PDA

View Full Version : Husq Vs Echo Blower

Moneypit
06-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I am purchasing a new back blower and I cant decide between two.

First is the Husqvarna 150BT. $299 at Loews / 50cc / 180mph / 692 CFM / 22.5 lbs / 76db/ 2 yr warranty
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192729-86886-150BT&lpage=none

Second is Echo PB-500 H. $329 at home depot / 50.8cc / 162mph / 450 CFM / 22.9lbs / 5 yr warranty
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100666170&N=10000003+90020+528342+4122

Both of these blowers are overkill for what they will be used for (1/3 acre not many trees). The specs of the Husqvarna are better than the Echo and it is so I was leaning tword the Husq. Just wondering what the pros thought about it. Is the Echo a better product? Or should I just go with the Husqvarna.
I have been visiting this site for a few months and am hooked on all of the information there is here. I look forward to hearing any input that you may have. Thanks for your time.

yarddawgsllc
06-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I believe between the two that Echo is your best choice. I personally use Stihl, but I know quite a few people who use Echo and love them. If mph and cfm's were an issue then I would say go with the Husky, but as you say both are overkill so what does it matter. I believe when it comes to getting the unit serviced/repaired in the future you would be better off with the Echo. Just my two cents.. I'm sure a few others have a totally different point of view.

traman
06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
for home owner use i would go for the echo.$30 difference and you get 3 more years with echo warranty. ps the cfm on the husq.that's rated at the housing.real numbers at the pipe are 494.

tallimeca
06-20-2009, 08:43 PM
we sell both and i couldn't believe the power of the 150's. I should have stocked them sooner. for $300 bucks, it's unreal, and i'm a die hard echo guy.

The 150 is the redmax ebz5000

Pennington Lawncare
06-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I've got the little BT125 Husqvarna and it starts around the 3rd pull every time. Priming is not usually necessary. Just choke it and pull 3 times with the throttle locked in the middle position and when it starts turn off the choke. With the non-user adjustable carbs on the newer Echo's may not be as user friendly. My SRM-210 Echo trimmer is a pain to get started and it cools down quickly and has to be re-primed almost between yards. Husqvarna is what I would choose. Mine has been very reliable. Only changed plugs on it once in 3 or more years.

birdman0494
06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
the 150 is an amazing machine extremley comfortable, doesnt weigh very much, never broke on me after servicing about 700 yards these past 2 years but do use 93 octane

STIHL GUY
06-20-2009, 11:55 PM
i would suggest buying your blower from a dealer so that you will have someone to work on it

unkownfl
06-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Husqvarna any day I have the bt150 and husqvarna 323l trimmer and a echo 225 trimmer and echo 225 edger. The echo stuff is hard to start has no power and pia to put string on. My husqvarna is super easy to start blower starts in less then a full pull and I take the choke off as soon as it starts and go. Only bad thing about the husqvarna stuff is I have to buy from lowes because the dealer is like 30 minutes from me and lowes is like 2.

Moneypit
06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to go with the Husqvarna.
tallimeca: What do you mean when you say The 150 is the redmax ebz5000?

unkownfl
06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to go with the Husqvarna.
tallimeca: What do you mean when you say The 150 is the redmax ebz5000?

I believe he means they are both made by the same manufacturer I believe the same company that owns husqvarna owns redmax now. The husqvarna and red max share the same engine and alot of other parts.

lawnkingforever
06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
The 150BT is the better choice. For 300$, it the best blower in that price range. As others have mentioned it starts very easily compared to the Echo. I would say buy from a dealer if one is close by if not just buy it from Lowes you won't have any problem with it.

Moneypit
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I just bought my blower on the way home from work today. I got the Husqvarna 150BT, but I bought it at Lowes. What are the benefits of buying from the dealer? Will they not work on it if it was purchased somewhere else? There is a dealer 4 miles from my house, so I could always return the one I got from Lowes and buy a new one from the dealer if its worth it.

unkownfl
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
some people seem to think if you buy from them they will repair it faster then if you get it from lowes. It probable is true but to hell with it I would probable just buy a new blower because I would need a back up for the down one anyway.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I have one of each. I prefer using the Husq, my father prefers using the Echo. Both have never let us down, both have plenty of power. The Husq goes through fuel faster than the Echo.

Pennington Lawncare
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Moneypit, how about a review now that you bought the Husqvarna?

Shasta Lake Landscaping
08-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I have the 150bt, so far it has been awesome. Strong, durable, plenty of power. Took off screen and metal plate on the muffler and it's a world of difference.

Alan0354
08-23-2009, 04:43 AM
My vote is Husky 150Bt. This and the Redmax same blower dominates in my area. It is a very well proven work horse. Echo is a brand new model. New is not necessary good now-a-days!!!! That is putting it mildly, with all the carb crap!!!! The price is $299, very reasonable.

tallimeca
08-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Buying it from a dealer is alway your best option as opposed the lowes and home depot. Why pay basically the same money when you can get it from a dealer, set up and running, and you can get parts from then and bring it to them if you have a problem. Despite some posts on this board, not all dealers are idiots (although some of the stories I hear, I understand the stereo type). Plus, can't be any worse then trying to have depot or lowes send it out for repair and not see it for a month plus.

Husqvarna owns Redmax. The 150 is now called the 350 by the way, and it is a redmax built blower. Husqvarna is going be intergrading more and more Redmax stuff this year and Redmax is going to be seeing some major changes from the top down from what I understand.

Thinker
11-07-2009, 12:50 PM
A lot of good info here and other posts. I am reviving the thread since I am in the same boat as the original poster and have a few more questions. I have to blow a good amount of oak leaves. I am considering the Echo PB500 and Husky 150BT, but I am leaning toward the Husky because of the power. I have a few concerns though: I read some reliability problems with the Redmax engine (not sure if the the Kawasaki engine or Redmax). Is the 150BT a Redmax design and not a cost reduced Husky? What is the difference with Husky 350 BT , it has slightly different specs? Is oil quality more critical in the Husky? Any feedback on the Echo PB500 reliability, since this is a new engine? Thanks

360ci
11-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I've owned an Echo PB2000 (now PB200) since new and is now in it's tenth year of use. I replaced the spark plug for the fourth time this spring and the thing just won't die. Best $227 (Canadian $ with taxes) I ever spent. If I had to estimate, I'd put a solid 500-600hours on the machine. The only thing I replaced was the screen in the muffler (three times). For the last 6 years I've been running Amsoil Saber 100:1 mix with NO problems and no more excess oil coming out the exhaust.

Landscape Poet
11-07-2009, 03:03 PM
we sell both and i couldn't believe the power of the 150's. I should have stocked them sooner. for $300 bucks, it's unreal, and i'm a die hard echo guy.

The 150 is the redmax ebz5000

I have the redmax ebz5000 as a backup - still very very new but I have to say although it is not as good as my 8001 - it would suit my needs very well - the price was much more friendly too - I got out the door for $269 from local irrigation place that had a sale on them.

I have not used the echo backpack blower - just sharing my experience and hope that helps you

Alan0354
11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I have the redmax ebz5000 as a backup - still very very new but I have to say although it is not as good as my 8001 - it would suit my needs very well - the price was much more friendly too - I got out the door for $269 from local irrigation place that had a sale on them.

I have not used the echo backpack blower - just sharing my experience and hope that helps you

I'll take the 150Bt/EBZ5000 any time of the day. It is cheaper hear and 50% of the LCO here use either one of them. The Echo is too new with new engine. New is not good in this CARB enviroment.

FYS777
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Go with echo, like some one said, 5 year warranty, uses less fuel.:):) you wont be disappointed!!!!!

Thinker
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I did some reading of past posts and found some starting and power problems with Redmax Strato engines about 1-2 years ago. The problems were tough to diagnose and fix. Looks like all the Redmax blower engines are Strato now including the 150BT/ebz5000. Anyone know if these problems have been sorted out? I am sure other brands have had problems, but this looked to be common problem with the RM Strato engines.

AmGreen
11-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Thinker, go with the Husky. We're gradually reducing our Echo equipment and replacing it with more Husqvarna.

Found one an older 145 laying around in storage the other week. Thought I'd pull it out and see if it would start. Added a little fresh fuel to it, started on the second pull. Probably hadn't been run in 2 years.

If you need the power, go with the 180 - AWESOME!

Alan0354
11-23-2009, 05:36 AM
I did some reading of past posts and found some starting and power problems with Redmax Strato engines about 1-2 years ago. The problems were tough to diagnose and fix. Looks like all the Redmax blower engines are Strato now including the 150BT/ebz5000. Anyone know if these problems have been sorted out? I am sure other brands have had problems, but this looked to be common problem with the RM Strato engines.

I think other brands have the same issue due to the CARB!!! The 4 cycle blowers don't have that particular issue but them do have their share of complains.....take your poison!!! As I said, a loooooot of LCO in my area use either of these two. Can't be that wrong!!! for the money($299) and the power (496cfm), don't think you have anything can beat that.

XLS
11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
we run them and they are great for regular maintenance and light leaves if you do leaves ....enough said.

They start fine but after running the 150-350's in the field ,the tubes are thin they flex alot but dont sepperate apart at the joints , after they are used a while you will see.

the 170 bt heck even the older 125 and 150 didnt have this problem the 350 does. husquvarn does need to fix this !!!! we take off the tubes off to the last one then add another extention because anymore they want to flop around .

bobcat48
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
i got the echo pb500h best backpack blower ive ever used good for fall cleanups and grass clippings.

MONTE
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I would have to say Echo the redmax units are having problems.

XLS
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
that would be my only complaint i can think of on the entire husqvarna line . I hear this complaint form every crew i have using them ,and i personally i wil be going to the 170 and 180 bt units as a company whole .

SW Services
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
while buying echo from a reputable mower shop is advisable for someone in the commerical trade, I have my echo blower which was purchased at HD and have had it for 4yrs used commercially, and it has been replaced once due to a blown motor under the 5yr warranty no questions asked. The trick is to not let HD know you use it commercially. If you take care of the body of the blower, there is pretty much no way to tell whether its used commercially or homeowner only. I do not see the problem with a homeowner making the purchase at HD if its only going to be used a few times a yr then winterized properly and taken care of properly. I do agree with supporing a local shop, but for a homeowner, i see no negative in purchasing from HD. I do make 95% of my purchases from private shops, but for certain things I use HD.

XLS
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
you will when the factory calls homedepo and ask to speek to you for the claim .
they tare it down and then they can tell . it happened to us had an engine on a vac go out on a lowes vac i took it back said it just died and was ho they shipped it to my closest dealer and that dealer showed a denied forum the company deamed it neglect due to dirt ingestion not defect and it cost 80.00 in shippings and the 1/2 of the new ones price .....i told the dealer it looked like now he had 2 units defective and walked away mad .

SW Services
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
you will when the factory calls homedepo and ask to speek to you for the claim .
they tare it down and then they can tell . it happened to us had an engine on a vac go out on a lowes vac i took it back said it just died and was ho they shipped it to my closest dealer and that dealer showed a denied forum the company deamed it neglect due to dirt ingestion not defect and it cost 80.00 in shippings and the 1/2 of the new ones price .....i told the dealer it looked like now he had 2 units defective and walked away mad .

how can dirt ingestion on a product made to vacuum up leaves(i think thats the vac your referring to) become neglect? Anything designed to point towards the ground and then suck into a chamber things such as leaves is GOING to take in debris and dirt. When it comes to vacs I have the poulan blow-n-vac. It is very very inexpensive to replace the fan blade on this unit, and with proper care and fuel treatment it takes the beating that come with commerical use. For certain things Poulan is an ok bet if you are looking for something disposable after a few years. I like my ryobi electric start blower for simple blowing off of driveways, porches and and walkways. Not a gas hog, not loud, and simple to start. Anythign else I would worry about the unit if it was used on leaf jobs the whole entire year. But for the little things, it is great.

Alan0354
12-10-2009, 01:57 AM

Does the vac looked like it went through the ringer, all beat up? That would raise suspicion. What make you think if you buy it from a dealer, they would not give you lame excuse and still charge you money?

You buy from Lowes, are you supposed to treat those cheap stuff as throw away? Or you bought the extended warranty and try to pull a fast one on them?:laugh:

Homedepot have no extended warranty that I know of, after 30 days, you are on your own. He must have exchange within 30 days. I don't think HD deal with any warranty......at least in my area.

I think the best way is to get the same brand as cheap as possible and stay with the same model. Learn a little fixing and do your own maintenance for those small hand held which are very easy to fix.

XLS
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
the dealer said the dirt ingestion was because we didnt change the air filter enough

this was a lawn vac and it was a 800.oo throw away but we bough an air filter and replaced it and yet they said we didnt take care of it and this thing looked new because it was 3 months old . i know it was bs thats why i walked aaway from the dealer , he wasnt mine and i didnt care what he said it was junk not ingestion . i know this isnt blowers i was just saying the can check.

my personal dealer would have changed the oil and airfilter and lied for me but he wasnt a dealer for this unit i only buy from 1 dealer reguardless what he carries if he dont have it i dont want it ... dealer support must have it.