PDA

View Full Version : liriope

KerryB
04-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Ok guys I have a new customer who's last lco didnt cut her liriope back. She has so much of the stuff and it already has new growth in it. If I cut with a mower will damage the tender new growth, if I cut with hand clippers might take 7 hrs.
Not sure how to price it. Dont want to run her off but she has 12 beds with the stuff around the entire beds and all around the house.
Would you think $350.00 to be too much?

LawnLad
04-09-2002, 12:54 PM
We cut lirope back each year. If you get to it early enough, we treat it like ornamental grasses, we'll use gas powered hedge shears on 'em.

However, if you've got the new growth coming in, I would use hand pruners/shears. She waited until now to address it - so let her pay for it. Tell her next year you'll take care of it in February/March so it's not a problem again.

Or, you can leave it and the new growth will fill in and mostly disguise the old looking junk.

Do you have to weed/clean up the beds? The way lirope spreads, do you have to control the off shoots to thin the bed? If you're already there thinning the crop, you might as well use the hand pruners to cut the tops off too.

KerryB
04-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks, no she says we will clean the beds later. Although they do need thinning out. Looks as though the last person here didnt do much.

George777
04-09-2002, 08:25 PM
I kick it back in Feb. I'm not sure if you would hurt it by mowing at this time of year. I would let it go if it is putting off new growth. Temp here in Bama is in the 80's.

Dennis
04-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Lawndoctor
You can still cut it back, you will slow it's regrowth but will not damage it. I Always use my mower with deck all the way up, it is fast and does a good job. If you cant get a mower on it I use a string trimmer, just make sure it has the power.
If you must do it with hand trimmers then by all means charge greatly, it is not hard but it does take a lot of time.
hope this will help you
Dennis

tlcservices
04-14-2002, 08:30 AM
if its to big it will need to be divided. why do you trim it anyway?

Lanelle
04-14-2002, 10:32 AM
OK, your question about why has to do with geography. Since you are in Florida, it is a mystery to you. In more northern climates, the freezing weather, snow and ice makes the blades turn brown in spots and mashes the foliage to the ground. Cutting off the old top growth gets rid of the unattractive foliage. The new growth quickly takes its place and the client is happy again and the landscaper made a little extra money.