PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR-550

MikeKle
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
I posted on here awhile ago about my BR550 being hard to start, Well I took it to the dealer and it started up on the first pull for them?! They checked it over and said nothing was wrong, I fight to get this thing started on every stop! The only thing I can compare it to is trying to start when flooded, but the plug is not wet. It takes about 15 pulls to get it going, and even then, it lacks the power it once had. I have to quickly move it from full choke to full open very quickly or else it will stall out. Im going to try to hold the throttle while starting it today( That worked for a trimmer recently) but that might be hard to do with a back pack blower?!! Is anyone else having this trouble with their Br550 or 600?

topsites
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Nooo, but...

Try starting it with no choke.

tamadrummer
06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Have them look at the carb. Mine did the exact same thing, it was one of the welch plugs. Stihl has had to re-do their epoxy to something that is not affected by ethanol but there may still be machines out there with the old glue and you may have one.

It took 4 months of troubleshooting for them to send it to the Orlando repair shop and they put a new carb on it and no more problems since.