PDA

View Full Version : Used stihl BR340 or new stihl BG86

Nichols Quality Yard Care
06-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, I have a buddy who has a used BR340 he is gonna sell me for $230 or I could buy a brand new Stihl BG86 from my dealer for the same price. I like the fact that the handheld has a vaccum/mulch option and it is new. But a backpack would be nice...when it gets closer to fall. What do yall think I should spend the cash on.

Cuttinitclose
06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Whats the 340's condition?

06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh yeah. The backpack is in great condition and its a friend who takes care of his gear. i got a great deal from him on an edger.

Cuttinitclose
06-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I think there both similar MPH/CFM wise. Do you currently have any type of blower. I have the BG86 and its good for medium duty stuff and I have a BR 600 for the big stuff. I'd say its a toss up, on the back or, in the hand. General rule 8+ min go for BP less than 8 min HH.

tlc23
06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
They were only $299 new.

ed2hess
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Go with the new one......price for used stuff is generally half the amount he is asking.

06-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I guess Im just gonna offer my buddy less...like say $150 and if he dont take it then Ill get the bg89.

I do currently have a hand held older JD pos. Its fine for blowing a few grass clipings around, starts up everytime on pull 1 or 2.

Cuttinitclose
06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Id offer $175 and if no go; do with the BG86.

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Sweet Jesus, get the backpack. Dang handhelds are tough on the shoulder joints.

You can thank me later.

BTW, the 340's are tough...practically indestructible. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 340.

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I guess Im just gonna offer my buddy less...like say $150 and if he dont take it then Ill get the bg89.

I do currently have a hand held older JD pos. Its fine for blowing a few grass clipings around, starts up everytime on pull 1 or 2.

The 340's are commercial grade. Your handheld is not. IMO, it's not really a choice. I wouldn't go near the handheld if I could get my hands on a backpack.

With the backpack you can do leaves, parking lots and etc. Forget that with the handheld...

tamadrummer
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
The JD handheld is a commercial robin machine. Actually one of the only pieces of decent JD handheld out there.

I have an edger, trimmer, blower and split boom in JD and they all suck!

Buy the hand held blower from Stihl and put an E3 3.12 plug in it. Later buy the BR600 and don't look back.

Think Green
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Tama,
I use the BR 340's during the spring and summer............the fall goes to the BR 600 and the PB 751T's.
I can see that you are a Dream Theatre fan?? Mike Portnoy all the way!! Drummer myself and have put the kit on the shelf.......done with that lifestyle.

mowerdude777
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I am susprised with how many of you say he should get the bp blower. I have been using a bg55 since my bp was stolen and I am fine with it

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
The JD handheld is a commercial robin machine. Actually one of the only pieces of decent JD handheld out there.

I have an edger, trimmer, blower and split boom in JD and they all suck!

Buy the hand held blower from Stihl and put an E3 3.12 plug in it. Later buy the BR600 and don't look back.

JD isn't one of the options. JD isn't under discussion. JD handheld isn't comparable to a Stihl residential handheld. The BR600 isn't on the table.

WTF?

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I am susprised with how many of you say he should get the bp blower. I have been using a bg55 since my bp was stolen and I am fine with it

I'm surprised that anyone would suggest something other than the backpack.

I can't imagine someone using a handheld to move leaves or clean a parking lot.

Oh well, that's just me.

Big Red Ferris
06-20-2009, 10:44 PM
i have a brand new 86 i love it

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a BG85 and I would vomit if I had to use if for more than 15 minutes at a time. It does a good job for little bitty stuff...not the kind of equipment you would want commercially though.

Cuttinitclose
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Like I said earlier if you got more than eight minutes of blowing w/ a handheld get the backpack. If not stick w/ handheld and buy a BR550 or 600 later. There well worth it.

STIHL GUY
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
i just sold my 4 year old BR340 for $200. it was a great blower but i decided it was time to upgrade to the BR600

tamadrummer
06-21-2009, 05:29 AM
JD isn't one of the options. JD isn't under discussion. JD handheld isn't comparable to a Stihl residential handheld. The BR600 isn't on the table.

WTF?

If you could read and add 2+2 you would see that he already has the JD hand-held and I believe it was you that said it is not commercial.

YES it is a commercial hand held blower and it is made by robin.

I also see that the 600 is not on the table but for less than $150 more he can get the 600 and be done wondering if he made the right move being cheap buying the smallest BP blower Stihl makes.

I know it is hard to do but read all of the posts and try to do some simple addition. It all makes sense in the long run. :clapping:

lawnboy dan
06-21-2009, 09:35 AM
unless they have fixed the hard starting issue on the bg 85-. i wouldnt buy another-or any other sthil for that matter

wnccutter
06-21-2009, 10:18 AM
If you could read and add 2+2 you would see that he already has the JD hand-held and I believe it was you that said it is not commercial.

YES it is a commercial hand held blower and it is made by robin.

I also see that the 600 is not on the table but for less than $150 more he can get the 600 and be done wondering if he made the right move being cheap buying the smallest BP blower Stihl makes.

I know it is hard to do but read all of the posts and try to do some simple addition. It all makes sense in the long run. :clapping:

Mea Culpa. JD was under discussion. :waving:

I have a 600 and it is the best machine I have ever used for leaves. But, IMO, it's too much for everyday use. I've turned patio furniture over trying to clear clippings off of patios with my 600. So, I use 420's for the everyday in and out.

But, I see your point about waiting and trying to put together a few more bucks to purchase the 600. It is a superior machine and would give the poster more options.

Commercially, I think handhelds are okay for small clean-ups but I can't imagine using them for blowing clippings off driveways, or breaking clumps of grass after wet cuts on 10,000 sq/ft lawns.

Sorry again for snarling. I blame it on being out in the sun yesterday for 10 hours in the high humidity and high temperatures. :hammerhead:

TheHammer
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I would go for the Br340 because it would be more productive for bigger jobs.

06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I generally have only a few minutes of blowing at each house. I would just use my JD until closer to fall then buy a BR600 but I want to have something a little more powerful for now. I still plan to buy a 600 towards the end of summer for doing leaves but those are $500 bucks. Over double my current blower budget.

does it become a pain straping on a backpack just to blow a few clippings at small houses??

If i buy the BG86 now then the BR600 towards the fall, I would have both.
I think it would be kinda nice having the best of both worlds..handheld and backpack.

Cuttinitclose
06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I generally have only a few minutes of blowing at each house. I would just use my JD until closer to fall then buy a BR600 but I want to have something a little more powerful for now. I still plan to buy a 600 towards the end of summer for doing leaves but those are $500 bucks. Over double my current blower budget.

does it become a pain straping on a backpack just to blow a few clippings at small houses??

If i buy the BG86 now then the BR600 towards the fall, I would have both.
I think it would be kinda nice having the best of both worlds..handheld and backpack.

That is exactly what I have. Both Stihls best. Someone mentioned earlier that starting was hard. Its not 1 pull on half choke and it fires right up. Its always better to have to much power than not enough, let off the trigger.

wnccutter
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Not at all. You get so use to it that it's not even an issue.

Major point though, I have a holder on my open trailer for it so it's not a problem for me.

I use my blower so much that to me that I can't envision using a handheld every day. IMO, it's better to not have to hold it, the exhaust in front of me and my arm is not tired at the end of the day.

We do use a handheld for small jobs though. Interior gardens, hitting sidewalks after fertilizing and etc....especially when we are using one of the trucks not pulling a trailer.

mowerdude777
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm surprised that anyone would suggest something other than the backpack.

I can't imagine someone using a handheld to move leaves or clean a parking lot.

Oh well, that's just me.

I have not done any clean ups with my hand held, I use to have a bp blower but it was stolen 3 weeks ago, and I only do residentail at this point

mowerbrad
06-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I have run my br340 for 6 years and have not had any problems with it. Its a great blower and indistructable, during clean-ups it can sometimes be running 10 hours per day. Once you start doing any type of leaf clean-up a bp blower is much nicer than a handheld.

lawnboy dan
06-23-2009, 06:12 PM
i agree the br600 is too much for daily use. i use my 15yr old br400 for this.