PDA

View Full Version : My Wright Stander !

Raking-It-In
06-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Well i bit the bullet and baught a 36 Rapid Height 17 horse eletric start. I have 1 problem..... it tears up the grass easily!. When i it allso makes pretty decent ruts in the lawn. whats the fix? I am thinkiing i was better off with my scags!

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I've never been a fan of walkers or ride ons due to the weight which causes rutting if mowing patterns are repeated or the damage they do to turf when making 180's.

Even my small WB can rut and rip, especailly on wet turf... and I like all the walking vs riding or standing. If I as a 54 year old can walk.... so can anyone else! :weightlifter::laugh:

metro36
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Try turning 90 degrees at the end of the row, back up then make the last 90 degree turn instead of doing a 180. Try and keep both wheels moving as you turn. I can turn just about any machine on wet turf this way without tearing.

Witney I agree with you as far as walking. It does not bother me except on my 1 acre lawns.

DT Lawn Care
06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Try turning 90 degrees at the end of the row, back up then make the last 90 degree turn instead of doing a 180. Try and keep both wheels moving as you turn.

Yes, on hydros, you should do 3-point turns. On standers, wheels are individually driven so that one can go in reverse while the other is in forward. That way, you won't have one wheel stopped and turning, thus tearing the grass. On belt WBs, you just take wider turns, and keep your braked wheel turning a little.

lawns Etc
06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
You cannot get rid of the rutting issue with that mower its wheel base is very narrow and it puts the weight down on the turf this has been a problem. Dry condition it will get less noticable. You can adjust the sensitivity on the hydros and this will help a bit with the tearing but you will still have to do a 3 pt turn if its wet. I lost a few accounts that I used the same mower on because of the rutting.

Whitey4
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Try turning 90 degrees at the end of the row, back up then make the last 90 degree turn instead of doing a 180. Try and keep both wheels moving as you turn. I can turn just about any machine on wet turf this way without tearing.

Witney I agree with you as far as walking. It does not bother me except on my 1 acre lawns.

I have no lawns near that large... if I did, a WB would not be my choice either! My largest is only a bit over a 1/4 acre, yet there are lots of guys around here using standers and even ride ons.

Even my Quick 32 at about 315 pounds can rut lawns. I work around that by changing mowing patterns and often using a trim mower near beds and fences so that my WB wheels aren't always in the same track. On some new customer properties, if I follow the old landscaper's tracks, it's a smooth trip... cut across his old patterns, and the machine bounces all over the place when going over ruts. It takes more time, as the ruts go in the direction that make the lawn faster to cut, but I can see a difference and I point it out to my customers.

ed2hess
06-20-2009, 09:40 PM
You got the 18x800-10 and you are rutting? That is the downside of any riding mower can't get tires much wider on the 36" units.

TL1981
06-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I have the same machine and same problems at first. Then I read on here to let some air pressure out of the tires so they are a little more flat on the turf to spread the weight out better.

As others have said the 3 point seems to be the way to go if you don't want to tear up the turf.