I have been going there religiously for over 10 years now. I have been hounding him to selling me demo this season, but he didn't order any for fear of the economy and what not...nonetheless the bottom line was either I find a mower on a steal, or I'm gonna sit on the one I 've got 'til next year and hope for a demo unit on a good price.

Long story short...I called the dealer, asked him if he had anything that would come CLOSE to that price. Believe you me if he were within 1,000-1500 of that price I would've bought from him just for loyalty and to save me a helluva trip as well (didn't know if you noticed, I am in N. GA and the mower was in Buffalo, NY). He said "Go get you that mower, I can't touch that price." I made sure he was ok w/ it and would still work on it for warranty work and what not and he agreed--we left on good terms...

Instances like that are a big portion to why I keep buying Ferris products. I do love it and the cut, etc....but if this dealer ever changed to another brand, I would follow suit (unless it was something crappy-lol).