PDA

View Full Version : Stihl 4-mix Trimmers

cuttenup
06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought a new Stihl FS-90 and have used it several times. I must say that I am a little dispointed with it. It does not spool up as fast or have no where near the power as my Red Max 2610 that has the Strato Charge engine on it. I have several other older pieces of Stihl equipment that have done great for me. Maybe Im just not use to the 4-mix. Anyone else had this problem? I bought the FS-90 because of all the great things that I had herd about it.

Cuttinitclose
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I love mine. It will take time to get used to, if your used to the Redmax.

lawnproslawncare
06-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Love mine...not much else to say

KCfireman
06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Love all of mine.

Bunton Guy
06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I had terrible luck with all of our stihl 4-mix equipment. Not one peice lived past a year and a half of use. Sythetic oils were used and good quality fuel.....valves would need to be adjusted way to often, would run rough, underpowered , loose power quick inbetween tune ups & hard to start when hot/warm.

I don't think this was a wide spread issue...but enough that we will never try 4-mix crap anymore. I hate anything that adds extra maintenance....and adding valves just made things more comlicated. Simplicity is the way to go.

justanotherlawnguy
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
That will be the first of MANY disappointments with that pos. Mine has gone airborne so many times! It has been in for service top many times to count.
They blow.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
I hated it Buton guy is correct always getting valve adjustments and under powered for us sell them now to some one who loves them but it was not me or any of my guys

Scagguy
06-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I have 6 RX 100 trimmers and have not had a probelm with any of them. They are run hard all day 5 days a week. Most are 2 years old. We run 89 octane and Opti 2 in them.

ed2hess
06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I have 6 RX 100 trimmers and have not had a probelm with any of them. They are run hard all day 5 days a week. Most are 2 years old. We run 89 octane and Opti 2 in them.

Did you get those thru McCoys?

topsites
06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I think this is probably one of the best reasons behind brand loyalty, just run what works and forget all the rest.

93Chevy
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I think this is probably one of the best reasons behind brand loyalty, just run what works and forget all the rest.

Exactly. I bought Echo and won't turn back unless something goes wrong.

Roger
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I have an FS90, and couldn't be more pleased. It has more power than my older FS85 2 cycle trimmer, started easier. The throttle response is different, but that doesn't make it better or worse for me, it just has a little different feel. I've never touched the valves so all the complications of the valves and the "always needing to adjust valves" stories means nothing to me.

This is another thread, like many others. It doesn't matter the piece of equipment -- some people have great success and love to own/use with something, and others have had nothing but problems with exactly the same item. Choose the piece of equipment. The same patterns in threads emerge over time. Some can't praise something enough, the same piece that somebody can't hate enough. Interesting. Why is this so?

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I have an FS90, and couldn't be more pleased. It has more power than my older FS85 2 cycle trimmer, started easier. The throttle response is different, but that doesn't make it better or worse for me, it just has a little different feel. I've never touched the valves so all the complications of the valves and the "always needing to adjust valves" stories means nothing to me.

This is another thread, like many others. It doesn't matter the piece of equipment -- some people have great success and love to own/use with something, and others have had nothing but problems with exactly the same item. Choose the piece of equipment. The same patterns in threads emerge over time. Some can't praise something enough, the same piece that somebody can't hate enough. Interesting. Why is this so?

I remember an old wive's tale... never buy an automobile that rolled out of the factory on a Friday. True? Or not? All factories will turn out a bad machine based on a good design. That might be the reason right there...

93Chevy
06-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Exactly. I bought Echo and won't turn back unless something goes wrong.

On second thought, just wanted to clear up that I have no intention to push Echo on anybody. I've had good experiences and will relate them, but I won't implore anybody to buy the same equipment as me.

Scagguy
06-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Did you get those thru McCoys?

No.... A+ Outdoor Power in Leander. Tried to do biz with McCoys several times. Let's just say it didn't work out. I know you like them and have a good relationship with them. A+ is closer to me anyway.

wnccutter
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, I just bought a RX100 and it does a good job. My main trimmer before this one was a FS85.

I was concerned about the spool up but that has not been a problem.

Also, in terms of torque, the RX100 is pretty close to my FS250. I wish I had gone with the RX series before now. Anyway, live and learn.

browningv308
06-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a fs 90 that is a year and a half old and it has had the valves adjusted 4 times already and the other day it felt low on power again the first job of the day it will start fine and run like a top after that its hard to start and feels like its running at half power still dealer keeps telling me that I'm using the wrong fuel but i run 89 or 93 in it with the ultra synthetic oil I'm really starting to think about getting rid of this thing and switch brands but don't know what to get too bad because all of my hand helds are made by sthill

HenryB
06-21-2009, 10:09 AM
All the complaints are about the fs 90. I've got 4 fs 100 rx's.They have been great. My dealer was really pushing the 90. But it's heavier and yes I use attatchments for 3 yrs not one shaft replaced or broken.:clapping:

Oldtimer
06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I have 6 RX 100 trimmers and have not had a problem with any of them. They are run hard all day 5 days a week. Most are 2 years old. We run 89 octane and Opti 2 in them.

Scagguy won't have any problems with that combination. I have used Opti-2 mixed with BP (AMOCO) 89 octane since 1983 and everything we sell and service leaves the store with Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1. We use Opti-2 in every 2 cycle & 4 cycle engine we sell and service.

If anyone has any doubts about Optimol's products it's because they haven't tried them. During my many years in this industry, both as a LCO and a dealer, I have yet to experience any problems with any Optimol products.

LCO----1983-1996
Dealer--1985-Present

http://www.opti2-4.com/

Oldtimer

cuttenup
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
I bought the FS-90 mainly because you can put different head attachments on it. I was going to buy the FS80 or RX100 but the dealer told me that Stihl did not recommend putting any other attachment on either one of those trimmers. HenryB. What attachments do you use on you RX 100?

HenryB
06-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I bought the FS-90 mainly because you can put different head attachments on it. I was going to buy the FS80 or RX100 but the dealer told me that Stihl did not recommend putting any other attachment on either one of those trimmers. HenryB. What attachments do you use on you RX 100?

Chainsaw and hedge trimmer

lawnboy dan
06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
my shindawia 4 mix stick edger has been flawless for 2 yrs . they got 4 mix right!

Roger
06-21-2009, 10:14 PM
In the threads that discuss Stihl 4-Mix products, a common theme runs through them. No, I'm not going back and doing a detailed analysis, but it seems like some people who have problems include comments about valve adjustments. Somebody above talked about having four valve adjustments. People who have had good experiences never speak about valve adjustments (or rarely).

One thing that I don't believe has been ever posted on this Section, or the Mechanics Section, is a detailed, pictorial supported, description of adjusting the valves. The User's Manual says next to nothing. I know the question about "how to do it" has been asked, but I don't recall ever seeing a thread devoted to the task. I'm not intending to make a generalized statement about improper valve adjustments. But I am suggesting that if somebody has done the job, believe they have done it right, and have a good working history of their machine afterwards, create a thread, with pictures, discussing exactly what should be done, and how to do it. It would be a valuable thread.

mowerbrad
06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I bought a 100RX at the beginning of last season and have had NO problems yet. The thing that I needed to get used to was the sound of the machine. The sound is different than the 2-cycle equipment I was using before. I have not had to adjust the valves yet and it has never had to go in for service yet. I truly like mine and think it is the best trimmer I have bought yet.

browningv308
06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Good point Roger-- I second that someone please post 4 mix valve adjustment instructions on this forum I have asked my dealer for a repair manual and they said a repair manual is not available for the public and the user manual is says nothing about valve adjustment I would love to cut out the dealer and just fix it my self

lawnproslawncare
06-22-2009, 12:23 AM
LOL you guys don't understand that the E.P.A doesn't want you changing any settings with small engines. It will undoubtedly change the emission settings of the engine and pollute the environment!

Well...that's what they think! HA

BadRancher
06-22-2009, 06:44 AM
LOL you guys don't understand that the E.P.A doesn't want you changing any settings with small engines. It will undoubtedly change the emission settings of the engine and pollute the environment!

Well...that's what they think! HA

Thats right. Thats why Stihl is going to 4mix. Looks like I need to make a call to my dealer and tell him to let me know when they get down to the last few fs80's. I'm not sure what they are gonna do because they do not sell any 4 mix Stihl equipment because of quality concerns. My main question is what will happen to the Stihl saws with this 4 mix crap?

Richard Martin
06-22-2009, 07:28 AM
One thing that I don't believe has been ever posted on this Section, or the Mechanics Section, is a detailed, pictorial supported, description of adjusting the valves. The User's Manual says next to nothing. I know the question about "how to do it" has been asked, but I don't recall ever seeing a thread devoted to the task.

You need to follow my postings more. :)

I just posted a video explaining how to do it and included part numbers for the valve adjustment kit last week in this forum.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3046177&postcount=29

I also have the factory service manual for 4-Mixes available in PDF form for download if anyone is interested.

DaddyRabbit
06-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I have had great/the best luck with the 4-mix design from Stihl. I have a BR-600 and an FS-110 and have always ran 93 octane w/the white bottle Stihl synthetic lubricant. Both generally start 1st or 2nd attempt. The way it was explained to me is the 4-Mix is a 4 cycle less the oil pan to nullify the weight issues that would accompany such thereby the premix.

All_Toro_4ME
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm still on the fence about my FS-90. It's still new and under warranty but have yet to get real impressed with it with that "WOW" factor that everyone talks about on here. It does fine when it "wants" to start between the 1st and 3rd pulls, but after going hard past 4 yards, in the heat, it starts acting up. Hard to start, starts, then dies etc. It just seems very finicky. It can be a bear to start in the mornings as well. Never in 10 years had the problems with my shindy stuff that I'm experiencing with this Stihl 4mix line. It's been to the dealer already for this, supposedly fixed, but its going back again today. While it does take much longer to spool the head, I just keep an extra spool pre-loaded handy and swap them out when it's time. I'll stick with my reliable shindy stuff for now.

bonddude
07-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Posted via Mobile Device