PDA

View Full Version : Blades for a 61" Grasshopper

YardBoss Lawncare
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I've got a 432/61" Grasshopper and was wondering if any 61" set of blades would work, or do you have to use the ones from the dealer?

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
http://www.expressmowerparts.com/

I got blades from them and they are real reasonable. You dont have to get blades from your dealer. If you get the length of the blade and the hole size you should be able to find them by size. They also have a section with blades just for Grasshoppers too.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks. Have you ever ran just the mulch plate on a GH? I don't think a mulch kit would drain too much power on mine since I have a 32 liquid cooled Kubota gas with a 61" deck. I'm just debating on the whole kit vs. the plate.

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks. Have you ever ran just the mulch plate on a GH? I don't think a mulch kit would drain too much power on mine since I have a 32 liquid cooled Kubota gas with a 61" deck. I'm just debating on the whole kit vs. the plate.

Well I have never run a Grasshopper but if you are looking to get true mulching effect on yours I would recommend the mulch kit. With the plate I think the grass is just going to all go against it then clump and leave a trail on your discharge side.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
That's what I was thinking. What about that universal plate with a handle similar to Dixie Chopper's style? I'm trying to eliminate dust in certain areas at one of my accounts, as well as clippings in my face on windy days. On the manicure jobs I could raise the plate so that it didn't clump. What's your input?

Cooter
06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
How is the Grasshopper treating you? We don't hear much about Grasshoppers, especially the midmounts. Does the Duramax deck handle tall/wet grass ok? What about the handling on hills? I did get a demo a few years back on a 727/61. While leaving a smooth after cut it didn't disperse the clippings as well as other mowers. Didn't know if more hp would help that. Yours would certainly have enough hp.

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:35 PM
That's what I was thinking. What about that universal plate with a handle similar to Dixie Chopper's style? I'm trying to eliminate dust in certain areas at one of my accounts, as well as clippings in my face on windy days. On the manicure jobs I could raise the plate so that it didn't clump. What's your input?

For that I think your best bet would be a OCDC - Operator Controlled Discharge Chute. I personally am looking at one made by brand called Power Chute for my Scag.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I love mine. This is the second one i've owned (see my photo thread). It handles the hills great, and i've found that drilling a small 3/8 hole in the end of the disharge chute, attaching a 2' bungee cord, and keeping it folded up gets rid of the clippings in a more even manner.

Cooter
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I am looking at a new mower, either Next Lazer or 335 Grasshopper. The Grasshopper looks like a nice unit, just havn't heard alot about them.

Jason Rose
06-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Grasshopper is very popular around here. I have a 227 61". I have had good luck with it overall. Cuts good in just about all conditions. Only downfall is trying to mow when it's really dewy, but then ALL mowers have a hard time with that.

As for the blades, you aren't going to find much, if any selection other than blades made for grasshopper. They use a smaller center hole (1/2") than most others do. Unlike scag, lesco, etc. that are more one size fits all. I just buy my blades from my dealer. I have bought a set of gator bldes for it online before though, but I only run them in the fall for leaves.

Mulching, you are going to have to install the whole kit or nothing. If you just put the blockoff plate on it will leave a windrow or grass. I agree, an OCDC may be the answer, but it will do the same thing if you try to mow with it down very long.

I demoed a 335 grasshopper. I can tell you, it was a BEAST. I don't thing there's much you could do to it to bog that motor down. Downside is the amount of fuel is sucks down. If you don't need that much engine most of the time, I'd look at the 29hp big block or even steping into a 25hp diesel.

N.TX
06-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I have 2 grasshoppers and run the plates around people or cars. It will not mow near as well as the kit and will leave a line of grass but if you mow around with the discharge side on the inside you can just do that until you get to the end and lift of the deck and disperse the grass line that is left. I also use a pin to put the plate on instead of the screw in fastener that comes with the mower..........takes about 2 seconds to put on and off.

Mowingman
06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Aftermarket blades for any model of Grasshopper are available from many sources. You can get them yourself from J.Thomas, check out their website. Dealers can order aftermarket blades from the Stens, Rotary, or Silver Streak warehouses for you.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks alot for the replies guys.