PDA

View Full Version : Need a new push/self propelled mower

kennymacdonald
06-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm going to sell my riding mower. We rented a house on an acre and a half of land and it was perfect. Now we just bought a brand new house on a 170x90 lot and I'd like to get a push/self propelled mower. I actually think I can mow faster and get the corners better with a push mower because I don't have to use the weeder as much, plus I want the workout and exercise.

I'd like to get a nice one with a bagger/mulch and side discharge (mulch is optional). My lot is pretty level and is bermuda. Also like to have one that is self propelled but I can push it if I want and is height adjustable.

I've noticed most of the nicer mowers at Home Depot/Lowes/Sears have two different engine types: torque or cc. CC is kind of new to me. Which one would I want?

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

kaferhaus
06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Wrong forum... post it in the "homeowner assistance forum"

Or better yet, use the search function..... same question is asked almost every day.

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Kenny for a home owner use, I would highly recommend one of the upper end Snappers. I have one with a 7 horse engine on it and the Ninja mulching blade and it works really well. If you want to spend about double of what the Snapper is going to cost you I would recommend the Toro or Exmark 21 inch professional mower. They are built like a tank.

kennymacdonald
06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forums :(

Thanks greenred for your reply.

greenred
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forums :(

Thanks greenred for your reply.

No prob Kenny. But yeah do a search on here and you will find hundreds of threads about 21 inch mowers. I hear the honda brand mowers are really good too but I have never used one.

Heintooga
06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I've noticed most of the nicer mowers at Home Depot/Lowes/Sears have two different engine types: torque or cc. CC is kind of new to me. Which one would I want?

Stay away from "Home Depot/Lowes/Sears" and get to an independent dealer for sales & service. For Bermuda you'll need torque and sharp blades. If you're convinced you need a bagger Snapper and Honda are the best choices. I have commercial versions of Snapper and Honda and I'd choose Snapper because the dealers seem to have more room to negotiate price. Unless one cares to nitpick them apart there's no appreciable difference in cut, mulching or bagging. For what it's worth, the trendy crowd prefers Honda. The crowd that wants a workhorse prefer Snapper. But in the long run it should come down to which dealer you are more confident in and more comfortable with.
ps...Too bad you're on the other end of the state or you could live test mine.