PDA

View Full Version : Mowing at 3.5 inches... an issue.

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I usually mow at 3 inches, but with all the rain here which has caused some very serious fungus infections, I raised the deck on my Quick to 3 1/2 inches to hide some of the brown from fungus damage. This has helped but...

I have found that at this height, the front wheels make the grass lay down, and even with high lift blades, I have stringers that only pop back up after the blades have passed, sometimes even not until the next day. As long as the deck is clean and the blades are sharp, cutting at 3 inches is no problem, nice even cut. I can double cut which solves the problem, but I sure wish there was a way to get the grass that went under those front wheels to stand back up.

Maybe there are blades that have higher lift than the ones I have would help? What are the best high lift blades? Could that fix the problem? Any other suggestions? This problem worsens if the grass is wet. It tends to lay down even more, but we get rain near every day... I have to mow when it's wet pretty often.

dishboy
06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I usually mow at 3 inches, but with all the rain here which has caused some very serious fungus infections, I raised the deck on my Quick to 3 1/2 inches to hide some of the brown from fungus damage. This has helped but...

I have found that at this height, the front wheels make the grass lay down, and even with high lift blades, I have stringers that only pop back up after the blades have passed, sometimes even not until the next day. As long as the deck is clean and the blades are sharp, cutting at 3 inches is no problem, nice even cut. I can double cut which solves the problem, but I sure wish there was a way to get the grass that went under those front wheels to stand back up.

Maybe there are blades that have higher lift than the ones I have would help? What are the best high lift blades? Could that fix the problem? Any other suggestions? This problem worsens if the grass is wet. It tends to lay down even more, but we get rain near every day... I have to mow when it's wet pretty often.

Lower your mower, raising the mower is only going to keep that grass wet longer making the fungus worse.

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Lower your mower, raising the mower is only going to keep that grass wet longer making the fungus worse.

I have increased the N to help top growth hide the fungus damage, but if it is raining just about every day, the grass is gonna stay wet no matter what height I'm cutting at. I've also been applying fungicides for those customers willing to pay for it... not all are.

Thanks for the response, but even cutting at 3 inches exposes an awful lot of brown. Until we get some sun and dry weather, people still want to see green, not brown stems. I don't know if a half inch is going to make much of a difference in how quickly the turf can dry out.

dishboy
06-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I have increased the N to help top growth hide the fungus damage, but if it is raining just about every day, the grass is gonna stay wet no matter what height I'm cutting at. I've also been applying fungicides for those customers willing to pay for it... not all are.

Thanks for the response, but even cutting at 3 inches exposes an awful lot of brown. Until we get some sun and dry weather, people still want to see green, not brown stems. I don't know if a half inch is going to make much of a difference in how quickly the turf can dry out.

!/8 inch usually cleans things up. Unless it is Red thread or rust more N is probably compounding your problem.

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
!/8 inch usually cleans things up. Unless it is Red thread or rust more N is probably compounding your problem.

It's ALL red thread. Some dollar spot, but it's the red thread that is the problem. I've put down enough N, but I suspect all the rain has washed it away to a large extent, so I've shortened the time between my fert apps from 6 to 5 weeks apart.

metro36
06-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I have been cutting most of my lawns at 2.25 because my customers have requested that. :dizzy: My own lawn and a few other really good ones get cut a 3.